hyerjohn

Water Landforms, Systems, and Health

With persistent severs and bases progressing, I feel it should be fair to add a river, that is more more than just a trickle. It should have clear water, and be healthier to drink than those brown ponds. It should look along the lines of this:

EnergyinStreams_Image1_zps9f90c50e.jpg

Also, on the note of those ponds, why don't we get sick from them? Make water purification a real pressing issue, with boiling and tablets being necessary to survival. Whenever I hike, I bring along at least a water purification straw, and most of the time a few tablets as a backup. I currently live off the land in DayZ, and, at the current state, only find the water system to bit a mere annoyance. I think the disease chance should be along the lines on this:

• Swamp water: 90%
  • Small pond water: 70%
  • Lake water: 50%
  • Small Creek water: 40%
  • River water: 20%
  • Well water: 5%

After purifying water, the chance would all go down to zero. Well water should give a small chance, due to the factories seeping in to ground water.

Also, to go along with these new dangers, a simple change, yet drastic number wise, drop in necessary water fulfillment. I have to drink a full canteen of water every 15 minutes in DayZ just to stay hydrated, while when I am out looking for animals to hunt, nothing ever drops. Why should it be this way? A canteen of that size would be near a liter, and 2 of those should be enough for a whole entire day. While this is too little, maybe make the amount needed a canteen an hour, while balancing this out by reducing the number of wells. My logic behind less wells? How often did you see wells around town in the 90's?

As of now, boiling doesn't exist. And for good reason, the only thing you can boil in, as of now, would be the metal cooking pot. I believe that these three items should spawn separately:

• Canteen cover: 2x1

maxpedition_1-qt_usgi_canteen_pouch_lock

• Canteen: 2x1

us_military_canteen.jpg

• Canteen cup: 1x1

PCQ84-2.jpg

These items were standard issue ALICE gear, and are commonplace in the preparedness community, along with the hiking. They should look the same as the canteen looks right now, when put all together. Also, you should be able to put some water purification tablets in the kit. Finally, you can use the canteen cup over an open fire to boil 1/2 the capacity of a canteen. This would be surpassed by the current cooking pot, at four times the capacity of the current canteen.

Thank you for reading this. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment below and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you again for taking the time to read this.

• Like 1

Rivers would be an awesome addition but aren't as simple to add as we might think i believe. 

+1 for the canteen cup & boiling water.

The water/hydration system is kinda boring at the moment.. don't really care about rivers personally, but it would be a cool addition to the game :D

With persistent severs and bases progressing, I feel it should be fair to add a river, that is more more than just a trickle. It should have clear water, and be healthier to drink than those brown ponds. It should look along the lines of this:

EnergyinStreams_Image1_zps9f90c50e.jpg

Also, on the note of those ponds, why don't we get sick from them? Make water purification a real pressing issue, with boiling and tablets being necessary to survival. Whenever I hike, I bring along at least a water purification straw, and most of the time a few tablets as a backup. I currently live off the land in DayZ, and, at the current state, only find the water system to bit a mere annoyance. I think the disease chance should be along the lines on this:

• Swamp water: 90%
  • Small pond water: 70%
  • Lake water: 50%
  • Small Creek water: 40%
  • River water: 20%
  • Well water: 5%

After purifying water, the chance would all go down to zero. Well water should give a small chance, due to the factories seeping in to ground water.

Also, to go along with these new dangers, a simple change, yet drastic number wise, drop in necessary water fulfillment. I have to drink a full canteen of water every 15 minutes in DayZ just to stay hydrated, while when I am out looking for animals to hunt, nothing ever drops. Why should it be this way? A canteen of that size would be near a liter, and 2 of those should be enough for a whole entire day. While this is too little, maybe make the amount needed a canteen an hour, while balancing this out by reducing the number of wells. My logic behind less wells? How often did you see wells around town in the 90's?

As of now, boiling doesn't exist. And for good reason, the only thing you can boil in, as of now, would be the metal cooking pot. I believe that these three items should spawn separately:

• Canteen cover: 2x1

maxpedition_1-qt_usgi_canteen_pouch_lock

• Canteen: 2x1

us_military_canteen.jpg

• Canteen cup: 1x1

PCQ84-2.jpg

These items were standard issue ALICE gear, and are commonplace in the preparedness community, along with the hiking. They should look the same as the canteen looks right now, when put all together. Also, you should be able to put some water purification tablets in the kit. Finally, you can use the canteen cup over an open fire to boil 1/2 the capacity of a canteen. This would be surpassed by the current cooking pot, at four times the capacity of the current canteen.

Thank you for reading this. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment below and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you again for taking the time to read this.

All great ideas, but the devs have already commented several times on rivers. The engine, in it's current form, is not up to the task of rendering flowing water. A long wide pond, perhaps, but not a flowing river.

There are at least two sources for drinking water as I recollect. I believe the labels were blue water (wells) and brown water (ponds). With this differentiation as well as the fact that purification tablets already in game, I would expect that it's just a matter of time, before brown water will have a chance of making you sick (the devs have stated that they are currently working on diseases and herbal remedies), so with any luck you'll be vomiting and suffering form diarrhea in no time at all. If that doesn't make you shit in your pants, then perhaps the new zombie hoards will.

If you actually look at a topographical map of Chernarus, there are A LOT of rivers.

http://www.izurvive.com/#c=-46;1;2

They just don't show up because the engine sucks for that sort of stuff.

I know there are rivers, and I have visited most of them. The problem is they are big enough to be called true river at the present.

walking in wood hearing some river fall !!!fish, here i come:)

• Like 1

walking in wood hearing some river fall !!!fish, here i come:)

Yes, that is my dream of what is to come in Dayz.