Tatanko

Tatanko's Spring BBQ

yG2xLjkh.jpg

Greetings, survivors! Some of you may be familiar with the invite-only social event I held around Christmas called the Skalisty Island Holiday Social. I would like to do something similar to celebrate the arrival of Spring in the northern hemisphere. The first day of the Spring season is March 20th this year, but for the sake of convenience the event would be held the following evening. I would like to gauge interest for such an event and take suggestions regarding the planning process.

The idea is this: we want to welcome the beginning of warm weather, and what better way to do that than roast meat over a fire and drink a few beers? :) It is my hope to make this a public event in the interest of not excluding anyone who would like to join in on the fun. I was very disappointed to see how many people would have liked to attend our holiday party but were unable to because they didn't even know it was happening. There are some challenges to holding a public event, such as security, but I am confident that with the right server and the right support, we can all enjoy a friendly social gathering.

Based on feedback and experiences from the holiday event (and the ensuing map changes in 0.53), Skalisty Island will not be the location for this event. The remoteness of that place was great for security, but it was difficult for people to join the gathering and there are all kinds of logistical challenges as far as getting resources to that island (it doesn't have much of its own available to use). This event's location will be easier to get to and less taxing in terms of collecting resources to use.

Participants will be encouraged to bring items along which they are willing to either contribute or trade with other survivors. An area will be designated for this.

EDIT: Poll now added. Please share your opinion on public vs. private!

EDIT 2: A server has been determined. See info below.

Here's what I've got so far...

Date, Time, and Server

-March 21st, 2015

-7:00PM Eastern (GMT -4)(23:00 GMT)

-Musty Gaming - 3PP US Private Shard Server (info here and here)

-Otmel Island

Activities
-Barbecue (all kinds of meat welcome, beef/pork/chicken provided)
-Drinking (kvass, but real alcohol encouraged ;))
-Campfire stories
-Music
-Trading post

Suggestions
-Flare gun fireworks show (suggested by: Belphegor)
-Dance competition (suggested by: DURRHUNTER)
-Tactical bacon eating contest (suggested by: Death By Crowbar)
-Various crowd activities (suggested by: krazypenguin)
-Campfire RL instruments (suggested by: SomeCallMeNomad)
-Costumes (suggested by: SomeCallMeNomad)
-Truck race (suggested by: DaNic2553)
-Archery competition (suggested by: Odin Lowe)
-Triathlon (suggested by: Helix2000)

Suggestions welcome!
Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 12

This sounds like a blast!  It would be great to see 40-50 people walking around chatting.  Although I'm sure there will be someone out there looking to ruin all of the fun..

edit.. I have no suggestions, sorry.

Edited by schwaBAM

how bout some shooting sports?

someone bring a truck about 500m on shore and we do target practise

ill swing in if around that day

hows ur new pc?

Edited by deebz1234

This sounds like a blast!  It would be great to see 40-50 people walking around chatting.  Although I'm sure there will be someone out there looking to ruin all of the fun..

There will be a plan in place for this, I assure you. There will always be room for things to go wrong, but with proper planning I'm confident we can minimize the risk to participants.

how bout some shooting sports?

someone bring a truck about 500m on shore and we do target practise

ill swing in if around that day

hows ur new pc?

Interesting idea! Perhaps to minimize potential harm, we could do an archery competition?

The new PC is a blast to play on :) Thanks for all your help.

I would come to such an event  B)

I would come to such an event  B)

I figured I would see you pop into this thread at some point ;) Feel free to invite the rest of your group as well.

I figured I would see you pop into this thread at some point ;) Feel free to invite the rest of your group as well.

Of course my friend.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Edited by blunce

Of course my friend.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

There might just be. I'll let you know :)

nice initiative, i'll show up if i can.

as for my suggestion,  fireworks show. (flare guns) (lots and lots of them)

That's a neat idea! It's something I've wanted to do since 0.53 debuted, but I've never been able to coordinate it. This would be the perfect opportunity to do that. Thanks!

• Like 1

An idea..

Hold the event on a private server but don't tell anyone which one until the day of, that way most people cannot gear up other than your security?  Worth a shot..

Edited by schwaBAM

How abou like no weapon pull out ? Lol fun

That's kind of a given, wouldn't you say? ;)

An idea..

Hold the event on a private server but don't tell anyone which one until the day of, that way most people cannot gear up other than your security?  Worth a shot..

I had already planned on waiting until closer to the event to unveil the chosen server, but I'm unsure as to whether to go private or public. I can see benefits to both, particularly on my end in terms of gathering supplies beforehand (it would be easier if I can do whatever I need to on multiple servers). Perhaps I'll leave it up to a vote?

How about a dance competition and some music? lol

How about a dance competition and some music? lol

Oooooh, that could be fun. Adding it to the list!

Oooooh, that could be fun. Adding it to the list!

i will try to be there with some of my friends! :D

• Like 1

Sure, I'll join! I haven't played DayZ SA in a while, this'll be fun! (I know you don't know me, but could I help with security?)

Edited by SomeCallMeNomad

Sure, I'll join! I haven't played DayZ SA in a while, this'll be fun! (I know you don't know me, but could I help with security?)

I haven't worked out a plan for security yet, and that will have to wait until I determine what server I'll be using. I'll get back to you about that :) Thanks for offering.

irl drinking games

somehow....

Yes, somehow haha. I'm open to ideas, but of course it would have to be based on the honor system ;)

would love to come!!!! looking forward to it!!!

• Like 1

The private server route might not be the best idea.  Mainly for your reasoning and the fact that most people would have to go gather some basic items in order to survive and would take time away from the event itself.  I was thinking more in the regards to bandits being geared more than anything.  Oh well!

The private server route might not be the best idea.  Mainly for your reasoning and the fact that most people would have to go gather some basic items in order to survive and would take time away from the event itself.  I was thinking more in the regards to bandits being geared more than anything.  Oh well!

Yeah, there are some trade-offs. My last event was held on a whitelisted private shard, and on Skalisty to boot, so logistically it was really tough... and I only gave people like 2 days notice because it was a rather last minute idea. I'd like to avoid excluding anyone if at all possible, and part of that is going to be making it easy on them to join in.

Don't be afraid to discuss, though. This thread is for thinking out loud about the event and how we can make it as awesome as possible :)

• Like 1

Some ideas!

1. We should gather up all of the flares and chem lights that we can find and decorate the island.
  2. We could also have a tactical bacon eating contest. First to pukes wins!
  3. Also for spring, someone should farm the living crap out of it and make fresh crops!
Edited by Death By Crowbar
  • Like 1

Some ideas!

1. We should gather up all of the flares and chem lights that we can find and decorate the island.
  2. We could also have a tactical bacon eating contest. First to pukes wins!
  3. Also for spring, someone should farm the living crap out of it and make fresh crops!

1. Yes! Always a must with social events.

2. Sure :p

3. Absolutely. I plan on doing some farming and hunting leading up to the event, but I can have plots set up on the island for during the event as well.

I'm in. A few ideas from me:

A mexican wave (players F3 in sequence)

A conga (line of walking players all q'ing and e'ing as they go)

a game of "it" using coloured arm bands (bit tricky)

Edited by krazypenguin
  • Like 1