schylerchase

Learning The Map

Hello.

I am very new to DayZ, and I have a hard time learning the map... Can someone help me? I play the mod.

• Like 1

I can help you move your topic to the mod section.

As for the map, you can find it if you google it, but using an out-of-game map really ruins the feel of the game in my opinion.

• Like 2

Just go on Arma 2, spawn a car in the editor and drive around for awhile. And if you really need it, use an online map (I recommend DayZDB) but as previously stated, that really ruins the game. Believe it or not, one of the funnest parts about DayZ is not knowing the map and not knowing how to deal with zombies - Because the game is much more intense when your on your tows all the time, running from barn to barn across the countryside at midnight, flares lighting the way... Sadly for me, after 800 hours, I know every single pebble on the ground in Chernarus, and what Zombies? you mean that fly?

I will never again experience the real thrill of DayZ - Being confused and scared shitless.

If you want to learn the map while actually playing, i'de suggest finding a PVE Epoch mod server. There are usually people willing to take in a newer player, (Atleast, I used too. Again, PVE servers) and it's usually necessary to drive across the map in Epoch. I learned a lot about the main roadways from my guide who's name is lost to history, But you won't learn much about the Backroads doing that. Eventaully once you've got a decent mental map, and do some AI missions for target practice, hop back on a Vanilla/Epoch/whatever your playing PVP server and you'll kick ass.

I found that using the coast as a directional basis (looking at coast left is either east or north, right is south or west depending on where you spawn) that will help you move around the 4 main cities, then you can reference that to the road that leads to NWAF, just try and learn how to travel the bottom half of the map first, then move to the upper side of the map. I haven't been able to learn which city I'm in without a road sign, except electro. If people could post land markers in each city to be able to tell which one we're in. That would help all new players. (for instance, electro has the multiple train tracks spreading off, with the town hugging it really tight. I usually start all my movements after finding electro, because it's easiest to get everywhere. I started off using DayzDB and just followed roads on low pop servers, figuring out loot spawns, where is where, you kind of have to imagine you were in the game, use your phone as google maps type thing lmao.

Yes, I would recommend dayzDB too.  Google it.

To be honest, you're better off finding an empty server and playing on it until you are familiar with the map. It's all part of life's rich tapestry.  Plus it will help you to accept repeated death and loss of your gear.  :thumbsup:

Just go on Arma 2, spawn a car in the editor and drive around for awhile.

This sounds fun as I am also new. What do you mean by "editor"?

use the online map like Izurvive and use a compass. While you are running through the area, constantly check on the compass which direction you are heading. Careful not to go way too west or north - ventured into the debugged plains. You will get lost there forever. If you do, use your compass head SE direction! 

Edited by thewire