Sign in to follow this  
trtk

Nutrition/Hydration is Ridiculous

Seriously. You must drink eight canteens full of water to become hydrated, and during said drinking you have to wait out the long periods of being 'stuffed' with water, meanwhile you become dehydrated at almost the same rate that your 'stuffed' status goes away.

On the food side you have to down a buffet of zucchinis and canned goods, and after ten minutes of running better be ready to do all of this again. God forbid you ever get the hot or cold statuses, because then you literally cannot stuff enough food/water into your face to overcome the degeneration - instead you'll become stuffed again and start vomiting everywhere.

Please, Bohemia: twenty thousand people are playing your game. We expect better. Alpha is no excuse here - all you have to do is change a handful of numerical values in a text file.

Edited by trtk
  • Like 2

Seriously. You must drink eight canteens full of water to become hydrated, and during said drinking you have to wait out the long periods of being 'stuffed' with water, meanwhile you become dehydrated at almost the same rate that your 'stuffed' status goes away.

On the food side you have to down a buffet of zucchinis and canned goods, and after ten minutes of running better be ready to do all of this again. God forbid you ever get the hot or cold statuses, because then you literally cannot stuff enough food/water into your face to overcome the degeneration - instead you'll become stuffed again and start vomiting everywhere.

Please, Bohemia: twenty thousand people are playing your game. We expect better. Alpha is no excuse here - all you have to do is change a handful of numerical values in a text file.

+1

I think they should slow down the cycles a lot from where they are and in turn reduce food/drink spawns massively so actually choosing how much food/drink to carry becomes a valid concern, not to mention it would push some of the other survival mechanics to the foreground if you couldn't just find plentiful fruit and canned goods everywhere.

Variables are changing constantly for various testing purposes at this point and not necessarily for gameplay purposes, bitching about them is pointless.  REMEMBER you are indeed testing this game not playing it right now, you never know what systems they are checking atm.

**We don't all expect better .... some of us understand.

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

Variables are changing constantly for various testing purposes at this point and not necessarily for gameplay purposes, bitching about them is pointless.  REMEMBER you are indeed testing this game not playing it right now, you never know what systems they are checking atm.

This is true, but it's still worth making a bit of a stink about how a system is designed/implemented in the hopes that it might be improved or adjusted later.

Alpha excuses Bugs, Incomplete features, Interruptions, frequent resets, etc. it does not tho mean people should 'shut up and be happy' with design choices.

• Like 1

I do agree, I wish there was enough transparency in the dev process so that we could actually see what is being tested when and what variables are exaggerated at the moment.  Sometimes these behind the scenes things can make gameplay VERY frustrating.  At the same time though the last thing I want to do is slow these guys down further :)  It seems as they bit off a little more than they could chew in the beginning and have been playing catchup the entire time BUT the work they do keep churning out has been great so far and keeps me dreaming of what the game will be when finished and it really does seem like they are getting their poop in a group (starting too >.< gotta expect a trip every so often tho).

Edited by SaveMeJebus

This has nothing to do with testing and everything to do with dev negligence. What exactly are they 'testing' with this shitty system? Are they testing for exactly how long they can screw up even the most basic, easy-to-fix things for 1+ year without losing all of their players?

Bohemia's drones seem to have a flow chart of templated responses to every complaint: 'ITS AN ALPHA' or 'ITS JUST TESTING!!!' regardless or what the truth is.

Edited by trtk

OP, you're bad. I'm energized/hydrated/healthy within minutes of spawning. Peaches/rice/sardines/powdered milk and fountains are your friend.

L2P.

• Like 1

OP, you're bad. I'm energized/hydrated/healthy within minutes of spawning. Peaches/rice/sardines/powdered milk and fountains are your friend.

L2P.

Nope, sorry.  They fucked up the mechanic.  It seems that potentially the issue might be that "eat all" consumes the entire can but only gives you the benefit of a single "eat" action.  Using eat instead of eat all seems to work a little better, but then drinking directly from a fountain or pond accomplishes about the same effect of instantly making you stuffed while not giving you the hydrated status.

I'd imagine doing "drink" instead of "drink all" from a container might be the answer to getting hydrated without getting stuffed.

Either way, it's messed up and almost assuredly not intentional.

This has nothing to do with testing and everything to do with dev negligence. What exactly are they 'testing' with this shitty system? Are they testing for exactly how long they can screw up even the most basic, easy-to-fix things for 1+ year without losing all of their players?

Bohemia's drones seem to have a flow chart of templated responses to every complaint: 'ITS AN ALPHA' or 'ITS JUST TESTING!!!' regardless or what the truth is.

With all your valuable insight maybe you can take over the dev team and lead them to victory?!  My point is you have no fuckin clue WHAT they are testing so just stfu and play it ...

Nope, sorry.  They fucked up the mechanic.  It seems that potentially the issue might be that "eat all" consumes the entire can but only gives you the benefit of a single "eat" action.  Using eat instead of eat all seems to work a little better, but then drinking directly from a fountain or pond accomplishes about the same effect of instantly making you stuffed while not giving you the hydrated status.

I'd imagine doing "drink" instead of "drink all" from a container might be the answer to getting hydrated without getting stuffed.

Either way, it's messed up and almost assuredly not intentional.

The fountains are definitely janky, but I just jumped onto a random private hive and attained healthy status within ten minutes. It had persistence on, to boot.

On a side note, you can make yourself vomit again seemingly without any negative side effects. I took one too many drinks from the fountain and puked, then took two more and was bright hydrated. A minute or so later, healthy.

The fountains are definitely janky, but I just jumped onto a random private hive and attained healthy status within ten minutes. It had persistence on, to boot.

On a side note, you can make yourself vomit again seemingly without any negative side effects. I took one too many drinks from the fountain and puked, then took two more and was bright hydrated. A minute or so later, healthy.

See these kind of reports of events are actually helpful and do alot more good than people straight up raging because "Dey broke muh videa game!!!!"  I am not fanboying at all and saying stuff isn't broken, but OF COURSE IT IS and they definitely need (coherent) reports of this ..... The game is being developed still, and just because some seem to think this isn't an excuse they can't simply ignore the fact that ITS STILL BEING DEVELOPED

** Did I mention Alpha?

Edited by SaveMeJebus

I'm with Grime here. Nerfing the food/drink system means you need to consider a little what you eat. Instead of scarfing down every food item like a starved wolf, be considerate of which foods offer the best nutrition value per consumption. Peaches, tuna, sardines, rice and powdered milk are your go-to options. It's definitely more tricky to get/stay healthy, but by no means is it impossible. It probably needs some tweaks, but to say that the game is impossible now... hardly.

And survival should be more difficult anyway. 

• Like 2

I'm with Grime here. Nerfing the food/drink system means you need to consider a little what you eat. Instead of scarfing down every food item like a starved wolf, be considerate of which foods offer the best nutrition value per consumption. Peaches, tuna, sardines, rice and powdered milk are your go-to options. It's definitely more tricky to get/stay healthy, but by no means is it impossible. It probably needs some tweaks, but to say that the game is impossible now... hardly.

And survival should be more difficult anyway. 

That kinda stuff is fine but if this implementation was intentional for that purpose it's basically the most ridiculous way to go about it.

It doesn't make any sense that eating the same amount of food by using the slower option should result in a different outcome than using eat all.  It's the same amount of food.  I am extremely doubtful the devs were trying to replicate negative effects of eating too fast irl with this or something else along those lines.

How does it make any sense that I can vomit from drinking too much water before becoming hydrated from a pump/pond?

Any ways, just don't use the eat/drink all options and don't drink directly from water sources and it's avoidable but it doesn't change the fact that it's funky.

You'd think at MOST 2 bottles of water would make you not thirsty anymore

And 2 whole cans of food would make you not hungry anymore.

i noticed this last nite.

The thristy and eating options come round very quick when i was fully healthy and hydrated....

And the stuffed issue is a pain in the backside...

Oh and tbh,the main reason this game will fail is because its been changed so much all the time in regards to issues like this...

But instead of fixing issues they want to add more clothes trust me this game will fail because of issues like this.

And cheating as well...

And dont start saying that every game has hackers...because i understand this its the issue of how they are doing stuff and how its easy to prevent most of theses issues.

i noticed this last nite.

The thristy and eating options come round very quick when i was fully healthy and hydrated....

And the stuffed issue is a pain in the backside...

Oh and tbh,the main reason this game will fail is because its been changed so much all the time in regards to issues like this...

But instead of fixing issues they want to add more clothes trust me this game will fail because of issues like this.

And cheating as well...

And dont start saying that every game has hackers...because i understand this its the issue of how they are doing stuff and how its easy to prevent most of theses issues.

Sigh... do we really need to start the whole game development cycle argument again?

• Like 1

Is the eating/drinking mechanic different between 3pp and 1pp servers?

The reason I ask is because I'm usually on 1pp servers, but hopped onto 3pp for a while today for a change of pace and noticed exactly what OP is saying.

1pp: Perfectly fine. I ate/drank when I needed to, could comfortably hit the 'energised', 'hydrated' and 'healing/healthy' status bars and things just worked.

3pp: 'Stuffed' within 15 minutes of beginning a new character, with no indication that I had eaten or drank too much. No other status bars, just 'stuffed' or nothing. Seemed to be massive fluctuations in how energised/hydrated I was. Only noticed this after I had drank 3 times from a pump.

It's not unmanageable - defiantly not game-destroying - but kind of annoying.

Is the eating/drinking mechanic different between 3pp and 1pp servers?

The reason I ask is because I'm usually on 1pp servers, but hopped onto 3pp for a while today for a change of pace and noticed exactly what OP is saying.

1pp: Perfectly fine. I ate/drank when I needed to, could comfortably hit the 'energised', 'hydrated' and 'healing/healthy' status bars and things just worked.

3pp: 'Stuffed' within 15 minutes of beginning a new character, with no indication that I had eaten or drank too much. No other status bars, just 'stuffed' or nothing. Seemed to be massive fluctuations in how energised/hydrated I was. Only noticed this after I had drank 3 times from a pump.

It's not unmanageable - defiantly not game-destroying - but kind of annoying.

They might've changed how full you are when you start a new character, then. They've done that before. If your stomach is, say, 2/3 full when you start a new character and are thirsty/hungry, you're going to notice a difference.

It could be that your established 1PP character isn't suffering what your fresh 3PP character is for this reason. Personally, I haven't had an issue with either, even with the gripes about the new "changes". I guess after almost 1,600 hours these issues aren't such a big deal.

Sigh... do we really need to start the whole game development cycle argument again?

Really dude..

You want to go down that path...

Because srs you will lose so hard its as joke tbh...

But i will say this who in there right mind releases a game with a engine that cant do much,then change there mind and start to build or modify the engine....

Nobody....apart from BI....

And look at the numbers of players is falling away so hard its a joke..

Please prove me wrong on this...

Really dude..

You want to go down that path...

Because srs you will lose so hard its as joke tbh...

But i will say this who in there right mind releases a game with a engine that cant do much,then change there mind and start to build or modify the engine....

Nobody....apart from BI....

And look at the numbers of players is falling away so hard its a joke..

Please prove me wrong on this...

One, it's not a game. It's an early access alpha, i.e. the stage of development typically not released to the public. 

Two, the decision to go for a new engine was made to improve the game. Who in their right mind would pass up on an opportunity to improve their game? Changing the engine is a work that has been going on since pretty much day one. It's not like they up and decided one day to just go for a new engine.

Three, I would say that a lot of the player drop (if there even is one) is due to frustrated people (like you) who do not understand the concept of early access, and were expecting a full, finished game, despite the constant warnings that this is in fact not the case.

even after the update i find food and retain healthy and energized within no time and i always keep an eye on it.

I never EVEERRRR have problems getting hydrated or energized. What I do have problems is getting the hydration sign to stay there. im a heli hunter and I always deal with this stuff energized stays there forever hydrated does not.

I played last night. I was getting messages saying my character's stomach was growling. Ate 2 cans. Stuffed.

I played last night. I was getting messages saying my character's stomach was growling. Ate 2 cans. Stuffed.

Do the experiment. Do not eat for a whole day, then try stuffing two cans of uncooked Spaghetti-Os in your mouth, one after the other, then tell us how you feel.

• Like 2

Do the experiment. Do not eat for a whole day, then try stuffing two cans of uncooked Spaghetti-Os in your mouth, one after the other, then tell us how you feel.

I'm not sure what got you so worked up.  All I did was post what happened to me last night.  Take it down a notch.