Sign in to follow this  
Wookieenoob

ballistic vest clarification thread

just confirming some information for you guys.

offers 0 protection

while the vest says there are pockets they are rare. i have seen four or five pristine vests so far but not one pouch.

the vest weighs 12kg and has no space, and takes up 2x3 in your inventory. (meaning it's almost impossible to wear it with a ghillie suit before you find pouches for it ala smersh vest) 

the pouches do spawn but they are apparently very rare. according to the wiki they spawn at general military but this is yet to be verified by video or picture, however, we do know what the vest looks like.

BallisticModularVest.png?version=d602a4c

this is what the vest looks like with all pouches attached. it has a 10 slot capacity in this state, as well as a holster. 

____

oh god my inventory is full of improvised suppressors

Edited by Wookieenoob
  • Like 2

Are they any good? I'm looking for one to go with my fireman's jacket to replace this press vest. How long will it take me to find?

Are they any good? I'm looking for one to go with my fireman's jacket to replace this press vest. How long will it take me to find?

i found one within 5 minutes of logging on after patch. they seem to spawn very easily from T72 wrecks and truck wrecks. 

i have so far seen 3 or 4 pristine 1 worn, only been through a few military locations.

if you don't know good places to go for these types of spawns, i'd suggest looking north of severograd, since there are a lot of truck wrecks up there. 

the model is very nice. it's light brown solid, and goes REALLY nicely with paut/gorka. 

like i said it has no storage space as of yet, so that's a downer. 

other than that i haven't been shot yet so i just don't know. it suggests that if you wear it you will survive bodyshots from most weapons. i'm guessing that this and the ballistic helmet will now be a powerful combination. the ballistic vest really completes the "assault" role equipment. (snipers already have their ghillie, and these are clearly meant for players with backpacks. 

Edited by Wookieenoob

Cant wait to encounter an axe wielding bambi wearing one of these vests.

It will be like trying to slay lord dracula

Thanks for the idea. *evil laughter* 8)

• Like 1

It provides 0 extra protection

No different than a pistol holster

Edited by trev186

It provides 0 extra protection

No different than a pistol holster

hilarious 10/10 

seriously?

so it's description is just fluff?

Edited by Wookieenoob

hilarious 10/10

seriously?

so it's description is just fluff?

Yep.

Same with press vest but people who fail to Google run around in both thinking they are safer

All while sacrificing space

Edited by trev186

That can't be true, I've been shot many times wearing a Press Vest and it absorbed the damage and I didn't even bleed. Even a point blank IZH shotgun double blast only broke my arm, no bleeding. Why would they add a military grade protective vest if it didn't give any protective value?

That can't be true, I've been shot many times wearing a Press Vest and it absorbed the damage and I didn't even bleed. Even a point blank IZH shotgun double blast only broke my arm, no bleeding. Why would they add a military grade protective vest if it didn't give any protective value?

The devs thrive off of rage posts

I think trev186 means no EXTRA protection

many videos and you tube videos out there.

WOBO tested with 380 ammo

Players with any vest on died in the same amount of shots to the chest...Regardless if it was press, ballistic, Smersh or a chest holster.

Sorry buddy your just a guy with a blue vest that says PRESS on it with only 6 slots...passing up HC and SMERSH with 12 and 16 

Edited by trev186

many videos and you tube videos out there.

WOBO tested with 380 ammo

Players with any vest on died in the same amount of shots to the chest...Regardless if it was press, ballistic, Smersh or a chest holster.

Sorry buddy your just a guy with a blue vest that says PRESS on it with only 6 slots...passing up HC and SMERSH with 12 and 16

Not everyone wants to run around going, "hoorah"

I had been wondering if the pouches were in the game. I'd came across half a dozen of the vests, I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't just release the pouches too.

Not everyone wants to run around going, "hoorah"

Perfectly fine but do so not thinking you can take extra a bullet.

I spent last week running around in all white with a black vest playing a storm trooper to each their own

Perfectly fine but do so not thinking you can take extra a bullet.

I spent last week running around in all white with a black vest playing a storm trooper to each their own

i wish there were funny colours of spraypaint so i could run around as a red or pink ghillie for no reason at all

Edited by Wookieenoob

I think trev186 means no EXTRA protection

Okay, that would make a lot more sense because the way I was reading it was that he says vests gave no protection. Most of the time I use UK vests because that's all I find pristine. I miss the tactical vest, though...

Well maybe they could add the actual plates to the loot table, too, to make the vest work better but that might be getting a little too into it.

Okay, that would make a lot more sense because the way I was reading it was that he says vests gave no protection. Most of the time I use UK vests because that's all I find pristine. I miss the tactical vest, though...

Well maybe they could add the actual plates to the loot table, too, to make the vest work better but that might be getting a little too into it.

no. the vest already has plates inside it.

note it's thickness and the weight compared to a uk assault vest. (uk vest weighs less than 1kg and the plate carrier weighs 12kg)

they were spawning in exp... but i have yet to find any pistol holsters or pouches on the .54 standard.

they were spawning in exp... but i have yet to find any pistol holsters or pouches on the .54 standard.

i've found 4 or 5 plate carriers and not a sign of a pouch. if they do spawn they're ridiculously rare. 

they also weren't included in the patch notes or pictures of new models

just confirming some information for you guys.

it's worth noting that this weight means that your stamina is markedly decreased. 

Are you aware that they just added data tags to items for weight values and that it does nothing yet?  Are you also aware that there is no stamina system in game yet?

A summary of facts for the OP/anyone else:

1. All chest pieces protect you in the same way, regardless of what is written in the description, or whether it's a Chest Holster, UK Assault Vest, HC Vest, Press Vest, Leather Vest or the Plate Carrier. The values for protection are defined solely by numbers in the config files and right now they are all copy 'N paste. Don't use real life logic when you want to guess usability of any object in any game. The only thing you should consider when choosing a chest piece in DayZ is the amount of slots, camo and quality (the better the more bullets can be absorbed, i.e. 1-2)

2. There is no stamina system in DayZ. The values of "weight" are added as a base for a future stamina system. Right now you can just ignore them altogether.

3. Someone provided surviving an IZH round with a vest as an argument... You can survive an IZH round in a T-shirt right now (in DayZ), unless one of the pellets hits you in the head. Shotgun rounds do very little health damage and a lot of shock damage (hence they break limbs so well). However, if you shoot a round point blank in someone's chest, you'll ruin his/her chest gear and do as much harm as tickling.

Edited by retro19

1. All chest pieces protect you in the same way, regardless of what is written in the description, or whether it's a Chest Holster, UK Assault Vest, HC Vest, Press Vest, Leather Vest or the Plate Carrier.

I belive the press vest has the highest value. The others are pretty much the same.

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

by the way guys, according to leddit the pouches and holster DO spawn, but only at helicopter crash sites. this is unconfirmed.