Sign in to follow this  
ianwrecked

Hey dudes. First time playing DayZ

Hey dudes. Just built a new computer yesterday after a couple years with a Mac. I bought the Mac because I've always been a PC guy and I wanted to try something different. I mainly used my Mac to record music. I downloaded Steam after a long hiatus (I've had it since it was launched, really), but it quickly became apparent that Macs were no good for gaming whatsoever (weird, I know).

After doing some research on building a PC, my electrical engineering friend and I built it yesterday after a week of waiting for everything to get here. This was my first PC build ever and it went great.

I've been reading this forum for a while so before I even started playing the game I went ahead and changed my .cfg files, etc and changed all my settings. Pretty solid FPS, even in rather big towns (haven't hit any big cities yet). Very useful information on this forum I must say. I've watched countless DayZ videos to make sure it's something I would be interested in buying, etc. Pretty impressed with how good it looks and performs even with some of the graphic settings turned down or off. 

After about 6-7 hours of playing, I met about 6 people and not one of them killed me on sight...which is strange considering everything I've read/seen/heard tells me otherwise. I know the day is coming that it will happen to me, I'm just honestly surprised that it hasn't happened yet. Pretty pumped about this game. I feel as though it's definitely got something that other survival games don't have- whether it be the gritty feel of the environment or the military style play it encourages. Regardless, I'm pumped to officially start playing this game with decent settings and look forward to meeting you guys in game and/or getting shot in the face.

• Like 2

Yes, welcome. I have only recently started playing as well.  Same story, just built my own PC.  My experience with the game is the same, I am pumped for this. I think Rocket and team have something cool going on here.  My player experience, not like yours. I get KoS every single time, except for one guy who picked me up in a V3S while driving along the shoreline. I respawned after I was KoS after 30+ hours with my former character.  Sucked.

Welcome to DayZ, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. The main advice I can give you, is don't get attached to your gear. Wether u like it or not, you will die, a lot.. Don't get discouraged, and learn from your deaths. As the time will go by, you will survive longer and longer and will be able gear faster. Your path shall cross a lot of people trying to kill you, but still there is some people around willing to help, Be cautious when you meet people and dont let your guard down. Enjoy your stay!

It all changed about 5 minutes ago. 

Made my way from the coast to an airfield (which probably wasn't a good idea because most people hang there to grab loot/KOS) because I've never been to one. Found some great gear. Best pack in the game, found a ton of military-esque things, plenty of food/ammo/water. I hear a "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH" in the distance and decide to the best cover I can find. Not only do I hear their laughs of joy, but I also hear a military truck. As I'm running, I look back to see where they are. They're about 3 feet from me. BOOM. Dead. 

I laughed. Then I cried. But then I laughed again.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happens when you leave the porch and play with the big dogs!

Well, those "big dogs" could've at least given me some beans and an alcohol tincture because I like to get wined and dined before I get fu*ked haha.

• Like 1