DaTerroristG

Changing Config Files

Does changing the Config files (like shown in some topics) really work? Will it really give fps boost?

Config file changes will get you like maybe 5 FPS. The things that help the most are proper in game settings for your system and using launch parameters.

There are a few things you can change in the cfg files to net you some fps, more or less depending on your system. May or may not work, for some people it drastically improves performance and for some it does nothing.

DayZ.cfg

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

You can also try running on a lower resolution or running the game in windowed mode. Windowed would be this line:

Windowed=1;

*.DayZProfile

sceneComplexity=200000;

setting that to a lower number might help, but you might have to right click and change the files property to read only so the game doesn't overwrite it (doing this, your in-game settings will also not persist when you restart it).

viewDistance=1500;
preferredObjectViewDistance=1500;

You can change your view distance, the first one is stuff like buildings trees, second one is players/items/misc stuff like that I believe, the first one must be greater than the second I think. This could possibly have a huge impact on fps depending on what you have, but if set too low it could affect your ability to see other players. Consider this as the hail mary of GPU bottlenecks when you simply want to play the game and don't care about sniping.

terrainGrid=12.5;

Changes some stuff with the way the game renders terrain, I believe it may affect both CPU and GPU load a little. Acceptable values are: 50, 25,12.5, 6.25, 3.125. The lower it is the faster it will be in theory.

There are probably a few other little settings in there I am either forgetting or don't know about.

Some people have had also some luck actually setting their graphics quality on high and the game runs faster for them,

Edited by Chzy