Sign in to follow this  
HarryPotter (DayZ)

Cover system...

One thing I'd really like to see in Dayz is a cover system like RO2 where you are able to crouch behind walls and windows then click you mouse wheel and pop up leaning you barrel on the ledge, gaining a stable firing position. At the very least you should be able to lean a rifle on wall or ledge etc to steady the barrel as in RO1? I feel it would just add a nice bit of realism to using your gun?

Any thoughts, anyone play the Red Orcestra games and know what I'm on about?

• Like 5

Most definitely played RO, I would quite enjoy a hotkey cover system.  I understand for arguments sake one could simply take cover and apply q/e by design, but placing your back to a wall to peer out would be fantastic.

• Like 2

Red Orchestra Darkest hour mod is my go to game. Love it but it's only busy at certain times so you can't play much.. I get what your saying about q/e but it's not a built in system so to speak.. Even in RO1 you can crouch below the level of a wall or window and point your direction up the hit the action button (mouse wheel same as in DayZ) to lean up onto the ledge and fire away..

I would enjoy this as well, it would add a bit more to the breech and clear tactics.

If DayZ had the combat (and movement) mechanics of Red Orchestra, I don't think I'd ever leave my house.

Edited by Geckofrog7

No need for a cover system a simple civilian styled stance system would work.

No need for a cover system a simple civilian styled stance system would work.

I'm not so sure. I was never a fan of the "scrolling through stances" feeling in Arma 3. 

I'm not so sure. I was never a fan of the "scrolling through stances" feeling in Arma 3. 

I initially was bad at using it.

Practice with it and it becomes second nation. I have gotten so good at the stances that I can seemlessly transition to any stance.

For dayz's purposes it does not need a highly elaborate stance sysem just more options other than the 3 current stances and that simplicity should make its use better for dayz.

I initially was bad at using it.

Practice with it and it becomes second nation. I have gotten so good at the stances that I can seemlessly transition to any stance.

For dayz's purposes it does not need a highly elaborate stance sysem just more options other than the 3 current stances and that simplicity should make its use better for dayz.

It's not that I'm bad at using it, it's just that I think it feels and looks clunky when your character is moving up and down through various stances to find the one that you want.

It's not that I'm bad at using it, it's just that I think it feels and looks clunky when your character is moving up and down through various stances to find the one that you want.

ooo Ic I can understand that. It does at time feel a bit stiff but overall its a great feature even with some of its mishaps.

Indeed RO2 is the first thing I thought when I read this topic... I love how u can just peer your head over the top of the cover as a quicker alternative to using the standard look over the top with your rifle aimed down range.. There is alot of awesome things in RO2 that most of us who have played it would love too see in dayz.. especially the slow fade to black death like someone posted about the other day on these here forums.

It would be great thing when they introduce meaner zombies as well. At the moment you can only lean out and not peak over things. But really right now I'd be happy to just be able to rest my gun barrel on a wall/window ledge to get a steady aim. This feature was in the original Darkest Hour many years ago...