frankiebeans

Why do you murder?

I searched but couldn't find any similar threads.

For those who decide to defect to bandit status: Why do you kill other players? What do you get out of it, besides supplies?

This is not a thread intended to troll anyone, or coming from any form of ange/butthurt. I am genuinely curious why I see so many posts/videos of bandits sniping or shooting non-threatening players.

I'm a relatively new Day Z player (2 weeks-ish) and I've yet to actually kill another player. I have no desire to either. I did however, shoot one player for firing at me. He did not die though.

I just don't see the other side. I realize that some users play this game with the specific intent to kill other users, but it has never been my intent with playing Day Z. I'd rather find some friendly players and work together. Since the game is not centered directly around a PVP play style, I thought I would flat out ask why and for what reasons have you/do you kill other players?

Well it's kinda simple really I think.

What is there to do in DayZ? It's a zombie survival game.

What does it take to survive? Food, water and warmth. Blood only if you fuck up and lose it.

Warmth doesn't go down unless staying still in a rain during the night.

Food is plenty, drinks are plenty and easily obtainable even solo.

You can dispatch zombies with ease with a makarov, no point in getting better weapons really.

Survival part of the survival game is easy. What else is there to do? Shoot players, cuz firefights always get the adrenaline pumping, even if it's one sided :)

I do it because i can't trust anybody else other than my friends.

Last time i tried to be friendly, i had my head blown off couple times.

I simply enjoy hunting people - including (perhaps especially) other bandits*. I don't do it to grief, I just enjoy the thrill of hunting and killing other players. That's it. There's no malice in it.

*Why especially other bandits? Because other bandits are predators and are better game. Killing a tough adversary, a fellow predator, is more satisfying than killing a harmless survivor who has just spawned. The kill is riskier, so it has more value to me.

I do it beacuse i love pvp and i like the adrenaline rush you get then you kill someone.

Why not?

Because perhaps the person you just killed had amassed days of play into one character. Maybe they were fresh spawns and just trying to mind their own business.

I don't know that I have a logical answer for that, other than my own biased opinion of "because it just feels wrong" for me to kill other players without warrant.

This is what I enjoy about this game as well. I'm never forced to kill another user (except maybe in self defense). I try to keep to myself and avoid players, but i've definitely been sniped while just wandering the map. I've also been killed point blank after having a quick chat with someone to confirm out intentions. Although that player clearly lied and had intentions to kill me when I had no gear anyways.

I do it beacuse i love pvp and i like the adrenaline rush you get then you kill someone.

Then why dont you play an actual PvP oriented game? Like... CoD/AvP/all other FPS-shooters.

I do it because i can't trust anybody else other than my friends.

Last time i tried to be friendly' date=' i had my head blown off couple times.

[/quote']

Ah! I've seen this mentality more times than I can count in my short experiences with this game. "I cannot trust anyone."

I could not agree more. Unless you're playing with established friends and perhaps using outside VOIP to communicate, you really can't trust anyone. A person can say that they need your help only to shoot you in the back, or claim friendly with no intentions of hospitality.

However, I want to keep faith that all players are inherently good. I know this is not the case as everyone has a different mentality. I would just like to believe that when I run into another player in the wilderness, we could work together and stock loot and make a damn good team. Though, this is largely unlikely as it seems there are more bandits than friendlies in this game.

Usually because I feel threatened. If they haven't seen me I just run away. I will sometimes kill because I desperately need supplies but haven't done that in a while.

I am lost to why people purchase a military fps game ( Arma2 ) then download a alpha status buggy zombie survival mod ( DayZ ) then try and play a military fps game on it. Utter madness.

JUST PLAY ARMA 2!!!!!!

I am lost to why people purchase a military fps game ( Arma2 ) then download a alpha status buggy zombie survival mod ( DayZ ) then try and play a military fps game on it. Utter madness.

JUST PLAY ARMA 2!!!!!!

+1.

That is my exact thoughts.

This isn't about PvPing it's about survival against the apocalypse first, isn't it? Sure bandits should be a threat. But as it is now, it's basicly CoD meets Zombies.

Give Bandits some disadvantage for being a bandit. As it is now, they have 100% benefits, while survivors have none.

Then why dont you play an actual PvP oriented game? Like... CoD/AvP/all other FPS-shooters.

Like me, I suppose he finds it far more exciting to engage in combat in a game where there's so much to lose. There's nothing to lose on CoD, Counterstrike et al - you just respawn and are back in combat in less than a minute. Day Z makes hunting your prey so much more exciting. It can take hours to find someone to kill, but, when you do, the rush from that one kill far surpasses 100 kills on Battlefield or Counterstrike.

In short, each kill in Day Z has more 'meaning'. There can be hours of survival, positioning and avoiding zombies behind it.

I used to be a friendly player like you, but then I took a backstab in the knee.

But for real, I was a friendly player. I trusted people, but too many backstabbed me even after saying they were friendly :/ I only trust people on my Steam friends now.

Nowadays I kill EVERYONE simply because I don't wanna lose my shiny new Barrett M82 (no, it's not the M107, look at the muzzle break). Everyone would try and kill me for it, so I live off the grid :]

My squad has a few reasons we kill other players, they are as follows:

1)Self defense - this includes shooting on sight, not for sport, but simply to remove threats from the area.

2)Supplies/Gear - If we see someone from a good distance away and they're not heading to an area we're also headed to, we generally won't pursue unless we see they're equipped with a sexy gun or pack.

3)Trolling - Occasionally we'll just run into someone, simple scenario of "wrong place at the wrong time", and we might just take advantage of it for the lulz. An example of this is one time I was rolling down the coast in the V3S Civilian to pick up a buddy, on the way back I swerved off road and ran over a survivor... two of us hopped out of the truck, asked if he needed help, then shot him in the face in the same breath. Was it an asshole thing to do? Absolutely. Was it fucking hilarious? Hell yes. :D

Vanguard' pid='227273' dateline='1341175311']

I used to be a friendly player like you' date=' but then I took a backstab in the knee.

[/quote']

LMAO, sig'd.

Today I was in a town in the north. A guy was in the supermarket trying to attract my attention by shooting his gun, he must of known someone was about. I got close to the supermarket and hailed friendly a few times. So I sneaked around the back way and saw him facing the main shop door gun drawn.

So I shot him - my first murder.

I hated it. I would of much preferred it if he answered my hails and we made friends and teamed up. This is what I enjoy about real life and I enjoy it game worlds too, especially one that lends itself to such an interesting and unique scenario.

The thrill of the hunt. Stalking your prey, waiting til they think, ney, know that they are alone. Then BAM!

Also. I do not want to die. If you are alive you could find a weapon and kill me in 5 minutes, therefore you die.

I do not hang out near noob area's tho, so if you are in one of the centeral villages without a weapon, and I see you, you're going to die.

Unless I see that you have my favorite gun, or wearing a ghillie suit, I tend to leave people alone. If they do have either of the above, I tend to communicate with them first, usually behind cover where they can't see me, asking them to drop X item on the ground, and back away gun lowered. If they cooperate, I will let them live after I get out of firing distance from them. If they don't cooperate / trash talk me / fire back, I take them out. (Given, this tactic will usually only work when I have a friend or two near, and if I'm solo I'll rarely risk the fire fight, as I normally try to carry supplies around for when I play with my mates [blood bags, various ammo I know they use etc] and would rather not die for a gun)

If a player opens up on me, I will purposely aim for the lower body (if its an option) , knock them out, run over to them, and tell them this is DayZ, not CoD. Why are you being a bitch and opening fire randomly? Then proceed to shoot them in the head.

1. Blood for the Blood god.

2. Skulls for the skull throne.

Like me' date=' I suppose he finds it far more exciting to engage in combat in a game where there's so much to lose. There's nothing to lose on CoD, Counterstrike et al - you just respawn and are back in combat in less than a minute. Day Z makes hunting your prey so much more exciting. It can take hours to find someone to kill, but, when you do, the rush from that one kill far surpasses 100 kills on Battlefield or Counterstrike.

In short, each kill in Day Z has more 'meaning'. There can be hours of survival, positioning and avoiding zombies behind it.

[/quote']

Pretty much this. I play all kind of games depends on what i feel for atm. im trying to find games that gives me an adrenaline rush but there is not many games that does that for me. Only then items is on the line, wich dayz have.

i've never killed anyone before within last week, but got killed dozen of times, mostly because of guillie suit and because it's a part of the game.

Last time I found 2 guys with hatchets and warned them of my presence and that my intentions are good. After refusing coop with them, I asked did they clear big building behind them, ofc they quickly replied that there's lots of loot there left behind, so I thanked them and ran trough building (construction site) out the other end and hid in bushes. Of course, both rushed inside building looking for me. Still didn't kill them, just backed off to mind my own business. Then one of them lagged out or something, spawned on top of my head and killed me with 1 shot with hatchet... crippled me and knocked unconscious, looted my whinchester and finished me off, while i gently asked why in general voip.... i stood no chance because breaking of bones + KO isn't fixed yet

basically that was the last of me being nice towards people, if I see any of u, im gonna blow ur f***ing brains out, whoever you are... game's on b***hes... yep butthurt a bit, but, that'd be my reason to kill anyone on spot from now on. Greed in this game is out of control

Day Z makes hunting your prey so much more exciting.

I kinda fail to see how laying with a sniper rifle pointing at a loot spawn or high traffic area waiting for some random person to walk by becomes "hunting your pray". I am not saying that´s what you do but it´s the scenario in probably 90+% of the times I´ve gotten killed by another player.

In short' date=' each kill in Day Z has more 'meaning'. There can be hours of survival, positioning and avoiding zombies behind it.

[/quote']

True, but that don´t explain the slaughter of newly spawned players in electro, Cherno and Balota.

I was just killing tons of people standing on a roof with a shotgun for fun. IT WAS REALLY FUN/FUNNY. then i got sniped lol.