Sign in to follow this  
Dagwood

Experimenting with hand held radios

Trying to get a buddy back into dayz and thought we'd try using handheld radios and direct chat exclusively for communication. I only tried them once when they were first implemented, and don't really know the ins and outs of using them.

Can somebody with some experience using hand held radios give me a quick crash course? My main question is how our radios are overheard by other players in our proximity. Will what I am saying/hearing over the radio be broadcast in direct chat around me?

Thanks, Dagwood.

It's exactly as you described it. What you say using a certain channel (ex:87.5) will be heard within the "direct communication" area, and also heard by other players using a radio set on the same channel, within about 1km surrounding you.

For immersion, roleplay and plain fun, it's one of the features I like the most and I was sad when it wasn't working for a while.

• Like 4

I have never gotten a response when chattering on the radio

I like to limit myself to using the in-game walkie talkies as opposed to skype/ventrillo. As Odin Lowe stated, it adds a huge element of immersion into the game. It is cool because you can also send text messages with the walkie talkies. When you press "/" and type (as you would normally), it sends to other walkie-talkies if they're tuned into the same frequency.

• Like 1

Do we want to make the default radio channel the universal radio channel? I've yet to ever contact anyone on the radio, but I still try from time to time. The main prob is the battery dies pretty quick if you just leave it on, if I'm not mistaken. So I usually try every 20-30 mins or something. I guess I'm not really leaving much of a window open for contact.