BC_Hawke

Why is such a drastic increase in enterable buildings considered a good thing?

All buildings need to enterable and too many of the buildings we can enter have closed off areas. And it's past time that we should be able to shoot out of glass windows like the barracks.

.... because adding stationary objects into the game is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than fixing the controls, networking code, ballistics, animations, hacking...... I mean, let's get real here.

What better way to show progress than keeping a zombie from flying through doors and walls..... God forbid we get that done.

That being said.... I actually like the fact that you can find many buildings and enter them. I think that is more realistic. Also, I don't agree that just because there are lots of hiding places that people will only hide. Most people get bored and want PVP, even if they ever add more zombies. In short, this game has much more serious problems with it than too many buildings that you can enter. That's like last of a list of 1,000.

If you want player interaction, you can get it within minutes on a full server. You are telling me that you can't get shot at if you wanted to within 5 minutes on a full server? I can find players easily in almost any major city, maybe not the smaller interior cities, but my God, you will get plenty of action in the big cities.

Edited by cheranuscrusiser
  • Like 1

It's the apocalypse.  You're supposed to feel alone and not run into people every 2 minutes.  Unlike the competitors, DayZ actual feels like the world has ended.

Feels like playing in developer mode quite a bit.  I know the zombies are just placeholders, but having twice as many wouldn't hurt my feelings; especially if we could use a ruined cooking pot to render them down into heating/lamp oil for future use.

Feels like playing in developer mode quite a bit.  I know the zombies are just placeholders, but having twice as many wouldn't hurt my feelings; especially if we could use a ruined cooking pot to render them down into heating/lamp oil for future use.

of course it feels like playing in developer mode, we are. I do agree tho, definitely need more infected but what the OP has mentioned is rather ridiculous.

No one's talking about constant player interaction.

When was the last time you ran into some one in the woods in the middle of no where in the standalone?  When was the last time you had a fight that wasn't in or immediately around a town?

The only one's I've had in recent memory are with hackers using ESP to teleport to me.

Another problem to throw into the hat is run speed.  You spend more time in towns and less time getting there.

I run into quite a bit of people in the woods. There usually hunting or camping. It's not freaken hard.

I run into quite a bit of people in the woods. There usually hunting or camping. It's not freaken hard.

Where?

DayZ was never mean't to be a game about constant player interaction. It's the god damn apocalypse not a Playstation Home meet up.

Please, go find where I said that I think DayZ should be about "constant player interaction" for me.  I don't recall ever saying that.

Hello there

Dont do that, please.

Its the forum equivalent of having a temper tantrum.

Rgds

LoK

Hello!

Sorry about that.  I was trying to reinforce something I had already stated several times, as some of the people responding to this thread apparently have very low reading comprehension skills.  I will refrain from doing it in the future.

• Like 1

The expansion of new buildings is beginning to drastically impair performance so I think the current amount of buildings is enough untill rendering improvements are made

No it doesn't the server doesnt even notice it. The Server doesnt render a thing building wise it only keeps track of where loot is and where players are. Performance issues are most likely client side or connection wise. which isnt afected by the map/buildings.

• Like 1

Where?

The woods near Rogovo, Myshkino, and Tisy.

• Like 1

Exactly, having enterable buildings everywhere doesn't change the fact people still don't leave the coast so what is the point to this topic now?

Which is too bad because a lot of the inland cities are awesome.  Novo in particular, having 30 people duking it out there would be amazing, yet every time I go there it's a ghost town.

• Like 1

No it doesn't the server doesnt even notice it. The Server doesnt render a thing building wise it only keeps track of where loot is and where players are. Performance issues are most likely client side or connection wise. which isnt afected by the map/buildings.

I'm fairly sure they've even stated that a large amount of client side performance hit is due to the rendering of buildings and how culling currently works.  It has a lot to do with your client rendering all the shit inside buildings (furniture etc) even if you're not seeing it.

I suppose you think the giant fps drop when you enter or even look at town is just coincidence?

I'm fairly sure they've even stated that a large amount of client side performance hit is due to the rendering of buildings and how culling currently works.  It has a lot to do with your client rendering all the shit inside buildings (furniture etc) even if you're not seeing it.

I suppose you think the giant fps drop when you enter or even look at town is just coincidence?

Isn't that what he just said?

Also you might have more luck finding people in the middle of no where if you play persistent servers since there are tents and soon to be vehicles hidden in the middle of no where so more people run into the middle of no where

Isn't that what he just said?

Also you might have more luck finding people in the middle of no where if you play persistent servers since there are tents and soon to be vehicles hidden in the middle of no where so more people run into the middle of no where

I dunno, the bit I underlined seemed like he initially says it's client side then immediately says it's not due to the map/buildings though.  Unless he's being super nitpicky about furniture/stuff in buildings rather than buildings themselves.  But I'd say that's still incorrect as rendering anything has an impact on the client and rendering a bunch of buildings is more resource intensive than not.

Which is too bad because a lot of the inland cities are awesome.  Novo in particular, having 30 people duking it out there would be amazing, yet every time I go there it's a ghost town.

Really? Almost every time I go there I see people in the big tower, and a lot of freshies on their way from Svetlo.

Although I think opening up the buildings was a very good idea...I think its time to NOT add more buildings, and certainly not more towns. The concentration of buildings on the map is high enough.

The forest need some attention...the forests are to small, to boring and monotonous. I find my way in the mountains and forests of Norway by recognising the landscape...u cant do this in Dayz now. Run for 5 mins in one direction and ull find houses anyway, the survival aspect of being in a forest is absent in the game. No need for navigation.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

The forest need some attention...the forests are to small, to boring and monotonous. I find my way in the mountains and forests of Norway by recognising the landscape...u cant do this in Dayz now. Run for 5 mins in one direction and ull find houses anyway, the survival aspect of being in a forest is absent in the game. No need for navigation.

I would like bigger or denser forest also, the tents are like 5 to 10 times bigger than the mod, where are we supposed to hide our tents?, I hope empty servers is not the answer.

I would like bigger or denser forest also, the tents are like 5 to 10 times bigger than the mod, where are we supposed to hide our tents?, I hope empty servers is not the answer.

Not a lot of thought seems to have been put into tents at all. Any tent that is larger and/or more visible than the one in the mod is absolutely useless.

Not a lot of thought seems to have been put into tents at all. Any tent that is larger and/or more visible than the one in the mod is absolutely useless.

And the one in the mod was way too small to be used as a storage warehouse.

I'm curious, why has so much of SA's focus been on planting down as many enterable houses, buildings, and apartment complexes as possible?  The end result of this has been a drastic reduction in player interaction in comparison to the vanilla mod.  While the mod certainly had too few enterable buildings which definitely justified some map additions, the last year of SA development has drastically increased the size of the map via buildings.  Sure, Chernarus still has the same area in sq km, but by adding so many buildings the map has been virtually increased in size drastically.  Even if they increase player count to 100 there's still so many nooks and crannies that players can be in that there will never be the amount of interaction that we saw across the map in the mod.

On top of this, looting just seems tedious rather than exciting.  Going room-to-room-to-room in Cherno apartments can take for ever and for the most part you're looking at near carbon copies of each room you look at the entire time.

Also, there's the point that many people have already made that there are far fewer remote areas in the woods now for people to hide camps and vehicles once persistence is working.

Finally, the addition of so many models and textures just takes more of a toll on server and client FPS.  While it's a good thing to make additions here and there, I wonder why it's been decided to add so many enterable spaces.   What's the motivation behind this?  Why not have only certain places enterable when adding all these new places?  

The entire map has taken a few wrong turns imo. The removal of Podeba Dam and replacing it with the joke pond was a shitty move. They could have added to that spot of natural beauty but instead they put in a copy/paste town. Let's just hope to god they don't rape Three Valleys.

The map has become larger - I think by this you meant that now, with 10,000 more rooms to search it is bigger, right, and I'd agree. I refuse to go into the apartments because they literally do my nut in. I cannot stand them and there's only ever a can of beans in the whole fucking lot and what moron designed them? The towers of boring......zzzzzzzz

Personally they could have made a couple more towns at most (they still have shit to add up north btw - they ain't finished yet), fleshed out some of the villages and then put "places of interest" around the map. An old carnival/fun fair, a mine or cave complex (the one they added doesn't really cut it), a huge mansion in it's own grounds - basically points of interesting buildings that were different from the rest which would be fun and creepy to explore.

Also, GREEN MOUNTAIN! If they don't develop that far more (they've done nothing with it) then I don't know what to say. Green Mountain is an icon of DayZ.

A large problem is a lot of players don't appreciate the work that goes into building a world. They just want buildings to search through and don't have the imagination to appreciate the open parts of the country nor what it offers.

• Like 3

I for one love being able to explore all the buildings. You never know what you'll find behind a door...a can of beans, a new hat, a guy with a sawed off. In fact I would like to see some underground stuff also like sewers. More entrances, more exploration, more immersion.

Not sure if addressed but I think I might be able to shed some light on the OP as there seems to be some confusion.

If you have a million rooms in a town, the chances of you meeting another player is next to zero, simply because you can easily miss each other and that is probability for you. If you have less rooms, the chances go up right? So the OP is saying that because of so many enterable buildings, the chance to miss other players is increased which makes sense.

If each town had only 5 buildings to loot, the chances of seeing another player as you come into town is incredibly high. Make it 100 buildings and you can see the chance lowers itself. Also, some of the buildings we would all flock to in the mod (Can I say stores are next to useless now?) don't hold the same value as they used to, decreasing the chance of player encounter further as we spread out because any building can have something we want :)

• Like 2

And the one in the mod was way too small to be used as a storage warehouse.

Do we need a storage warehouse in a zombie apocalypse? I don't think we do. Tents in the mod were perfect. You could hide them pretty well but they would still never be invisible unless you used glitches to hide them in rocks. Plus they offered a reasonable amount of storage space, certainly not too much for their size. Tents in standalone are simply awful.

If you have a million rooms in a town, the chances of you meeting another player is next to zero, simply because you can easily miss each other and that is probability for you. If you have less rooms, the chances go up right? So the OP is saying that because of so many enterable buildings, the chance to miss other players is increased which makes sense.

Also, searching 100 nearly identical rooms to find an item can get really tedious vs searching 10 rooms to find the same item. I can definitely see where the OP is coming from. I think the game would have benefited more from fewer, but more varied new buildings/places.

Also, searching 100 nearly identical rooms to find an item can get really tedious vs searching 10 rooms to find the same item. I can definitely see where the OP is coming from. I think the game would have benefited more from fewer, but more varied new buildings/places.

Then don't search 100 rooms. It's not rocket science.