erv_za

Hardcore lite mode

With the 5 Jan Status report and the announcement of a "hardcore mode".  A lot of people complained that it would be too harsh.

As far as I can tell, the intent behind the feature would be to discourage the zerg rush tactic, where people can quickly attack an area of the map after getting killed, and since they didn't bother to gear-up, they don't loose much of value when they get killed again.

Since people stop worrying whether their character lives or dies, it runs completely contrary to what a Survival game is.

To make you afraid of dying is the foundation upon which dayz is build.  The game should not punish those that decide to play it firstly as a survival game, while rewarding those that play it like it is a deathmatch game the most.

So the intend of the hardcore feature is to punish players for not valuing their characters life and to encourage them to be more careful in the future.  But eventually everyone will die and be forced to put up with the respawn restriction.

TLDR:  I suggest that the respawn restriction should subtract the length of time that your character was alive from the respawn timer.  That way, players that did take care of their characters are not unnecessarily punished.

For very long respawn timers, it might be best to use a multiple of your characters lifetime or something more complex like using the server average life expectancy as part of the formula to make it adaptable to the way people play the game on your server.

Since the "hardcore mode" isn't released yet and we can't see the way it might be balanced, people tend to critique it based on their own assumed "worse case" implementation.  That makes it hard to argue any specific point at this time. But disregarding that..

Do you think there is a balance to a respawn restriction feature, such that you would prefer to play on it, and what would it be?

Edit: I'm still not use to these forums.  If this thread is better suited in the [suggestions] section of this forum, could a moderator please move it over?

Edited by Erv_za

I think the hardcore mode is perfectly the way they described it. People just like to complain about everything, even things they won't touch.

Edited by DJ SGTHornet
  • Like 2

I'll assume people took things way out of context again and took the 12-hour example as "All hardcore servers will prevent you from playing for 12 hours."

I for one, like the idea of server owners being able to set the spawn timer how they like it.

I'd love to change the respawn timer to something a lot more subtle, though. Like 10-30 minutes to make sure the person won't be running back to his body anytime soon (even if they are a hacker), and it would be enough to make me think twice about picking fights with people. (Not that I do anyway.)