LORDPrometheus

DayZ minimum/recommended Specs and your rig

DayZ is currently in alpha so optimization isnt exactly a focus and as such isnt a strong suit for the game. This question is not about what the eventual recommended and minimum specs should be but what they are at this point in development.

what do you think is the minimum and recommended hardware to run DayZ at normal quality with a steady 30+ FPS in urban centers

for example

my current rig:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz W/ Coolermaster air cooler thing

Gigabyte Motherboard

8gb 1333Mhz DDR3 corsair RAM

1Tb Seagate Barracuda

RadeonHD 6850 1gb graphics

windows 7

this system can manage 40FPS on normal in the wilds but struggles to get 30 in even medium size towns therefore it doesn't quite make the cut.

my new rig (in progress build)

Intel I7 4970k (no OC) W/ Corsair h100i cooler

Gigabyte UD5H z97 motherboard

8gb 2400Mhz G Skillz Sniper RAM

128gb San Disk Extreme II SSD

MSI Nvidia GTX 970 graphics

1Tb Western Digital Blue

Windows 8.1

this new rig is defiantly above the requirements  

therefore my guess at the Minimum requirements is somtheing like

3rd gen Intel I5 or better/ AMD A10-5800K or better/ AMD FX 4300 or better

4gb of DDR3 ram

RadeonHD R7 260x or better/ GTX 560 or better

any thoughts/ shameless system bragging?

Edited by LORDPrometheus

I dunno, here's what I run and I never have problems:

GeForce GTX 650 Ti
Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40 GHz
16.00 GM RAM (15.96 usable)
1920 x 1080, 60Hz
NVidia Driver Version 347.09
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
Main HD is a Crucial M4 SSD that screams

This kicks every game's teeth in that I've tried, and I know it's middle of the road that I built over 2 years ago.

I7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz

Nvidia  gt 630

8GB ram

windows 7 x64

i'm running on a weak gpu and originally had 15-20 fps on low-med settings with occasional drops, after overclocking and a lot of tweaking the in-game settings i now have a pretty stable 30 fps and the graphics still look half-decent. 

Edited by Belphegor

My specs are in my sig. I get about 25-30 fps in the larger cities with everything on very high And around 70 fps in the wilderness.

i5-4670k @ 4.8ghz. 
EVGA GTX 560 2gb SC edition.
8gb ddr3 2,000mhz.

Ultra settings, no AA. Shadows disabled.

60-70 fps everywhere.

40-45 fps in cherno, elektro, svet.

The higher the single core clock speed the better. I'd focus your build on the cpu (watercooling and what-not) and overclocking it as much as you can.

• Like 1

My specs are in my sig. I get about 25-30 fps in the larger cities with everything on very high And around 70 fps in the wilderness.

That's a pretty powerful rig if your only getting 25-30fps in cities try upping your graphics to max I'm guessing your bottlenecking your GPU since its one of the best on the market and your processor is solid. Try maxing the settings and if that dosent help its probably your internet

That's a pretty powerful rig if your only getting 25-30fps in cities try upping your graphics to max I'm guessing your bottlenecking your GPU since its one of the best on the market and your processor is solid. Try maxing the settings and if that dosent help its probably your internet

No, that's just the currently shitty optimization.

My specs are in my signature (2600K @ 5.2GHz, memory @ 2133MHz, 2x Raid 0 120GB SSDs, 2x Raid 0 1TB 7,200rpm/64MB cache HDDs) and I get similar frame rates in cities. I doubt anyone gets more than this in the larger cities like Novodmitrovsk and Chernogorsk. If they do, I'd love to see some video proof.

• Like 2

Run an i7 4790k, GTX770 and 8GB Corsair Dominator and get around 25-30fps in cities, but that's with graphics cranked up quite high, so dropping that down I'd squeeze more out. 

Edited by Euphobia

I have multiple computers, but with some tweaking DayZ will actually run on this with very playable fps:

Windows XP

2.1GHz Athlon II 64

2GB RAM

Radeon HD 5450

As long as you don't enter large cities. If you start in a large city before doing anything the game runs fine, but after you run around a while the RAM use creeps up and destroys you if you enter one, Novo in particular appears to be RAM hell.

Despite the min requirements, I guess the game is really meant for computers with at least 4GB of RAM because it doesn't seem to offload old things it doesn't need and instead puts new stuff into your page file. The CPU use and dependency does not appear to be as big of a deal as everyone says it is.

Edited by Chzy

i3-2120 @3.3 Ghz...

GT610

6GB RAM

medium settings get around 40 Fps

I have multiple computers, but with some tweaking DayZ will actually run on this with very playable fps:

Windows XP

2.1GHz Athlon II 64

2GB RAM

Radeon HD 5450

As long as you don't enter large cities. If you start in a large city before doing anything the game runs fine, but after you run around a while the RAM use creeps up and destroys you if you enter one, Novo in particular appears to be RAM hell.

Despite the min requirements, I guess the game is really meant for computers with at least 4GB of RAM because it doesn't seem to offload old things it doesn't need and instead puts new stuff into your page file. The CPU use and dependency does not appear to be as big of a deal as everyone says it is.

4gb of ram is a reasonable number since most computers these days (even laptops) are equipped with a 64bit OS and 4gb or more of ram.

i3-2120 @3.3 Ghz...

GT610

6GB RAM

medium settings get around 40 Fps

Do you have three 2gb ram sticks? I've never heard of 6gb of ram 12 gb yes but never 6gb

My specs are in my signature (2600K @ 5.2GHz, memory @ 2133MHz, 2x Raid 0 120GB SSDs, 2x Raid 0 1TB 7,200rpm/64MB cache HDDs) and I get similar frame rates in cities. I doubt anyone gets more than this in the larger cities like Novodmitrovsk and Chernogorsk. If they do, I'd love to see some video proof.

I've seen plenty of youtubers play with at least 30fps steady in cities so I think the game is capable of it if treated carefully and using the right hardware

i7 4770k at 4.5 ghz

16gb dominator platinum at 1866mhz

asus maximus vi formula motherboard

EVGA Gtx dual classified 780Ti

that's my core until skylake and gm200.

• Like 1

i7 4770k at 4.5 ghz

16gb dominator platinum at 1866mhz

asus maximus vi formula motherboard

EVGA Gtx dual classified 780Ti

that's my core until skylake and gm200.

What kind of performance are you getting out of that system?

• Like 1

I've seen plenty of youtubers play with at least 30fps steady in cities so I think the game is capable of it if treated carefully and using the right hardware

Link one.

i run standalone at my office on 2 pc's

dual core 2.6 ghz - amd hd7700, configged sa to the tits and it runs mediocre at best. more of just a test if it was possible.

10-20 fps

quad core i7 2.6ghz  gtx 460

30fps at best

home rig (shameless brag)

5820k @ 4.6ghz :)

ddr4 8gb 2400mhz @2666 12-12-12 :)))

gtx 970

fps in da wild- 100+

cities-  30-50

single core performance is key, i5, 4770, 4790k, 5960x, all irrelivant.

my 4.2 ghz i5 does roughly the same as my 5820k

(mind you the gtx 970 i have super sampling on 200% and it looks spectacular and runs as good as it gets)

Edited by deebz1234

Do you have three 2gb ram sticks? I've never heard of 6gb of ram 12 gb yes but never 6gb

im not sure i will check when i get home, i think it is 3gbx2 sticks.

Im running a GTX 970, 16gb ram and an I7 4790k.

The game runs at about 70 - 80 fps in wilderness, but i get about 30 - 35 fps in cities.

Unfortunately i record too which really lowers my fps, especially in cities. Its a pain in the arse. The latest patch seems to be worse for fps as well.

i7 2960xm @ 4.5ghz

256gb Samsung 840 PRO SSD

~30 in cities, like everyone else

turning off shadows and lowering object detail to normal boosted my fps alot

Im running a GTX 970, 16gb ram and an I7 4790k.

The game runs at about 70 - 80 fps in wilderness, but i get about 30 - 35 fps in cities.

Unfortunately i record too which really lowers my fps, especially in cities. Its a pain in the arse. The latest patch seems to be worse for fps as well.

Are you not using shadowplay to record?

Yep I'd be interested to see someone run in Novo or bigger cities without dropping under 30fps any time with object detail on high and shadows on.

There's a certain cap that you can't get over unless shadows are turned off and object detail as low as possible but that also affects how far you can see other players.

Running over 30fps constant in cities, a lot of sacrifice is needed even with super high end PC because there's no optimization.

from the general tone of this thread it seems that optimization should be looked at by the developers in at least a cursory manner

The game is not very optimized true. but reason he's getting 25-30 fps in cities is because its a AMD processor.