GregzTheGreat

Ghillie suit discussion.

another personal draw back of the ghillie: I play 1PP only, and looking over your shoulder is (as expected) kind of hard with a bush wrapped around you :D

edit: just read that the full suit is now paintable in the latest exp build! yay!

Edited by moeb1us

Reliably? Not sure... but one thing I do know for sure (and that I was amazed by) is that I once put my drybag down at the NWAF to reduce my profile as I minced around the area trying to avoid detection... I was new- what can I say. Anyway I put it in a very specific spot... ended up either resetting the server or getting kicked from it or crashing (whatever happened)- went into another server because I kept getting the "wait for host"... kind of forgot I'd switched servers (again, I was new) and went back looking for it. OF COURSE it wasn't there in the new server. 

I came online here to talk about it and get some more information- the suggestion was that it had been wiped until I realized I'd switched servers. In fact, I didn't even know what server it was. Probably a week later I was playing with ZH (my accomplice) in some random public server and ended up at the NWAF. He says, "Hey! I just found a dry bag FULL of equipment!"

Guess who's drybag that was? Obviously we ended up in the same server again (I have a few familiar ones that I will go to with him since he's quite young and they're less populated) and my drybag was not as hidden as I thought lol.

Now, with that all being said your experience may differ and I don't think there was a total server "wipe" that occurred in the meantime- but if I were in a persistence on server I'd be confident putting my gear down under a tree behind me a bit to put on my ghillie. If the server resets, I'm pretty sure it'll still be there when I get back. With that said, I probably wouldn't do it on a Wednesday...  

Thank you for being so responsive, you certainly are head and shoulders above many when it comes to communication.

Well, from what you've just said, I have a lot more faith in persistence, despite the fact loot is still an issue on those servers (just try finding a can of food in the south on a 40 man pers: ON server...)

But from what I hear, when 0.53 hits, will there be a character wipe? I keep hearing about it but cannot be sure if it's true.

another personal draw back of the ghillie: I play 1PP only, and looking over your shoulder is (as expected) kind of hard with a bush wrapped around you :D

edit: just read that the full suit is now paintable in the latest exp build! yay!

Excellent, I look forward to wearing my full green bush :D

And understood. When I next die I'll be on 1P only servers for a while. I hear there are less hackers on those as well...

Yeah it is super annoying albeit it is probably realistic I suppose? Can't really say I have tried one on IRL

Yeah it is super annoying albeit it is probably realistic I suppose? Can't really say I have tried one on IRL

No, IRL with a full ghilie suit i can see behind me just fine. Although depends a bit how you adjust your "hood".

edit: some other consideration:

- at 36 Celsius degrees outside, i never went dead from "hot" even after 5-6 hours not moving.

- it is a very bad situation if you are caught in cold rain with it ...also getting very very heavy.

- it is very nice to have it when it's cold outside

- it is very time consuming to craft one, even with all materials beside you.

Edited by mugur

In my experience, I have noticed the Ghillie suit attracts Gokus and bad luck.

It is cursed.

CURSED I TELL YOU.

• Like 1

Since I was murdered in my last one I did manage to go collect the 10x burlap sacs and 5 netting needed. I noticed a few people say that painting the ghillie is bugged and maybe it is- What I wonder is if people paint the wrap, then the hood and then try to do the full top- Keep in mind you need about 130 - 140% paint... so minimum of 2 paint cans. 1  of those needs at least 100% in it to do the top on its own. 

I mentioned this in "how was your dayz" thread but I'll put it here since the ghillie is the subject. 

I'm seeing the feedback about the usefulness of the full ghillie and that the hood / wrap should be sufficient- PROBABLY? I haven't worked alongside another ghillie at all and only ever been able to evaluate effectiveness when ZH210 and I are working on computers almost side by side. Too late for me anyway since I've already crafted my full ghillie. 

I noticed someone who looked like he knew what he was talking about on youtube... and his ghilley was tan hood and gun wrap with a woodland full top... I thought about the area where I work near the coast and the ground overlay is very tan... A lot more orange / yellow in the trees etc. Ground effect (when it's actually rendered) is darker... So I'm trying out the tan hood and wrap (to camo from the front) and leaving the woodland top to cam the back. Logic in that is that the way I set up it would be very, very unlikely for someone to spot me from a distance from behind so if someone came up from behind me it would make it much more difficult to spot me in the darker undergrowth.

Anyone have any strategies in using existing cover? Feedback about shadows and how dark ground becomes light as you approach? Tips or tricks in how you use the overall environment? In counter sniper work, what are you looking for? Any terrain feature in particular that you look for?  

Edited by ENO75

There are 2 major schools/methods when it comes to sniper training but these are the points they are all agree on:

- movement is the first one that gives you away (the slower you move the better)

- the HUMAN shape is the second one due to how thousands of years of evolution made our brain interpret our own kind

- smallest section profile is your best friend (hence laying on the ground facing your threat/target/objective)

- color AND shape blending (if on a huge empty grass field you are the only bush.. go figure)

- being "part" of the environment, although hiding in a gas station will be difficult to pose as a gas canister.

and more of a personal one: NEVER reload (bolt chambering too) your weapon when the enemy is facing you if he does not know where you are.

you are just making a huge gift for him.

Edited by mugur
  • Like 2

When you mention that I am reminded of the 7 S's of concealment- some but not all really apply to DayZ: 

Shape: Ghilley breaks up the form but only in adequate / appropriate surroundings. 

Shine: Don't think this applies however contrast might- in terms of using bright coloured items etc. Don't think it's possible to render reflections from the sun off binocs, scopes... weapons etc.

Sound: This one does apply but unfortunately most of the sounds that indicate a person is near can be heard throughout the game in almost all areas. Sounds of pop cans opening, gates clanking, people chewing, twigs breaking... There are also workarounds including rolling that make no sound whatsoever.

Silhouette: Definitely something to think about when considering crossing terrain... not cresting hilltops- traversing terrain from below ridgelines etc.

Surroundings: Keep in mind your actual surroundings change and are rendered differently from a distance so though you may be hiding VERY well within 50M from someone- you're literally out in the open at 300M. Some of this also depends on how individuals are running their settings- 

Shadow: High gamma and brightness often used in night servers will cause shadows to evaporate during the day or at least be much less effective for concealment- if there are any shadows at all! Players have an option to turn a lot of things down at the expense of graphic appeal... makes it much more difficult to hide against the people who are VERY committed to the PVP lifestyle. 

Speed: As mentioned by mugur- but there are two theories... one way or the other, if you're there in my LOS there's a good chance that I can see you. While speed is more likely to get you detected, moving slow will make it more likely that I'll be able to hit you while you're out in the open. Move slowly to check out your surroundings from cover, but move quickly from one cover position to another. 

Again this is my rookie perspective on matching the 7 S's with some elements of the game environment. We can talk IRL all we want- but it's the game life that we're stuck in. Mugur- you did a great job of connecting your assessment with the game environment so that comment isn't pointed at you at all... (being out in the open as the only bush... hiding in a gas station trying to blend in with the pumps) Just putting it out there for future input. 

I welcome further insights on the 7 S's as they apply to the gaming environment.

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

Thank you, but i am not a game player, i just play dayz because i like what IT CAN BE and i never play as a combatant.

What i said before are all from real life, and if you can match some of those in your play style, good for you!

I believe some of them still can be applied on Dayz. Actually most of the times when i survive a dayz encounter is because

i am not noticed, but when the shit hits the fan speed is of essence  :)

The faster you ran, the harder is for the previously said shit to catch up with you.

I play in full ghillie most of the times and apart from not being able to paint the full suit, it's friggin' AWESOME. Like... one of the best features in-game so far. (I absolutely love stealth gameplay, hence the opinion :p)

The only downside is that you'll get overheated way too fast and since you can't wear a backpack while wearing the suit, you'll have a huge handicap when it comes to travel. The only way - that I know of - to travel a great distance with a full suit is using a backpack to store it in, find a spot to camp, dump the backback and wear the suit. However, if you need to escape an area, you won't have enough time to put the suit back in the backpack and run away. You'll basically be stuck in one region until you find a rather large backpack again.

I personally don't mind not being able to travel long distances, but it does bother me that you get hot/overheated really fast in the suit.

Thank you, but i am not a game player, i just play dayz because i like what IT CAN BE and i never play as a combatant.

What i said before are all from real life, and if you can match some of those in your play style, good for you!

I believe some of them still can be applied on Dayz. Actually most of the times when i survive a dayz encounter is because

i am not noticed, but when the shit hits the fan speed is of essence   :)

The faster you ran, the harder is for the previously said shit to catch up with you.

Hang on a moment, are you the person that delivers things to people for the sake of your own personal entertainment?

It appears there is a glitch, currently, involving cold temperatures. I haven't been hot my entire character lifetime all down to the fact that I got cold ONCE and never stopped shaking since. I cannot aim down my sights without uncontrollable, rapid shaking. My entire body won't stop. I've heard of the issue before, people have even sat in fires to attempt to warm up, but even in my Ghillie, running around a lot, I am yet to find myself getting hot. Maybe it's because I find myself drinking from ponds often?

not to forget that your Player shadow is the same like without ghillie. :(

So, better take a look to the shadows not to the bushes  <_<

It appears there is a glitch, currently, involving cold temperatures. I haven't been hot my entire character lifetime all down to the fact that I got cold ONCE and never stopped shaking since. I cannot aim down my sights without uncontrollable, rapid shaking. My entire body won't stop. I've heard of the issue before, people have even sat in fires to attempt to warm up, but even in my Ghillie, running around a lot, I am yet to find myself getting hot. Maybe it's because I find myself drinking from ponds often?

This happened to me as well!

I eventually solved it by getting hit by a zomie (until I was bleeding very badly) and started healing up again (using the following: Morphine, painkillers, splint, 10 minutes sitting by the fire and LOTS of food/water). The shaking then stopped.

It comes down to slapping your character out of the shaking state by getting hurt and starting to heal again to full health.

Greg- my original ghillie character was shaking like a jackhammer and it seemed like nothing I could do would stop it. While in the ghillie I sprinted straight from NWAF down to Berezino without stopping and that's what made it stop. When you say "run around a lot," do you mean THAT much? Or do you mean what you thought was a lot until you saw that you need to sprint about 7km? 

Half an hour's worth of non-stop travel, to put it into perspective... NW airfield to Novo / top right of the map (the fishing boat village). It would appear the best bet is to set up camp and hopefully not get shot from the fire's smoke "signal"?

I have too much at risk to get mauled by Zombies for the low chance of solving a glitch. I've heard of many people doing many things to fix it specifcally, people have been cured of it from all sorts of strange behaviours, but they only seem to apply to the individual. One person may go swimming, and it was solved for him, but another victim of the glitch went skinny dipping too, yet to no avail. One person said he was cured when he fired a full mag of Mosin shots, I did the same, no progress...

Strange little glitch, this one.

Hang on a moment, are you the person that delivers things to people for the sake of your own personal entertainment?

the one and only.

the one and only.

A pleasure to converse. I have high respect for you, due to your assistance out of pure generosity. If you would ever deem in necessary to have a Ghillie / fellow friendly player on your side, then I would gladly agree to playing together. I asked you in your official thread if you could share any knowledge regarding helicopter crash sights and how to effectively find them, as I am yet to find more than 3.

I am unaware to if you replied. as I haven't been on for a while. Could you, if it please you, share said knowledge?

I have too much at risk to get mauled by Zombies for the low chance of solving a glitch. 

lol okay then. Enjoy the relative safety of hunting for helicopter crash sites. 

lol okay then. Enjoy the relative safety of hunting for helicopter crash sites. 

I'll do what I can, but first I need to work out how to find one. I hear they're invisible?

I'll do what I can, but first I need to work out how to find one. I hear they're invisible?

i've sent you a PM with that huge "secret" :)

Sounded like there was a bug where during resets the helicopters would move but their loot would stay in place... I think that was giving people the impression they were invisible. 

Edited by ENO75