Sign in to follow this  
Dagwood

Rolling server locks (feel free to tailor title)

What if you could only join severs for a limited amount of time after restart before they became locked? This would hopefully give public servers a private hive feel. I think the biggest change with this implementation would be the death of ghosting and rampant server hopping (except for unlocked servers, which would be a death trap around military bases after restart).

If this was coupled with centrally controlled day/night cycles it would help provide the dynamic experience that so many of us desire. So let's say the server restarts and it is 4:00PM in game time. If the server restarts every 8 hours (I wish) the server would restart at midnight. Players would only be able to join the server between 4:00PM and 5:00PM in game time. After that one hour period, the server would become locked and you would only be able to join the server if you left it within the last hour and joined no other server.

There are plenty of drawbacks and flaws to this roughly outlined change in how servers would work in dayz. With that being said, I'd like to hear your thoughts and/or objections.

Edited by Dagwood

Have you read the patch notes preview?  They're talking about adding a 12 hour timer option to private hives after death to lock you out, which is basically what you're saying, only you're suggesting a Battle Royale style.

Being locked out after death would actually give some weight to dying, which the only current weight and risk is losing some gear which doens't take long to get, and getting back to where you were which isn't hard either.  If you died and couldn't join the same servers all your friends were on for another 24 hours, you probably wouldn't want to die... at all.  Right now all you have to do is hit respawn and run back to where you died, no harm no foul.

Edited by acdc_bag

Yeah no thanks. There are already too few first person servers. If I die from a bandit on one, glitch through the floor and die on another, and die of starvation on another, that pretty much means I can't play anymore. Nah.

Interesting idea. One problem i see with it is that after a while there will be hardly anyone on the server as people leave or die, which would suck for people looking for player interaction. I think the longer respawn timer concept mentioned in the status report might work better at creating a similar effect although it won't stop serverhopping related issues.

To be honest I really don't see the point of the public hive, all it adds to the game is ways to break it.

Who said you couldn't respawn on the same server after you died? While that, on it's own, is an interesting idea for private hives, I don't think it would work in conjunction with what I was talking about in my OP.

So you would still have freshspawns storming onto the beaches, they just wouldn't be doing so later in the server "day" unless they just died on the same server. I think that implementing this mechanic would give public hive servers more of the closed population feel that private hives have. So if you're on a server 4 hours into the restart period, you don't have to worry about players logging in the areas you just cleared. Would make locking down entire towns an achievable feat at the least.

It would also turn sessions into chapters of a somewhat believable character's life, instead of the plane jumping cyber warriors we play today.

No.

How about of the people who have a... How is it called... A life? This aint everquest or any other of the sort.

Join when you want i say. besides, if you want to suggest something there is a whole forum called SUGGESTIONS.

No.

How about of the people who have a... How is it called... A life? This aint everquest or any other of the sort.

Join when you want i say. besides, if you want to suggest something there is a whole forum called SUGGESTIONS.

What does having a limited selection of servers to choose from when you take a break from your oh so important life have to do with anything? Everquest?

First of all, a copy paste: if you want to suggest something there is a whole forum called SUGGESTIONS.

What does having a limited selection of servers to choose from when you take a break from your oh so important life have to do with anything?

All, if something aint broke dont change it, i want to be able to join whenever i want and leave as well.

Everquest?

I'm old for the average age of gamers nowadays, it was a really demanding and time consuming game, they talk about WoW buy it aint even a 1/10th as demanding nor time consuming..

I think this would be a completely unnecessary game mechanic. The goal of the game design team should be to add more motivation for players to stay on a server, not find ways to keep them out...

I think this would be a completely unnecessary game mechanic. The goal of the game design team should be to add more motivation for players to stay on a server, not find ways to keep them out...

Fair enough. Server hopping, or stoping it, is more important to some than others I guess. Can you explain how this would prevent players from staying on the same server for longer? I think part of the problem right now is that it is too easy to find/access servers without any incentive to stick around. Other than greater inconvenience joining servers, I can't think of a major drawback to this feature.

if you want to suggest something there is a whole forum called SUGGESTIONS.

If you want to report something, use the report-button.

Don't be the backseat-moderator noone likes.

Majority will just read this as KOS anyone you see unless you wanna risk 12hr vacation..

I feel like im missing something here...

Edited by halp