Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

Bamboo!

First off I'll say why bamboo might have a problem being introduced - it's a bit cold.

Other than that, and the temperature could be counteracted by being grown in a greenhouse (even though in game the green houses don't have glass!), they are the ultimate crafting material; weapons, armour, furniture, building and cooking (both equipment and fuel), to name just few.

Bamboo grows quickly, is easily cultivated and can adapt to many soils. Nitrate fertilisers help it, and we already have those in the game, and the amount of rain in Chernarus is perfect for growing bamboo. I'm guessing it would be "fairly easy" to implement graphically too. 

So.. let's hear it for bamboo. 

I want a Bamboo blowpipe firing poisoned darts!

Chernarus's temperature doesn't seem too bad. Bamboo should be able to grow fine.

Bamboo Bow... Bambow. Must have.

I want a Bamboo blowpipe firing poisoned darts!

Just one of many things bamboo could be used for! We have the poison from the berries already.

Chernarus's temperature doesn't seem too bad. Bamboo should be able to grow fine.

Bamboo Bow... Bambow. Must have.

Not ideal is probably the best way to put it. As most servers seem to be set to Autumn and the ambient temps tend to be between 0 and 12 degrees C, the problem is the speed the bamboo grew at. In warmer climates it can be one of the fastest growing plants around. In the cold, much less so (as you'd expect). Bamboo will grow in somewhere like Spain, for example, but not in say Czech Republic and Chernarus seems to be on a latitude in the middle of those.

And yes, a bamboo bow would be an ideal thing, depending on how fast it grew (and thus the length of the segments) it could even be a longbow, but in truth you want yew for that.

Also, for the sadistic element of the DayZ player base (not me) - Bamboo torture.  Drag your DayZ hostages off to your bamboo farm and have the bamboo shoots grow through their bodies.  Yuck.

You can also eat bamboo shoots, not to mention the crafting potential (can make a pretty nice 4 prong spear with just 2-3 cuts and a bit of trimming/sharpening).  Temperature wouldn't be a problem since some varieties grow high up in the mountains and can survive temps of -20 degrees (F).  However I don't think it'd be a very good fit for the area.  There's no native species in Europe, that would mean any bamboo that would be found in Chenarus would be either decorative or farmed for material.  Since it's a rather poor country I doubt Mrs. Chenarus would be growing a decorative plant from Asia in her garden, and with an active lumber industry I don't see them allocating land for bamboo farms or a businessman being farsighted enough to start bamboo farms in Chenarus.

• Like 1