zalman

Was the game better or worse with bandit skin?

Im interested in your opinions.

Also, why do you think the times with bandit skin only about 10%< shoot on sight?

You didn't want to be a bandit cause you knew you would 100% be shoot on site, this led to survivors co-oping and a balanced and fun game.

discuss!

Im interested in your opinions.

Also' date=' why do you think the times with bandit skin only about 10%< shoot on site?

You didn't want to be a bandit cause you knew you would 100% be shoot on site, this led to survivors co-oping and a balanced and fun game.

discuss!

[/quote']

I just missed the Bandit Skins when I started playing. By everything I've read or seen in Let's Plays, it's removal seemed to open the flood gates for Banditry though.

People still shot people on sight, and this went for bandits on bandits and survivors on survivors + everything in between. People complained about how ridding the suits made things worse, but it clearly made the game more interesting and (if it can be said for a video game) realistic. It also probably helped increase the average life of players because instead of taking for granted that the guy in the survivor suit was their buddy they now have to consider that he may in fact just be waiting to put a round in the back of their head.

You should also consider that there were a lot of people with bandit skins who'd gotten the skin because they killed a survivor shooting them when they were a survivor.

What little trust in fellow their fellow man players did have was lost at bandit skin removal. Most players simply shoot on site or alt+F4 when they see see me approaching. The game is still fun to play and is not any worse, just the only people I play with now is my vent crew.

What little trust in fellow their fellow man players did have was lost at bandit skin removal. Most players simply shoot on site or alt+F4 when they see see me approaching. The game is still fun to play and is not any worse' date=' just the only people I play with now is my vent crew.

[/quote']

exactly, i think rocket should at least have done a community/majority based vote before deciding to remove the bandit skin. It may not be 100% realistic, but this game isn't realistic anyway, and more importantly, its a game.

the game was more interesting with bandit skins, because player interaction was more diverse.

upon seeing someone, you had to figure out his intentions (the skin alone was not a sure sign), and that led to intense and interesting interaction. There was cooperation, doubt, and betrayal. And true banditry.

This is all gone, nobody has to guess anymore, since it is completely clear how a stranger will react. Trust, doubt, betrayal, coop are gone, its a onedimensional deathmatch now. I wouldn't even call this banditry, since there are no choices to be made. Not shooting first is simply bad play and will lead to getting shot every time.

The game is still fun, but it was way more exciting when player intentions were not completely obvious, which was the case before bandit skins were removed.

worse , it was totally unrealistic , there should be no visual or audible cues on who is a bandit and who isn't.

Just missed the Bandit skin. I'd take having the optional Camo stuff than having the bandit skin...gotta admit I don't hesitate to kill someone who has something I want, whereas, if I knew I was going to be skinned a bandit I would probably leave em be.

worse ' date=' it was totally unrealistic , there should be no visual or audible cues on who is a bandit and who isn't.

[/quote']

I disagree with this completely. Especially in a survival situation where people that would not normally kill people may end up doing it. Fact is psychologists have found visual/auditory tells in murders in present day world that choose to kill normally in about 80%+ of murderers. This would be highly increased for people that would just kill for survival or feel when in actually go's against their morals. So fact is in most bandits in real life their would be visual and auditory tells.

However, that does not mean the bandit skin is the same as those tells. I am on the edge on if it was a good or bad thing. Possibly a new less obvious minor change to bandits? IDK I am really ok with having something and not. Due to the fact that bandits know this is a video game you will not have any audio change because their morality will be intact. Visual is the only thing you could really do.

In all I am fine with either way this is Rockets vision and I'd support whatever he chooses on this notion because both have positives.

all the survivors aren't trained psychologists.... the fact is you can't tell someone is a murderer just by looking at them. The police would have it easy if that were true.

Fact is psychologists have found visual/auditory tells in murders in present day world that choose to kill normally in about 80%+ of murderers.

[Citation Needed]

all the survivors aren't trained psychologists.... the fact is you can't tell someone is a murderer just by looking at them. The police would have it easy if that were true.

The fact is you CAN tell someone is a murderer by looking at them. Play the game a little and listen for heartbeats when you look at them. Faster the heart beat, the more they've killed.

The fact is you CAN tell someone is a murderer by looking at them. Play the game a little and listen for heartbeats when you look at them. Faster the heart beat' date=' the more they've killed.

[/quote']

Fact is youre dead by the time you get within range. And it shouldn't be in the game anyway. Just like bandit skins, you can't tell is someone is about to murder you just by listening to your hearbeat.

It's just not 'realistic' that someone suddenly changes clothes just by killing a bunch of people.

Since then different skins have been implemented, and if you see someone with a ghillie suit or any other non-standard skin: shoot first, they often got worthy loot to lose and will shoot if they see you first or try to get away stealthily.

Allot of people that murder in a video game would not murder in real life so the effects would be quite more drastic and noticeable. Shaking hands etc. So you would not need to be a trained psychologist to see these or notice these. As I said it would be hard to replicate the exact thing because fact is people know it's a video game. I am on the edge, but simply saying in real life their would be no visual/audio signs is inaccurate.

then why are all the survivors super soldiers who can handle weapons and sprint for forever, this game ISN'T realistic so stop using it as an excuse. and anyway fun time playing>realism.

The people who survive to the stage of the apocalypse would already have needed to put morals aside and kill people. Only the hardest would be able to survive , i don't think they would have any issues with killing someone any more.

After the removal, the survivor skin became the new bandit skin.

There's pleanty of rescources to go around, people aren't murdering other people because they need to, they just kill others to pass time. This is not authenticity, when dying means nothing, killing means nothing and living means nothing.

When average survival climbed from 30min to 33min, it was suppose to be a major statictical abmormality, well it's back to 31min again.

I think that the bandit skin made people think twice about pulling the trigger on another player. Right now there is no consequence for murdering players and I think the bandit skin provided a perfect balance. Should have stayed in defo

why not offer 2 options to the server providers?

hardcore servers: no bandit skin and no cross-hair

regular servers: bandit skin and cross-hair.

or keep it as is but add "casual server" with bandit skin.

and why is it "casual" to have a bandit skin? I think it added another dimension to the game TBH...

and why is it "casual" to have a bandit skin? I think it added another dimension to the game TBH...

i think all servers should have bandit skin, but this would be a compromise so those who wants to play "realistically" could do it, there is definitely a demand for a "less-pvp" server and i think(and know) bandit skin balances out and lessens the pvp.

Removal of the skin was the worst thing that could happen for the "nice" player.

Removal of the skin was the best thing that could happen for the "evil" player.

Take your pick.

Back in the day I shot every bandit skin on sight, without thinking twice.

Now I shoot everyone wielding any kind of weapon, without thinking twice.

Take your pick.

The cool thing about the bandit skin was if you shot someone in selfdefense, you risked getting hunted yourself and would actively have to avoid survivors to return as a survivor yourself.

The cool thing about the bandit skin was if you shot someone in selfdefense' date=' you risked getting hunted yourself and would actively have to avoid survivors to return as a survivor yourself.

[/quote']

yep, and i liked that! self defense is also violence. If you wanted to be totally safe you had to hide, i think it worked in a good way, tho they could add a "blue - grey - red" system for pk'ing (dont want to explain it)