Noble Savage

multiple accounts from one PC = GUID chaos

I share use of a desktop pc with my 2 housemates, we all have Steam accounts and two of us own seperate copies of DayZ.

Now, if my housemate has played DayZ since I last played wheni log in I get his character up on my screen and his character name, the same goes in reverse, if I finish up and log out of Steam when my friend logs into his steam account and boots up his Dayz game he gets my character and in game name.

This is annoying but not game breaking however things have taken a stranger turn... It seeme we share a GUID, or at least Steam/dayz client is occasionally confusing our GUID's along with our characters and names.

I know this because I submitted my GUID to a whitelisted server and my friend didn't. However, when logging from the desktop we can both play on that server, although if my friend plays dayz twice without me playing in between we can neither of us join the whitelisted server. This is not the case when we log into steam /dayz from our own laptops.

It doesn't take much imagination to see the potential for serious problems, for example if one party hacked the other may get the ban not to mention trolling of friends etc, we are both too mature for either of those but i am sure there are hundreds if not thousands of other players in a similar situation who are unaware of this.

Are the devs aware? and are there plans to address it?

Edited by Noble Savage

The main menu character (and name) gets loaded from a file in the computer's documents folder. The character gets rewritten when a different character connects to a server. Therefore if you finish playing on your account and your friend then runs the game on his Steam account, he will see your character in the main menu until he joins a server. This, imo, isn't a huge problem, but if what you say about the guids is true, that might be an issue. 

I would suggest posting this onto the feedback tracker. You can then PM me a link to the issue on the FT and I'll make sure the QA folks at BIS have a look at it when they can.

• Like 1

The main menu character (and name) gets loaded from a file in the computer's documents folder. The character gets rewritten when a different character connects to a server. Therefore if you finish playing on your account and your friend then runs the game on his Steam account, he will see your character in the main menu until he joins a server. This, imo, isn't a huge problem, but if what you say about the guids is true, that might be an issue. 

I would suggest posting this onto the feedback tracker. You can then PM me a link to the issue on the FT and I'll make sure the QA folks at BIS have a look at it when they can.

cheers, will do.

There's definitely something odd happening, i am currently unable to log into any of my whitelisted servers, also, I didn't edit my house mates IGN and when in game I show up as him on the player list. Anyway, I will submit a ticket now.

Edited by Noble Savage

You can probably also change the location of your DayZ profiles to unique directories on each of your steam accounts to save on the confusion when you launch the game (assuming the menu screen character data is stored there), you'll have to configure your settings again the first time or copy paste your old profiles to the new directory location. Example below:

Right click DayZ on your account > Properties > Set Launch Options 

-profiles=C:\NobleSavage -name=Noble Savage

You can probably also change the location of your DayZ profiles to unique directories on each of your steam accounts to save on the confusion when you launch the game (assuming the menu screen character data is stored there), you'll have to configure your settings again the first time or copy paste your old profiles to the new directory location. Example below:

Right click DayZ on your account > Properties > Set Launch Options 

-profiles=C:\NobleSavage -name=Noble Savage

Submitted a ticket, link here - http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=20374

will try what you suggest SmashT