Karmaterror

Banning for inappropriate behaviour...

Its some airship game on steam....guy names his ship something very racist, then was being racist in chat.... so they gave him a weeks ban.

Now racist player names, words in chat ect is a good place to start, on some basic level, of combatting the problem.

And NSA....come on....server chat logs to notepad....keyword search. Im sure someone could make an automated program to perform that job say each time a server is restarted or something. Then strikes/bans issued.

I really just hate how people think its OK to spew racist garbage in game environments....where they wouldn't anywhere else in there day to day lifes. Why not send a message that "you know what.....just like everywhere else.....its not ok here either"

Okay well monitoring voice chat and being banned for displaying racist names, words, chat, etc in game are a tad different. 

You know what solves this problem better than banning?  Mute/ignore functions.

Don't ban/punish people for such a grey zone behavior.  Words are words, intention is what makes them insulting/derogatory.  I avoid using most homophobic/racial slurs out of courtesy myself, but it doesn't mean there's a ton of people who use them in a non-intentionally insulting manner.  They shouldn't get a ban just for using a word, and you can't design a system with current technology that recognizes intent (hell people can't even recognize intent through text half the time).

So ignore/mute, problem solved.  Otherwise just kill them/leave the area/whatever.  This game hardly forces you to talk to people.

• Like 1

That's the kind of shit im on about!

That needs some basic level of policing IMO

How hard is it really for GSP's to screen welcome messages....share the load....they do server messages and devs do in game chat....just something that says "we do not condone racism and will do something to try and combat it in the public environment we provide"

You shouldn't have to say you aren't a racist and that you don't like it. 

That's a given. The fact that people have to actually say out loud for the record they are not racist is silly. 

That's a given. The fact that people have to actually say out loud for the record they are not racist is silly. 

That's not why I made this thread.....but ok ;)

EDIT for clarification....

Not saying the devs should just SAY they don't condone racism.....but to actively try and put a stop to it :)

Edited by Karmaterror

That's not why I made this thread.....but ok ;)

Then I'll tell you what I think of your idea: 

I think it's bad

Bohemia Interactive should not be issuing bans against people who use racist language or chat in DayZ. You can't build a game that pulls its greatest strength from unadulterated player interaction and then ZAP somebody out of the world because they said "Kill the niggers" or "Jews have big noses". If you don't want to hear racist language, then that's too bad. Welcome to life. Welcome to DayZ. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. 

It's one thing to police server messages or names (I fully support that), but policing in game player interaction? That's going too far. You can't have a game where you can do anything to other players and say anything to other players if you have the threat of a ban hanging over you if you say something that some people think is too mean. Because that's basically what this idea is. It's putting a limit on how mean you can be to your fellow man...and in a survival game like DayZ that just isn't good game design. 

Also, you say that a lot of this is the server owner's responsibility...and that's also wrong. That's extremely wrong. As a server owner, why should I be held responsible if somebody who's ten kilometers away calls somebody a spick or a honky or a porch monkey? Why should I be punished for that? It's one thing to police a forum where you can see everything that is posted in text form for all to see. It's one thing to monitor a game of Counter Strike where you can ban or kick people for cheating or glitching, but in Chernarus, players can be separated by vast distances and some players may only say something racist or incredibly offensive one time to one person...and in a game where you can't tell who people are by just looking at them or a scoreboard or a kill feed...you tell me how I am supposed to police my very own Chernarus.

I don't like people using racist language, but it doesn't bother me because I'm mature enough to just ignore it and accept the fact that people who use racial based insults are just not clever, witty, mature people. That's all it comes down to. You can call me anything you want, but...I'm just not twelve years old. I just don't get how people can be so offended by words. Maybe I'm naive like that, but it just seems to me that if some randy nobody that you meet in DayZ can make you genuinely upset by using a racial slur...maybe this just isn't the game for you

• Like 7

1. See this illustrates my point perfectly.

Rape will never be in the game because its a line the devs WILL NOT cross.

Racisim is just as unacceptable, and they should take measures to stop it. Like the devs I mentioned in the OP

___

2.PS you can spend a night in the cells in the UK for using racial slurs....im sure something similar applies in other countries no?

1.There is plenty of abuse implied in the game, even on an ealy development point as is it right now, implied rape "enter in that building and take off your pants" and much more, i just saw couple days ago two dudes that killed one guys and were keeping one more as hostage, force feeding "his friends dick" to him, all you have to do is check youtubes dayz gameplays or play every now and then to come across some player made gruesome stuff.

Are you implying that cannibalism is ok? 'Cause if racism is a nono how are other kinds of abuse fine and dandy?

2. Not in most of european countries, if we talk about racial slurs. Freedom of speech and all that you know...

If you find someone in-game that is saying something racist or over-the-line, there's a function where you can check their name ( Check Pulse. ) and then find their name on the player list ( Press P ) then below their info, there is a [Mute] button, press it, you will now no longer hear them in-game.

*snip*

But as others have said, this is an 18+ game, there is and will be very vulgar/racist remarks made over voice chat, because in the apocalypse, respect and being nice is long past dead.

I could not agree more with you, have all my beans please :beans: .

Edited by Steak and Potatoes

Then I'll tell you what I think of your idea: 

I think it's bad

Bohemia Interactive should not be issuing bans against people who use racist language or chat in DayZ. You can't build a game that pulls its greatest strength from unadulterated player interaction and then ZAP somebody out of the world because they said "Kill the niggers" or "Jews have big noses". If you don't want to hear racist language, then that's too bad. Welcome to life. Welcome to DayZ. You can't have your cake and eat it, too. 

It's one thing to police server messages or names (I fully support that), but policing in game player interaction? That's going too far. You can't have a game where you can do anything to other players and say anything to other players if you have the threat of a ban hanging over you if you say something that some people think is too mean. Because that's basically what this idea is. It's putting a limit on how mean you can be to your fellow man...and in a survival game like DayZ that just isn't good game design. 

Well the devs do draw lines....you cant do ANYTHING to players.....being racist drops into the category of unacceptable to me (along with other things the devs have deemed unacceptable). So stooping racism isn't good game design....hmm struggling with that one. You can be mean as you like....whats the issue with just avoiding racism. Something that can have a profound effect on its victims.

Also, you say that a lot of this is the server owner's responsibility...and that's also wrong. That's extremely wrong. As a server owner, why should I be held responsible if somebody who's ten kilometers away calls somebody a spick or a honky or a porch monkey? Why should I be punished for that? It's one thing to police a forum where you can see everything that is posted in text form for all to see. It's one thing to monitor a game of Counter Strike where you can ban or kick people for cheating or glitching, but in Chernarus, players can be separated by vast distances and some players may only say something racist or incredibly offensive one time to one person...and in a game where you can't tell who people are by just looking at them or a scoreboard or a kill feed...you tell me how I am supposed to police my very own Chernarus.

You misunderstand....I meant its there resposability to remove these players....IF THEY SEE FIT. By no means should you be held accountable for what someone else says and I never suggested that. What I trying to say is its up to you how you run your server, if you don't want racism then its up to you to weed it out. But I think the devs should take a more active role in combatting it. Not leaving server admins as the first, last and only line of defence.

I don't like people using racist language, but it doesn't bother me because I'm mature enough to just ignore it and accept the fact that people who use racial based insults are just not clever, witty, mature people. That's all it comes down to. You can call me anything you want, but...I'm just not twelve years old. I just don't get how people can be so offended by words. Maybe I'm naive like that, but it just seems to me that if some randy nobody that you meet in DayZ can make you genuinely upset by using a racial slur...maybe this just isn't the game for you

That's not maturity....that's ignorance...welI... IMO. It doesn't bother you sure.....there are many whom it does and would greatly benefit from an environment free of it. If it started up at your place of work and clearly effected another employee.....would you be  so quick to say hell it dosent matter because I can take it....forget the guy who cant.

This game has been for me for years now.....I will always play dayz (well until that day in the distant future when I eventually tire if it) but racisim isn't a feature....it adds nothing and should be fought at every turn. Not for you but for those who it effects.

2. Not in most of european countries, if we talk about racial slurs. Freedom of speech and all that you know...

Freedom of speech does not encompass racial slurs.

Im not implying canabalism is ok but it has president in survival situations. What about that movie where the plane goes down and they eat some of the survivors. Based on true story if I remember right.

Give me a survival situation where racial insults are key to survival.....

All the stuff you mentioned is players improvising with the mechanics......if its poss why not include a suck dick animation.....because its a LINE not to be crossed. I feel the  same way about racial insults....they area line not to be crossed,and  if poss should be fought by the people creating the environment.

I feel like all you're doing is seeking attetion, and start arguments, so i wont be coming back to write after this because i think everything it's been said and your arguements have been shut down by Rags in such a way that all you write seems to me empty of meaning and sense.

You should incorporate a poll so see how much people shares their opinion with you.

And if this is a suggestion, as you attempt to make it look like, perhaps you should've posted on the "suggestions" forum.

Racism is wrong, but try to police it on a game like this is going to get you nowhere, nor fix the problem within society itself.

Peace, out.

Edited by BrainlessZombie
  • Like 2

being racist drops into the category of unacceptable to me

I don't care what offends you.

• Like 4

"If a racial comment is typed/said in a forest and no one is around to hear/see it, does it make it a bannable offense?"

For OP, about 3:30 and on..

Edited by aasand
  • Like 2

Give me a survival situation where racial insults are key to survival.....

American prisons? Never been in one, but I bet I couldn't join the black dudes or the hispanic.. My best bet would be to go undercover as a neo i think so i wouldn't get raped in the showers. This is how I see the stereotypical american prison. Blame the movies, not me.

What we are saying is this basicly.. We don't want it... People are going to be asshole racist no matter what and they are provoking you just to get that reaction. Learn to deal with difficult people or you are doomed to fail in life. It's a fucking game with anonymous players and not even NSA would be capable of stopping everything you or someone else feel is "over the edge". That has to be some serious job. Just think of all the languages and ways of spelling/saying things. Just thinking about that even possible would make the worst dictators wet their pants. Welcome to the internet.

Edited by aasand
  • Like 1

"If a racial comment is typed/said in a forest and no one is around to hear/see it, does it make it a bannable offense?"

For OP, about 3:30 and on..

Notice in the entire thing he dosent use 1 racial remark though.....in his entire political correctness speech....that's because in some cases political correctness is .....well....correct ;)

"freedom of speech is not a right to slander"

American prisons? Never been in one, but I bet I couldn't join the black dudes or the hispanic.. My best bet would be to go undercover as a neo i think so i wouldn't get raped in the showers. This is how I see the stereotypical american prison. Blame the movies, not me.

This isn't prison simulator, and btw.....racial slurs in that environment are more likely to get you shanked than aid in survival.

Notice in the entire thing he dosent use 1 racial remark though.....in his entire political correctness speech....that's because in some cases political correctness is .....well....correct ;)

"freedom of speech is not a right to slander"

It was the "im offended" speech i was refering to. Ok, so this is it. People are bad, and we can't stop them from being it. Just learn to deal with them or just turn of your chat, tell them they are assholes and move on.

This isn't prison simulator, and btw.....racial slurs in that environment are more likely to get you shanked than aid in survival.

Not when im with my black homies.. Then i need to use racial slurs just to keep in with them. Or else they would notice that i'm white as snow.

But yeah, i'm out.. You can't stop people from being racist, homophobic or anything else. But you can do your best to not be one of them and just leave it at that.

Edited by aasand
  • Like 1

It was the "im offended" speech i was refering to. Ok, so this is it. People are bad, and we can't stop them from being it. Just learn to deal with them or just turn of your chat, tell them they are assholes and move on.

I just cannot see the logic in....

Be racist in a bar......thrown out, barred, maybe even police involved if serious

Be racist in a Cinema.....Same

Be racist in a Cafe.....Same

Be racist in a Shop.....Same

Be racist in a video game.......Oh that's fine....freedom of speech!.....nothing we can do!....ect ect ect

Well im in here saying there IS something we can do, there are measures to cut it down and make people think before they say certain things...

And quite honestly im shocked at how many people are saying that they are basically not bothered. 

Let me ask a simple question....if there was a racism filter on and you could get 3 strikes and a ban for it.....what does that TAKE AWAY from dayz?

To me nothing is lost but a lot is gained....guess im just weird like that.

Be racist in a bar......thrown out, barred, maybe even police involved if serious

Be racist in a video game.......Oh that's fine....

Commit murder in a bar......thrown out, barred, maybe even police involved if serious

Commit murder in a Cinema.....Same

Commit murder in a Cafe.....Same

Commit murder in a Shop.....Same

Commit murder in a video game.......Oh that's fine....

YES THE DEVS SHOULD BAN DAYZ ALTOGETHER !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what OP, there's no simulated police in dayz...anything goes. If you want to be the nanny-state police, request the devs to make you a special uniform and make sure you are on all the servers all the time to send them naughty kids to sit in the corner.

What next...get banned for making religious comments in the game ? Get banned for laughing at another being a cripple ?

• Like 2

Be racist in a video game.......Oh that's fine....freedom of speech!.....nothing we can do!....ect ect ect

Well im in here saying there IS something we can do, there are measures to cut it down and make people think before they say certain things...

And quite honestly im shocked at how many people are saying that they are basically not bothered. 

Let me ask a simple question....if there was a racism filter on and you could get 3 strikes and a ban for it.....what does that TAKE AWAY from dayz?

To me nothing is lost but a lot is gained....guess im just weird like that.

Yeah, the police thing is really strange to me. It's just too much and i feel sorry for people living there actually. (we have the same thing in a way but that is general harassment that strikes fear. Not hey n****** and then you are jailed)

I'm not bothered because that is what they want, and as l just think to myself that these guys probably are fat neckbeards living in their moms basement, i'm fine with it. My life is unchanged. (Hey, maybe have a filter on that one too?!)

The racism filter won't work and people are still going to be racist. They are going to have racist thoughts, and be racist as much as they want. Hell, we aren't even able to keep hackers away..

Edited by aasand

Commit murder in a bar......thrown out, barred, maybe even police involved if serious

Commit murder in a Cinema.....Same

Commit murder in a Cafe.....Same

Commit murder in a Shop.....Same

Commit murder in a video game.......Oh that's fine....

YES THE DEVS SHOULD BAN DAYZ ALTOGETHER !!!!!!!!!!!!

Guess what OP, there's no simulated police in dayz...anything goes. If you want to be the nanny-state police, request the devs to make you a special uniform and make sure you are on all the servers all the time to send them naughty kids to sit in the corner.

What next...get banned for making religious comments in the game ? Get banned for laughing at another being a cripple ?

Then lets add rape and sex and blowjobs......see.... it doesnt work that way.

Anything dosent go....the devs have been clear on that....there are things that will not be added.....I feel there is a way to remove racism....I feel they should embrace it.

Yeah, the police thing is really strange to me. It's just too much and i feel sorry for people living there actually.

I'm not bothered because that is what they want, and as l just think to myself that these guys probably are fat neckbeards living in their moms basement, i'm fine with it. My life is unchanged.

The racism filter won't work and people are still going to be racist. They are going to have racist thoughts, and be racist as much as they want. Hell, we aren't even able to keep hackers away..

You never answered the question....you just say it wont work.....my groups l4d2 server kicks for racism....it is possible and can work.

Now...what would we LOOSE if you couldn't say racist words?

Anything dosent go....the devs have been clear on that....there are things that will not be added.....I feel there is a way to remove racism....I feel they should embrace it.

You never answered the question....you just say it wont work.....my groups l4d2 server kicks for racism....it is possible and can work.

Well, then we should add A LOT to that list because i could technically get offended by a lot of things. And in all languages. Also clear definitions on what is considered racism.. Is shooting a black guy racist? Are saying black racist? Some think so. Is religious views also considered racism? Shit , you'll have a monumental task on your hands.

We will loose our collective minds and find racism where there are none. Reminds me of what Sweden has become.. If you even say that you want to limit immigration to the same level as the rest of Europe then you are a Neonazi over there.

Edited by aasand

Left 4 Dead and DayZ are nothing alike. One has a chat box that all players can see and voice chat teams use, and all players are close together in a linear path. DayZ is 225 square kilometers with 50 players wandering all over the place. The fact you compare these two is astonishing. It's unconceivable that you could think these two could be compared.

What will we lose if players can't say racist words?

You lose the most central, fundamental, basic element of what DayZ is... a player interaction driven survival game with no consequences and no policing. You lose the ability to use a word, and no game like this should punish you for using bad language when it is full of murder, cannibalism, and unadulterated player interaction. 

• Like 3

it's a sandbox game. if it's in the game...it's on.

I cannot imagine the devs putting in X hours of effort to implement the other 2 features you mention, that have never been part of the game.

Just like they won't spend X hours developing a spanky new system to cripple player conversations.

Well, then we should add A LOT to that list because i could technically get offended by a lot of things. And in all languages. Also clear definitions on what is considered racism.. Is shooting a black guy racist? Are saying black racist? Some think so. Is religious views also considered racism? Shit , you'll have a monumental task on your hands.

We will loose our collective minds and find racism where there are none. Reminds me of what Sweden has become.. If you even say that you want to limit immigration to the same level as the rest of Europe then you are a Neonazi over there.

Now this is a very good point....what to class as racist and what not to. Obviously its a highly personal thing and is different player to player. However im sure there are a damn good few words (that im not going to type) that people could universally class as racist remarks. That's where I feel they should make the start. The word "black" has is far too common to be considered a racial insult alone. But in a certain context yes it could  be. That  would be where the player decides weather its worth reporting it, or letting it go.

If it was reported the devs could issue the ban/warning. I mean hell they got a place to report your server and where you are stuck and they will free you, they really should have time to deal with(by the sounds of this thread) what would be very few reports about it. That could also be the place to drop evidence of voice comms racism.

But still....what do we LOOSE from our dayz experience if racism was filtered and punished??

Now this is a very good point....what to class as racist and what not to. Obviously its a highly personal thing and is different player to player. However im sure there are a damn good few words (that im not going to type) that people could universally class as racist remarks. That's where I feel they should make the start. The word "black" has is far too common to be considered a racial insult alone. But in a certain context yes it could  be. That  would be where the player decides weather its worth reporting it, or letting it go.

If it was reported the devs could issue the ban/warning. I mean hell they got a place to report your server and where you are stuck and they will free you, they really should have time to deal with(by the sounds of this thread) what would be very few reports about it. That could also be the place to drop evidence of voice comms racism.

But still....what do we LOOSE from our dayz experience if racism was filtered and punished??

And this system would also be abused and worked around like everything else. If i kill some kids and they all say I was racist and then I get banned . It must be verified you say? How? recordings and screenshots? Then we would have a team of maybe a few hundred people working on this. How many million copies have been sold again?

For your own sake just learn to deal with them with an axe to the head or something. You don't need to be ok with it, just realise that some people are never going to quit trying to make you upset in some way or another. Become a vigilante style murderer or something.. Try to pose as a racist and get in their inner circle before you axe them a question.

Last question we have already answered that many times.

Edited by aasand