Sign in to follow this  
saintofthesystem

Server Resource Usage and Crashes: pre and post - 0.52

Now we're getting somewhere, thanks.  You don't need a reason, that's fine.

d9nPnUC.png

I'll repost this here, since they want to delete what I consider legitimate reporting and questioning - instead of addressing it, I guess they can re-delete it here.

Then we'll have traction.  I want to hear from other people renting servers, or playing on them, that's actually paying attention to - and cares about - the memory leaks and crash cycles. 

[From Devblog, Week of 01 Dec 14]

For now the team is focused on critical bugfixes and server side performance optimization for 0.52 midway through December (due to the upcoming holiday season).

Today is similar, I'll look at that shortly.  This was yesterday:

sIytkkI.jpg

I'd like to get copies of my files to see how often this is happening on ours. I don't know if Fragnet will offer this or not though. We are indeed experiencing issues where we're having to restart the server manually. We have no other choice to get the server back up and running again.

Here is what I received today from Fragnet in a ticket regarding our server hanging/crashing:

Hello Mark,

This is a bug of the game itself that we will report to Bohemia Interactive so that they can fix it on the next patch.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.
-----------------------------------
Marcos @ Fragnet
Fragnet Networks AB - Game Hosting Solutions
Web: http://www.fragnet.net
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure all servers are seeing this, although to normal player base it is only noticeable/discernable from a 'reset' when servers crash and don't reset properly, leaving it in a locked up or 'nothing can be interacted with' state.  Players not connected at that time will see 'wait for host' until it is properly reset.  The server could have as few as 15 players and this can still happen.

Most crashes follow with a proper restart, so if people aren't paying attention, they'll think it just restarted early or something.

Feedback tracker:  http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=20237

We might have problems with timed restarts sometimes - however we have zero problems with the server beeing "stuck".

I see you are using multiplay servers - you might consider switching to fragnet - they do not offer clanforge but working servers ;)

Do you have some kind of data to show your servers are not crashing and then restarting periodically? Crashes and/or resets can cause a timing discrepancy between BEC and reported server uptime, but it could be settings too. By the way, do you have persistence on?

We might have problems with timed restarts sometimes - however we have zero problems with the server beeing "stuck".

I see you are using multiplay servers - you might consider switching to fragnet - they do not offer clanforge but working servers ;)

I'm with Fragnet and we're seeing a hangup about once a day when at 40 players. Fragnet responded that this is a bug with .52. If you're on a private server that might be why you're not experiencing the issue as we don't have a whitelist.

Here is the response from our ticket:

This is a bug of the game itself that we will report to Bohemia Interactive so that they can fix it on the next patch.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to contact us.

-----------------------------------

Marcos @ Fragnet

Fragnet Networks AB - Game Hosting Solutions

Web: http://www.fragnet.net

Any form of lock up or crash issue will happen on both high and low population, public or private.

Like i've said & shown, undeniable 'lock-ups' aside, a crash error will be witnessed at some point during uptime,

and easily be mistaken by players as a somewhat-normal yet oddly-timed reset, especially if logs/data aren't able to be served up. Anyway...

The OP showing the worst section of performance was during/after the reverting of the 24-hour time cycle back to standard issue start,

without me doing anything, & with no news on what happened with that - Point is, the issues persist and doesn't care what your GSP or settings are.

My concern is, while December DevBlogs said server stability & performance was a primary focus for this month, nothing else was said about it

other than adding the glanced-over 'Known Issues' note of "server crashes" on 0.52's changelog.  Quick turn around there.

So while this patch saw more of the same, core system & feature updates apparently fell by the wayside, and still it got shit tons of premature praise.

Hell, almost nobody cares about the re-re-breaking of 'eating batteries when you lick them' anymore because that stuff has become expected -

but anything to do with persistence, server performance, or time cycles (or any biggie) should be cared about & communicated in detail, especially when it gets worse.

But it won't.  The alpha cult hood quickly covers the heads of anyone with slight expectations of progressive standards.

It would've been praise-worthy to show progress if there was any, instead of sacrifice for more distractive content.

Edited by saintofthesystem