Merc.

Multiple-Player Dependent Actions (Assist,Lift,etc)

Hello All, 

I have a couple of suggestions here with the main two in the title.

I'm suggesting actions that require two+ people along with more animations/actions for player interaction:

1)    Carry dead/unconscious/bound player

• Limits speed.
  • Carrying player can either use two hands or one hand to be able to carry weapon, however there will be a greater speed penalty and lower weapon accuracy.
  • Player breaking out duct tape (see below) can drop out of carry.

2)   Lift of some objects requires more than one player.

• Objects include but not limited to vehicle engine.

3) Duct Tape can be used to bind an unconscious player.

• Amount and state of duct tape determines strength vs wiggle.

For example,

1) If someone has been injured in a gun fight and they are unconscious, another player could (with an animation) lift that player on their back. They could then move that person to a safer location. This could also be useful for the bandit role. That is, they could then move that person to their hideout or something along those lines.

Closing Thoughts:

I have been thinking more about other types of objects that would require a carry, but I can't think of any. Let's be honest though, a car engine block shouldn't be something to fit on your backpack or be able to be carried by one player. I think this put's more towards cooperation (and possibly, betrayal).

Carrying Players has always been something I would LOVE to see. As I was writing this I thought about dead players and that would make for some interesting player interactions... 

"Who's that your carrying?"

"Oh, my friend, he's unconscious from a firefight"

"Checks pulse, Player is dead"

oO

As for the duct tape, I've always wondered why you couldn't use it to bind other players. Made little sense to me aside from the fact that they are building the game still, (Duh)

• Like 3

Are you suggesting the actions relevant to "Gears of War" and "Army of Two"?

Are you suggesting the actions relevant to "Gears of War" and "Army of Two"?

Because they are features in those games they shouldn't be in this one? I assume your pertaining to them being first person shooters so that means it's bad right?

Carrying someone over your back as a bandit would be pretty cool I would think, locking them in a room. Stacking dead bodies in a building. Carrying your injured friend because they broke their leg in a survival game. 

Never played those games so I don't know how they work there.

Edited by yocheco619

Also My Apologies the principle idea of carrying someone has been suggested.

This is a great idea, as the game lacks dynamics that would encourage teamwork. The game has devolved to almost every situation being "kill asap or be killed" because there is not much reason to ever need other people.

2 people being needed to carry a log or other heavy building material [sack of cement or sheet metal]?

2 people being needed to carry a log or other heavy building material [sack of cement or sheet metal]?

Anyone that couldn't carry a bag of cement or sheet metal by themselves is a pussy and deserves to die in a post-apoc setting :P

Tradesmen haul that stuff around by hand all the time. Ever seen roofers? They put two bags of shingles over their shoulders and climb a ladder propped against a two story wall at 70 degrees without any hands.

Anyone that couldn't carry a bag of cement or sheet metal by themselves is a pussy and deserves to die in a post-apoc setting :P

Tradesmen haul that stuff around by hand all the time. Ever seen roofers? They put two bags of shingles over their shoulders and climb a ladder propped against a two story wall at 70 degrees without any hands.

This I can vouch for, most common Cement bags are at least 25 KG each and are easily able to be carried by a single person. If anything you could easily stuff 75 KG (three bags worth of cement) into a backpack no problem and carrying it would be a breeze. Sheet metal is also not that heavy that a single person can carry it, granted some are quite heavy however I don't really see a practical application to adding something THAT heavy to a game like DayZ.

More over, in the game "The Forest" the character you play there is an even bigger badass by carrying two whole logs on his shoulders and still being able to sprint no problem.

I'm not going against all of your ideas though, the idea of a multi-player dependant action does sound nice, such as being able to give a player a lift over a rock or a wall, drag a player or even carry an uncouncious or dead player. For those requiring two people, perhaps allow them to pick up items in world that would require two people.

Some examples I can think include:

• Stretcher - Found in hospitals/ambulances, they can be used to carry another person without further risk of damage (carrying a person on your shoulder for an extended period can make their situation worse) OR be used to carry more equipment (such as multiple filled up backpacks)
  • Storage Crate - In world you could come across a number of storage crates, they can be moved by players to a more secure location but require two people to move them.
  • A large weapon - When vehicle weapons are added, for example a Heavy Machine Gun, I could imagine it would take two people to carry the weapon itself as most HMG's are crew served by at least 2-3 people (2 to carry the weapon itself and another to carry the ammunition)

This I can vouch for, most common Cement bags are at least 25 KG each and are easily able to be carried by a single person. If anything you could easily stuff 75 KG (three bags worth of cement) into a backpack no problem and carrying it would be a breeze. Sheet metal is also not that heavy that a single person can carry it, granted some are quite heavy however I don't really see a practical application to adding something THAT heavy to a game like DayZ.

More over, in the game "The Forest" the character you play there is an even bigger badass by carrying two whole logs on his shoulders and still being able to sprint no problem.

It's bulk not weight that's the problem, and I was talking large bags of cement.

Bags of shingles are not bags of cement.

The game "The Forest" is also not DayZ.

however I don't really see a practical application to adding something THAT heavy to a game like DayZ.

I do. Building zombieproof walls. I came, I saw, I fortified.

Once again, it's the awkward bulk that prevents efficient carrying, not the weight.

Edited by bobotype3334

I like all you ideas acctually and I have been thinking of them my self to. Maybe we could stretch this even furter and have so that some objects needs 3 to carry, pushed pr draged?

Loving the discussion. Crates stretchers weapons all sounded good.