Sign in to follow this  
spydertattoo

Compass glitch or magnetic polar reversal?

I've noticed twice now while traveling at night that the compass reverses direction at some point.  My compass is Pristine, so a bad compass isn't the problem.  I don't know when or at what location exactly this happens, but it does.  I know this because I was running north, using the Big Dipper and North Star to keep my northerly bearing.  I checked my compass to the north star when I started and the compass was correct.  About an hour or so later, I checked my compass again and it said I was going south, but I was still oriented to the north by way of the stars.  

Glitch in the compass?  Magnetic polar reversal?  Day Z black-hole/vortex/bermuda triangle?  

• Like 1

Happened to me also. I don't know landmarks so well yet so I rely on the compass to get me to where I want to go. It took me a bit to realize that I was heading southwest into cherno instead of the north western direction I wanted to go. I can only use the compass for pure east and west bearings since north/south is obviously bugged atm.

I've had my compass show North as east, west, south west, south LOL - sometimes dropping it and picking back up can help but it's not a trustworthy device right now.

When navigating, I'd recommend choosing a point on the map you can orientate to and when you get there, make sure your compass is working before you set off for your next point, etc.

• Like 2

As Zyranoff kindly mentions, this is a known issue that the team will be working on fixing.

I had this issue again yesterday and no amount of dropping the compass would set it right. This was after I swapped my working compass which was worn for a pristine one. The server then restarted and my compass was working again so maybe that's a work around for now - exit the server, close your game and try again.