Sign in to follow this  
Karmaterror

Should scopes in dayz have the ability to zero?

IRL if your were to find a scope lying around and just fit it to your gun, you would HAVE to go to a gun range and spend several hours zeroing and honing the scope to your gun. So lets be honest, they arent exactly true to RL anyway.

IRL if your were to find a scope lying around and just fit it to your gun, you would HAVE to go to a gun range and spend several hours zeroing and honing the scope to your gun. So lets be honest, they arent exactly true to RL anyway.

Several hours is a bit over the top. This might be the case for some people, but if it takes you hours to zero a sight, you might want to drop the weapon and pick up some tomato seeds...

Anyone that actually knows that they are doing should be able to do it in 20 rounds or less and taking 10-15 minutes.

Edited by ChekovP
  • Like 1

Several hours is a bit over the top. This might be the case for some people, but if it takes you hours to zero a sight, you might want to drop the weapon and pick up some tomato seeds...

Anyone that actually knows that they are doing should be able to do it in 20 rounds or less and taking 10-15 minutes.

^^

That

Part of the problem is everyone calls it zeroing when its not zeroing.

Elevation Adjustments.

Zeroing is the act of making sure your sights are hitting where you want them at whatever range you desire as a baseline.

While I don't think that scoped rifles are necessarily 'bandit's tools' primarily, I do think they should be zero-able if their real life counterpart is zero-able.  

Let me know if this is not the case but, as far as I know a hunting scope, like the one my dad uses on his 30-06, is sighted in at about  100-200 yards. You dont really want to adjust that in the field per say because its not designed for that and you wouldnt get a very accurate adjustment on the fly.

Im sure the military scopes are better for this... but there are none of those in the game currently.

Edited by Judopunch

Im sure the military scopes are better for this... but there are none of those in the game currently.

They are all the same in regards to zeroing.

There is no distinction atm in the scope market between civilian glass and military glass.

Any civilian can buy any of the scopes that any military uses , the tactical scopes are usually just more durable and have more internal elevation adjustment range compared to say a cheapo 300 dollar hunting scope.

They are all the same in regards to zeroing.

There is no distinction atm in the scope market between civilian glass and military glass.

Any civilian can buy any of the scopes that any military uses , the tactical scopes are usually just more durable and have more internal elevation adjustment range compared to say a cheapo 300 dollar hunting scope.

Part of my OP. 

And as far as I know hunting scopes do not (often?) have mill-dots.

Let me know if this is not the case but, as far as I know a hunting scope, like the one my dad uses on his 30-06, is sighted in at about  100-200 yards. You dont really want to adjust that in the field per say because its not designed for that and you wouldnt get a very accurate adjustment on the fly.

Yup, I agree they should put a scope like this in. Cheap/older hunting scope. Slotted turrets. Sight in and leave it be, only the latter in the case of DayZ. LRS still needs mil dots and double the current magnification first.

They should have a couple hunting optics without zeroing. Often your average hunting scope will just have a duplex reticle without finger-adjustable elevation or windage turrets. Fixed zero @ 200m would work fine.

• Like 1

Part of my OP. 

And as far as I know hunting scopes do not (often?) have mill-dots.

They do now. In fact hunting scopes have begun to adopt standard ranging reticles such as the mil dot due to the bonuses it provides when hunting.

In the last 10-20 years the civilian firearm industry has begun to imitate the military and thus thus we have an era where finding a duplex reticle hunting scope is actually out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

I read somewhere in here that someone is complaining about the Mosin's recoil being unrealistic... which is... sorry to say, a pretty stupid statement. The weapon is a bolt action and I'm not sure if you've ever fired an actual gun before (I have) the thing doesn't buck upwards like a mule unless you're holding it wrong. There is some climb to it, especially if you elect to do a mag dump but for the most part, the recoil is focused against the stock of the weapon (isn't it crazy? Newton's law of action versus reaction).

You see tons of youtube videos of people smacking themselves with a gun (or one of my favourites, someone firing a shotgun and it literally flies underneath their arm behind them) but those are videos of people doing it -wrong-.

So... assuming that our player avatars are bracing the stock of the weapon against their shoulder properly, no the recoil isn't that horrendous. Sadly recoil on bolt action rifles comes in the form of shoulder fatigue and bruising in some cases, something that isn't easily replicated in a video game no matter how realistic of a survival simulator it might be.

edit: Before this post stirs up the "WELL ACTUALLY" peanut gallery, I am referring to the Mosin alone here. Yes I'm aware there is climb on all forms of weaponry, though on a bolt action rifle it's negligible because in the time it takes to clear the breach and load another round in the chamber, the user has already realigned their sights to compensate. The game achieves this with the rifle bucking up just a bit and the bolt being pulled back and loaded again, I feel.

Edited by DayZoey