NSDWretch

Classifying Bandits

Looking good is an essential part of surviving a zombie apocalypse i pity naked fellow freshspawns who do not have the luxury yet all they have is a t-shirt and jeans just makes me tear up a bit

:(

Gear is easy, but I do hate when I get decked out in a green hoodie and matching cargo, matching backpack, matching hat, green willies.... or full pristine medic, red drybag, etc.

I hate having to get groomed up again, and I hate to die without people seeing how damn good I look first. That's one reason to hate KOS... I wanted to walk the catwalk thru Berezino, and of course sniper and pet Bambi working together to pit me before I got to the edge of town > :(

I hate having to get my clothes back, too. Food, meds, and weapons are easy to get. But getting your look right can take a bit. At the same time, though, it's fun to get a different look going again.

I really hate running into bandits but, they all seem to take a different approach to kill you.

How would a veteran of the game classify and handle bandits?

I dont even use the term bandit or hero, or classify or lable players...unless it either its really crystal clear they play that play style or they belong to a group that is known to play that way. Theres no mechanics for it in the stand alone. I simply will not waste my time with it in the stand alone until they add a rating system and or make players accountable for there actions. Right now there is none. 

As far as dealing with other players go I follow a really simple self rules that keeps my avatar alive. If the other random player has a gun out in hand running around. I consider them hostile period. Its either shoot or flee at that point. I dont care what there play style is, how am I to know. There making hostile postures just by having the gun out. Now when I say this I dont mean someone who is clearly just killing zombies or hunting. If a player is just running along with out the gun out, and appears to be just minding there own biz, as long as its not a military base, and there hasn't been a bunch of pvp activity in there area I will leave them alone. I have a strict personal rule when it comes to voice com. I never make contact, unless the other person makes contact with me 1st and makes a real effort to show there freindly. I have a 15 foot rule. I ask them to keep there distance and keep the encounter short. If they do any misleading, or joking BS, pull any crap, they get a 1st class ticket trip back to the coast. I generally don't like making contact with random player, there are just to many dick heads and pure ass hats that play dayz. Its almost by design people play that way, there is no accountablilty other then dayz street justice..Random player have nothing I want or need that I cant find my self, and sure as hell not giving them my stuff.

One other thing to consider too is what you are geared with. If you got a bunch military gear on in game, well other players are far more likely to think you are hostile. Makes since right? If you have civ gear on, you look allot less hostile, but also can appear weak to the more preditor type players. Regardless over all though for me it appears that most my random close encounters like 80% are negative or not ideal.

Edited by CJFlint

I dont even use the term bandit or hero, or classify or lable players...unless it either its really crystal clear they play that play style or they belong to a group that is known to play that way. Theres no mechanics for it in the stand alone. I simply will not waste my time with it in the stand alone until they add a rating system and or make players accountable for there actions. Right now there is none. 

As far as dealing with other players go I follow a really simple self rules that keeps my avatar alive. If the other random player has a gun out in hand running around. I consider them hostile period. Its either shoot or flee at that point. I dont care what there play style is, how am I to know. There making hostile postures just by having the gun out. Now when I say this I dont mean someone who is clearly just killing zombies or hunting. If a player is just running along with out the gun out, and appears to be just minding there own biz, as long as its not a military base, and there hasn't been a bunch of pvp activity in there area I will leave them alone. I have a strict personal rule when it comes to voice com. I never make contact, unless the other person makes contact with me 1st and makes a real effort to show there freindly. I have a 15 foot rule. I ask them to keep there distance and keep the encounter short. If they do any misleading, or joking BS, pull any crap, they get a 1st class ticket trip back to the coast. I generally don't like making contact with random player, there are just to many dick heads and pure ass hats that play dayz. Its almost by design people play that way, there is no accountablilty other then dayz street justice..Random player have nothing I want or need that I cant find my self, and sure as hell not giving them my stuff.

One other thing to consider too is what you are geared with. If you got a bunch military gear on in game, well other players are far more likely to think you are hostile. Makes since right? If you have civ gear on, you look allot less hostile, but also can appear weak to the more preditor type players. Regardless over all though for me it appears that most my random close encounters like 80% are negative or not ideal.

Classification can be a good thing. It can help identify certain behaviors so you don't just run into a hostile or a friendly and not know what to do. Let me give an example snipers mostly hang out in certain areas like tall buildings and in forest near wide open fields they also tend to stay a far distance away and carry a certain type of weapon. See just Classified sniper by the way i don't think your 15 foot rule works on them.

Gear is easy, but I do hate when I get decked out in a green hoodie and matching cargo, matching backpack, matching hat, green willies.... or full pristine medic, red drybag, etc.

I hate having to get groomed up again, and I hate to die without people seeing how damn good I look first. That's one reason to hate KOS... I wanted to walk the catwalk thru Berezino, and of course sniper and pet Bambi working together to pit me before I got to the edge of town > :(

Green willies require medical treatment. Urgently.

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 1

Classification can be a good thing. It can help identify certain behaviors so you don't just run into a hostile or a friendly and not know what to do. Let me give an example snipers mostly hang out in certain areas like tall buildings and in forest near wide open fields they also tend to stay a far distance away and carry a certain type of weapon. See just Classified sniper by the way i don't think your 15 foot rule works on them.

Well ok, I respect what you have to say. But your the one asking like your having a problem playing and not knowing how to deal with "bandits", not me. I learned how to deal with players like that and generally dont have a problem with them. I turn the tables on them. Thats I responded to your thread.

As far as the 15 foot rule goes, its a buffer between me and the other persons avatar...You are aware a new spawn can simple get a good punch you in the head and knock you out right? Then take your stuff. It happens all the item. I ask random players to keep there distance. If they don't, I send them back to coast. Thats the 15 foot rule. So if you don't mind players getting close to you thats your problem.

What determines how I deal with players in game is there posture. Do they have there gun out, are they sneaking around like there hunting someone. Are they siting up on hill under a bush. I dont give 2 shits about pre defined "hero" term or "bandit" terms that spilled over from the mod and really a just loss terms, to either demonise other players, or make them selves feel better about shooting someone. Its the truth. The way I look at it either a player is hostile or not hostile. You mentioned sniping, as label...one thing I aggree with you on. I do ID players by weapons or posture type. Terms like "Overwatch/sniper", "hostile with akm" stuff like that. Is that what you mean? Thats a good way to do it..so maybe we are not understanding what were each other is saying. Im saying "hero" and "bandit" I dont use those terms in game.

The reality is most of the time when players shoot another player, they will search the other players bodys and remove items they want.so that makes you a bandit?

The reason I say this is I played as "hero" in a "hero" group. Much of the time in the SA its really not all that clear who the "bandits" are or what ever. You just dont know really in the SA, thats the truth....unless you catch them red handed. So basicly I noticed players in my group, would just start randomly labeling player with out really knowing for sure, to justify shooting someone. The reason is becuase they were mod players before SA. There they had a mechanic in game that would rate based off you your actions, which call you hero bandit ect ect....Dayz SA dosn't have that, until they do there no point really in demonizing people...or what ever. So that way of playing in the SA is really wishy washy. But I tip my hat to them. Hopfully one day there will be a rating system that can cator and help that play style. Maybe some kind of moral mechanic.......it would be nothing but good for this game.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

Well ok, I respect what you have to say. But your the one asking like your having a problem playing and not knowing how to deal with "bandits", not me. I learned how to deal with players like that and generally dont have a problem with them. I turn the tables on them. Thats I responded to your thread.

As far as the 15 foot rule goes, its a buffer between me and the other persons avatar...You are aware a new spawn can simple get a good punch you in the head and knock you out right? Then take your stuff. It happens all the item. I ask random players to keep there distance. If they don't, I send them back to coast. Thats the 15 foot rule. So if you don't mind players getting close to you thats your problem....Probably why you die with all due respect and your worried about "bandits". You let them into your dayz world. You have to turn the tables on them.

What determines how I deal with players in game is there posture. Do they have there gun out, are they sneaking around like there hunting someone. Are they siting up on hill under a bush. I dont give 2 shits about pre defined "hero" term or "bandit" terms that spilled over from the mod and really a just loss terms, to either demonise other players, or make them selves feel better about shooting someone. Its the truth. The way I look at it either a player is hostile or not hostile. You mentioned sniping, as label...one thing I aggree with you on. I do ID players by weapons or posture type. Terms like "Overwatch/sniper", "hostile with akm" stuff like that. Is that what you mean? Thats a good way to do it..so maybe we are not understanding what were each other is saying. Im saying "hero" and "bandit" I dont use those terms in game.

The reality is most of the time when players shoot another player, they will search the other players bodys and remove items they want.so that makes you a bandit?..Even "hero" players do that....that one reason I dont use those terms...its totally hypocritical...so why bother its terms that spilled off from the mod (which had the mechanics and rating system for hero and bandits, SA does not). Its really just lose terms and just BS really in the SA. I don't feel I need to justify anything I do in dayz, or need to demonize anyone to get my self the courage to shoot them. I'll just do it.

The reason I say this is I played as "hero" in a "hero" group. Much of the time in the SA its really not all that clear who the "bandits" are or what ever. You just dont know really, thats the truth....unless you catch them red handed. So basicly I noticed players in my group, would just start randomly labeling player with out really knowing for sure, to justify shooting someone. The reason is becuase they were mod players before SA. There they had a mechanic in game that would rate based off you your actions, which call you hero bandit ect ect....Dayz SA dosn't have that, until they do there no point really in demonizing people...or what ever. So that way of playing in the SA is really wishy washy. But I tip my hat to them. Hopfully one day there will be a rating system that can cator and help that play style. Maybe some kind of moral mechanic.......

I did misunderstand what you were saying apologies and i kinda misunderstood the terms in this game by bandits i meant hostiles but now that i think about it i should  have asked how to classify different types of players or i should have just looked at strategies on how how to deal with other players instead of classifying them. Now about the game being rated i fully agree with you on this.

I did misunderstand what you were saying apologies and i kinda misunderstood the terms in this game by bandits i meant hostiles but now that i think about it i should  have asked how to classify different types of players or i should have just looked at strategies on how how to deal with other players instead of classifying them. Now about the game being rated i fully agree with you on this.

Oh no prob.

In a nut shell what I do is discribe a player based of posture and what geared status they are. So like if there just spawned, I call the "fresh spawn" or "freshy". Or example "hostile geared akm" or "sniper in the treeline" stuff like that. Just a quick id really if I'm playing in group, that gives a tells me what to look for. Really Im more concerned with were they are, how many, what they geared with and if there hostile then anything. I want the info quick and simple really.

Bandit and Hero to me is a play style, not so much something I use to ID players in game unless I see them doing just that. Which most of the time I do not.

Edited by CJFlint

Well to be fair a bandit and a KOSer are two different things, a bandit will rob you, new bandits will kill you but proper bandits just rob you....

No. This is something badguys themselves to feel better. Bandits steal, rob, murder, or any other type of shenanigans. Maby try the word mugger, though they will occasionally shoot people first too.

I dont understand this need for 'definition of bandit's'. It seems to always be some kind of moral high-ground grab people are making because they dont want to 'be one of those guys'. 

In my opinion either your a good guy or your a bad guy. How good or how bad, for me, depend on the day. 

• Like 1

It's funny that the OP asks for experienced players to categorize bandits... With all due respect- who the F cares about the difference between an experienced guy and the noob (me.) We've all paid our money... we're all in the game. 

I run into some Dbag who wants to KoS- same as the experienced guy except the latter will make a youtube video about how he handed the guy's ass to him on a platter. He'll run around a corner, quickly bandage up, pull a weapon and go on the prowl. Meanwhile I'm sitting down, clapping and trapped in a cycle of pulling out an axe and putting it away. The KoS side is just a bunch of garbage alongside the guys who combat log. Too scared to have interaction and survive? Well then, go ahead or do one of the above. Poultry excrement. 

A guy who is going to encounter me, control me and take some stuff... and be convincing about it... I have no beef with that. Some jagoff that's going to pull out some tech on me and my T-shirt and crowbar, take my stuff and THEN kill me anyway because he's got one hand on his rat and the other on his mouse and gets some perverted pleasure out of it...  I just hope those idiots get bored of it eventually and move on to other more respectable pursuits- like Candy Crush. 

• Like 1

I classify myself as a sheepdog. I play lone wolf or small unit with a vetted squad of friends. I rarely interact with other players, just not enough trust there. Never will be.

I do, however, make it my business, to eliminate Bandits of any variety. Maybe that classifies me as a hero but I don't see it that way, I'll kill anyone who gets too close.

While I tend not to classify them, enemy is enemy, I generally run down a list of criteria when in a shoot/no-shoot situation.

Military clothing? Gun out? Greet others by pointing a gun at them? Stopping other players and demanding they do certain activities? Generally being a douche bag? You're getting the good news.

Just running around snagging some food and defending yourself against zombies? I'll pass you by. But don't follow me. I'm a sheepdog but not your personal one.

I've done a lot of thinking on my playstyle and on face value it's very hard not to mistake me for your average bandit, as I check several blocks on my own criteria list, oh well, it's the game I play and the risk I take. 

There really aren't any actual bandits anymore...well very few. KOS is not banditry. At least not in the form that it's supposed to be/used to be. I wouldn't give KOSing the benefit of having immersion label. It's only happening at this level because there isn't anything better to do while we test the game, and is totally unrealistic and intentionally so.

A bandit is someone who will hold you up, and depending on the bandits agenda and how well you cooperate they will let you live after taking your things and leaving you naked and handcuffed in the middle of nowhere. They might even feed you a rotten banana. Anyone left that still behaves this way deserves a salute.

I kill both, even if I am playing as a bandit I still kill other bandits.

We had a hallarious encounter in DayZ the mod, a friend and i spawned in as two black toons. We geared up with semi uniforms, barays and AK´s.

Then we agreed on the next player we find, we are going to act out as African militia and have a little fun.

After a while, between Cherno and Balota a fresh spawn runs by, and my friend goes like: Ehey yoo whitheyboooy... come here! We hear a squeaky voice go like... "hi guys".

So i run up and start talking jibberish in a dark typical african voice: Borodi makudi awhaey mubundi?

Guy goes like: What?

I start skreaming: AWHAEY MUBUNDI!? and fire a few shots with the AK next to him.

He gets all paniked and yells "i dont understand". WHAT DO YOU WANT!!

I go: Kewali burundi...

Guy: What!?

me: BURUNDI MATHAFACK!!! and i start shooting in the air

Guy sounds realy stressed goes like OK OK Please dont shoot me!!

BURUNDI!!!!! and we start firing around him... guy goes like hyper squeak: Fuck!!!! and runs off. XD

We let him live ofcourse.

I wish i had fraped it all, realy hard to type and capture the scene but belive me it was hallarious.

Still to this day i wonder if he thought he had encountered two African militia guys playing DayZ in their spare time...

Just to be on the safe side:

"My hate is general, I detest all men;
Some because they are wicked and do evil,
Others because they tolerate the wicked,
Refusing them the active vigorous scorn
Which vice should stimulate in virtuous minds" - Le Misanthrope

Edited by StayAlive