Sign in to follow this  
Karmaterror

Charicter Feedback Brainstoming Thread

OK so the idea is to just come up with any ways you can for the devs to phase out ststus messages, having the character relay the information visually or through sounds.

Some of my ideas on this are

Fractures -

If leg...limp

If arm -One arm hangs down and you cannot draw a rifle just a pistol

Any action involving said arm/leg gives some grunts of pain.

Weather -

Pretty simple, if its cold foggy breath, warm no foggy breath

Cold -

Foggy breath starts small and gets larger all the way up to full as you get colder

Char shivers (visually and audiably)

Hot -

Out of breath sounds linger much longer when you stop running, or a mild version could develop even if you were stationary as you are overheating

Cloths becoming damp for no reason (sweating)

Maybe in extreems passing out unconscious

Hunger -

Stomach grumbles getting louder and longer grumbles the more hungry you are

Maybe yur toon rubs his stomach once every few mins

This should also lead to passing out....eventually

Thirst -

This is one of the harder ones for me....I cant think of any audio or visual ques that you are thirsty

Maybe dry mouth sounds then doubling over clutching stomach every few mins as it gets worse

Also think at extreme dehydration we should start to pass out

So what are your ideas on this, ways your char can tell you how s/he is feeling without text prompts :)

• Like 2

I like the fracture stuff, but not the other stuff.

In real life I know I'm hungry, because I'm hungry. Games can't mimic this feeling, but a small indicator (symbolic or text) is the closest thing to feeling stuff we have right now.

• Like 2

OK so the idea is to just come up with any ways you can for the devs to phase out ststus messages, having the character relay the information visually or through sounds.

Some of my ideas on this are

Fractures -

If leg...limp

They already have animations for these.  Viktor leader animator said in a recent status report: "Last weeks we had many discussions about some great stuff coming to the game. One I am most excited about is the injured player also known as limping animations already showed a while ago. It wasn't the right time to bring this to the game yet because it is very tied to many systems and most of the default animations have to be done and finalized first. We have agreed on how many injured stages there will be and also we would like to represent some illnesses with an animations like cough, sneeze, fever and more. To be clear this is something we won't get sooner then sometime next year. But I'm sure it's worth the wait."

Weather -

Cold -

Foggy breath starts small and gets larger all the way up to full as you get colder

:thumbsup:

Hot -

Out of breath sounds linger much longer when you stop running, or a mild version could develop even if you were stationary as you are overheating

This could also lead to dehydrating faster

Hunger -

Thirst -

This is one of the harder ones for me....I cant think of any audio or visual ques that you are thirsty

Maybe dry mouth sounds then doubling over clutching stomach every few mins as it gets worse

So what are your ideas on this, ways your char can tell you how s/he is feeling without text prompts :)

I like these and have mentioned about removing the status messages or at least the option to and go with audible cues.

• Like 2

I like the fracture stuff, but not the other stuff.

In real life I know I'm hungry, because I'm hungry. Games can't mimic this feeling, but a small indicator (symbolic or text) is the closest thing to feeling stuff we have right now.

I agree, and in a way the status messages deliver the info in the fastest way....dosent take long to realise your hungry IRL. But they are just so intrusive, I mean they get rid of global chat...then spam me with messages every few mins/seconds lol. 

I would be happy if they left the statuses in the inv screen and ditched the messages. But some things would need a bit of explination, that's where they could use audio and visual ques. Like the cold status will show up in inv eventually, but if your observant you can see it happening and stay on top of it :)

I like these and have mentioned about removing the status messages or at least the option to and go with audible cues.

That's cool about the limping finally arriving. Hope they do one for the arm aswell. And yeah defo overheating should dehydrate quicker :)

I agree, and in a way the status messages deliver the info in the fastest way....dosent take long to realise your hungry IRL. But they are just so intrusive, I mean they get rid of global chat...then spam me with messages every few mins/seconds lol. 

I would be happy if they left the statuses in the inv screen and ditched the messages. But some things would need a bit of explination, that's where they could use audio and visual ques. Like the cold status will show up in inv eventually, but if your observant you can see it happening and stay on top of it :)

That's cool about the limping finally arriving. Hope they do one for the arm aswell. And yeah defo overheating should dehydrate quicker :)

I agree, a small separate region in the inventory screen with such statuses would be a nice solution. When one gets really cold the char. could shiver, but stuff like this should be an addition to the status, not the primary mechanic.

With a new inventory UI coming up, we might get what we want :)

If you guys play in 1pp a lot then you would realize that the char does shake when he's cold. I think its a great mechanic because it couples nicely with the HUGE AMOUNT OF "I AM PROMPTLY COOLING OFF" EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A DOWN COAT ON.

Fractures -

If leg...limp

I agree with limping if you have a leg injury...but...

I do not agree with loosing arm use when injured.

If DayZ can track multiple injuries on an area, I can see disabling the arm after two or three injuries to the arm, but a single injury would make using the arm slow and painful (with grunts of pain and further blood loss or chance to start bleeding).

To add to this, once the devs add limping, I would think that getting injured in both legs would make you fall prone (not sure if that is a thing now or not).

Weather -

I thought it did this already.

Cold -

I disagree on the foggy breath. It's not realistic. For instance, why would you get frosty breath when sitting in cold water?

Although the devs want to minimize the hud, they cannot get rid of it. They need something.

Personally, I think that they should add an overlay on the edges of the screen that go bluish when the character is getting cold and redish when getting hot. The worse the character gets, the larger the overlay gets. And that would be in addition to shaking and sounds associated with shaking or being cold.

Hot -

Having clothes becoming damp after being hot for some time would make sense, but in DayZ, I get the impression that the 'damp' condition cools the character off a little more than seating would represent...meh, who know.

Oh, and I am sure that they will add feinting when you are hyperthermic or hypothermic. I am actually surprised they did not add it in when they first added the mechanics.

Hunger -

The grumbles are an ok idea as long as they are more audible to the player than other players, although extreme hunger could lead to some pretty loud tummy grumbles that other people can hear.  :)

Passing out from hunger already exists since starvation leads to blood loss in the game, and blood loss eventually leads to unconsciousness.

Thirst -

There really aren't many options for thirst...Maybe gulping...maybe...

And I don't actually know what happens in DayZ when you become too dehydrated. I assume that you already pass out...maybe not?

Again, some aspects of the characters condition need to be provided to the player in some sort of gui. While I applaud the devs goal of making DayZ as GUI-less a system as possible, I would rather have a visual symbol that tells me how the character feels instead of flimsy mechanics that ineffectually convey the same information.

• Like 1

If you guys play in 1pp a lot then you would realize that the char does shake when he's cold. I think its a great mechanic because it couples nicely with the HUGE AMOUNT OF "I AM PROMPTLY COOLING OFF" EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A DOWN COAT ON.

I solely play on HC servers, I think there's very noticable shaking, but don't see it often, guess I'm not cold often...

Dehydration leads to overheating or under cooling and eventually to hallucinations.

Hallucinations could be easily done by a motion blur that increases with even higher levels of dehydration.

Overheating decreased sprint time, increases breathing which in turn increases dehydration.

Under cooling reduces running, turning and sprint speed, increases shivering, increases food consumption.

I think a normally clothed and well fed and hydrated player should be less affected by external temperature changes. On the other hand malnourished players would have more problems with cold nights and warm summer days. The current implementations need more tuning to become predictable, understandable and closer to reality.

• Like 1