Sign in to follow this  
papajo

Adding cold weather/winter

Cold weather will be a good solution for fully geared people (jackets gloves balaclavas etc) not to be hot all the time and get their hydration status drained all time also encourages the new spans even more to search for warm clothing that is usually ignored as far as I can see because they like either to get full camo or try cool looking things like cowboy hats etc.

Winder would change a little the traffic in the game... you cant walk great distances (especially in hill and mountain areas) even if you have warm clothes so either you need to go back to the city or start a camp fire and rest a little till you continue this will discourage people to travel far to helicopter sights and far away military camps etc and centralize to the big towns were more zombies can be found and bandits making things more spicy :P 

Edited by papajo

Cold conditions are already implemented and have been Experimented for some time now.

This is why we have thermometers/heat packs and the ability to warm next to fires.

Depends on server time/date settings.

• Like 4

Really? I've never encountered any dangerous temperatures or weather.

When it's cold. Just jogging will warm you up to safe+ levels.

When it's hot... doesn't happen.

I've never seen it cold + rain. And afaik, wind doesn't actually exist. I've never heard it or seen evidence of it's effects.

I've never used a fire or any means of generating heat... ever.

I've never gone above "Hot". I've never gone below "Cold".

DayZ is environmentally safe. The only time you'd ever risk hypothermia is from idiocy. Such as running through a river or the ocean, then standing still for 30 mins. I don't even know how you'd get Hyperthermia. Excessive sprinting, i'd guess.

• Like 1

Really? I've never encountered any dangerous temperatures or weather.

When it's cold. Just jogging will warm you up to safe+ levels.

When it's hot... doesn't happen.

I've never seen it cold + rain. And afaik, wind doesn't actually exist. I've never heard it or seen evidence of it's effects.

I've never used a fire or any means of generating heat... ever.

I've never gone above "Hot". I've never gone below "Cold".

DayZ is environmentally safe. The only time you'd ever risk hypothermia is from idiocy. Such as running through a river or the ocean, then standing still for 30 mins. I don't even know how you'd get Hyperthermia. Excessive sprinting, i'd guess.

You clearly haven't been playing Experimental.

• Like 2

I don't even know how you'd get Hyperthermia. Excessive sprinting, i'd guess.

Warm clothing + sprinting < 5 min

Cold conditions are already implemented and have been Experimented for some time now.

This is why we have thermometers/heat packs and the ability to warm next to fires.

Depends on server time/date settings.

Well as mentioned above by others none of the effects are apparent. the only times I managed to get cold is when by wearing nothing protective as a new spawn I managed to get wet but I supposed I just got cold because of that since changing to a new T-shirt etc and running a little brings my status to normal... (actually I usually find my self regularly being hot even in open terrain while jogging/walking during rain with gear on during rainy days) 

And I also don't think it should be date based.... because ok making it 100% real life would be boring like having 3 months 24/7 summer time and 3 months 24/7 heavy winter etc.... (as it usually works in many places on earth) 

It should more be like a random event taking place for some days,weeks tops not for months continuously. 

P.S ok I am not an all time vet or something but in the entire time I played this games and mostly I search for loot and do less PVP... I found only once a thermometer and that was for body temperature. 

Edited by papajo

I want a dedicated "nearly always cold, usually snowy" region somewhere up north, with wolves, bears maybe, log cabins, one castle, low zombie spawn rates and very thick forest

Would be comfy as hell hunkering down to survive in caves or cabins, far away from the majority of coastal players, fighting off the occasional wild animal and lighting fires or running engines to keep yourself warm. Melting snow to drink. Cutting wood for fires. Being able to track intruders in the snow. Rugging up with furs/parkas. That sort of thing.

EDIT: although I realise it's easy to say this sort of thing without thinking about the work it would take to implement BUT it would be really cool
pardon the pun

Edited by bobotype3334