Sign in to follow this  
papajo

Infected animals

I was playing dayz when I heard someone saying "first time I see a zombie attacking a cow" and that brought me to the though why not turning the animals into blood seeking zombies if they got first attacked by a zombie (and thus infected) and add some scary textures to them like shining red or deep yellow(with a little orange) eyes skin falling off etc :P and some horrible monstrous sounds imaging a zombie cow with horns and shit moaning as loud as a cow but with a little zombie on its voice and running towards you at night in a forest :P

they should need more ammo to put down (if not shot in the head) compared to regular zombies too :P 

Also dogs and wolves (that attack humans and zombies but if they loose the battle against a zombie they become zombies as well) the more time they stay alive as undead creature the more decadent their corps gets >:P 

The disease might not be transmissible across species, current guess is that it's airborne since 100% of the non immune population is infected (forget the exact numbers but its something like 95% of the population is infected, 60% of that died outright and the remaining 5% is immune to the virus).  Also, 'zombies' aren't dead, merely infected.

• Like 1

The disease might not be transmissible across species, current guess is that it's airborne since 100% of the non immune population is infected (forget the exact numbers but its something like 95% of the population is infected, 60% of that died outright and the remaining 5% is immune to the virus).  Also, 'zombies' aren't dead, merely infected.

ok infected animals now better? :)

And also an airborne spreading disease does not mean that it cant be transferred in other ways it just means that its most effective way of transmitting it is airborne for example if I have a simple flue and transfuse a small portion of my blood to you you will get also flue in the same logic zombie hits cruerly the animal zombie gets open wounds during the process animal gets open wounds during the process blood of zombie gets mixed with blood of animal profit...

lets not nerd this out with over sophistication its a game after all... I mean I get all this concept with realism but lets not make every debate sound like two starwars nerds calculating the amount of fuel needed for the X spaceship to travel the X distance given the fact that it has positronic superflux omega zero engine etc....

Realistic feeling is ok but dont just stop any idea by adding hyper realistic scientific determinism as an argument because using that logic DayZ would never happen in the first place it does not even have 1 in a quadrillion chance to happen in our world (real life) 

Or more simple small  things (already implemented in the game) if you brake for example a leg no morphine shit gonna make you able to run the very next second you use it and all the time/days after it like you didnt break nothing...  and I can go on and on with things that cant possibly happen in real life but happen in game right now.... so dont be so much attached to real life data and scientific determination..this isnt the way to go imho. 

Edited by papajo

My point was that infected animals would probably only be more aggressive, they wouldn't have their skin falling off like a classic zombie, assuming they can get the disease at all.  And the 'zombie' virus is very possible, but it'd be more 28 days later or DayZ like than Walking Dead or Resident Evil.  It's been theorized that something like rabies with the 'right' mutations could very well become the zombie virus.

I still don't know why they went with morphine again for fixing broken legs, would have thought they'd gone with splinting solely or splinting to regain use of the limb and morphine to reduce the pain from that so you could fully use the limb.

They may very well add 'zombie' animals, but more than likely an animal attacked by a zombie would be killed before it was infected unless it was something like a Wolf that ambushed a zombie.

My point was that infected animals would probably only be more aggressive, they wouldn't have their skin falling off like a classic zombie, assuming they can get the disease at all.  And the 'zombie' virus is very possible, but it'd be more 28 days later or DayZ like than Walking Dead or Resident Evil.  It's been theorized that something like rabies with the 'right' mutations could very well become the zombie virus.

I still don't know why they went with morphine again for fixing broken legs, would have thought they'd gone with splinting solely or splinting to regain use of the limb and morphine to reduce the pain from that so you could fully use the limb.

They may very well add 'zombie' animals, but more than likely an animal attacked by a zombie would be killed before it was infected unless it was something like a Wolf that ambushed a zombie.

My brother is a Ph.D in medicine and his friend a Ph.D in biology when I asked them about this they both assured me that nothing close to that could have happened realistically speaking. so yea.... theories are everywhere there is a theory that we are governed by the illuminati doesnt mean that we are. 

And even a splinter doesnt allow a broken leg to be able to run.... you need months of rest for such a thing to happen.

Edited by papajo

The background of the outbreak seems to be a prion desease ( not a virus) 

Prion diseases are associated with the build up in the brain (and some other organs) of an abnormal or ‘rogue’ form of a naturally occurring cellular protein, known as the prion protein. The rogue protein results from a change in shape of the normal prion protein.  Once formed in the body these rogue proteins recruit and convert more of the normal prion protein into the abnormal form, setting off a kind of chain reaction which leads to a progressive accumulation of the rogue protein.  In the normal course of events, once they have served their purpose, prion proteins are broken down by enzymes in the body.  The abnormal prions however are more resistant to this process; so they accumulate and cause damage in the brain, which interferes with normal brain functioning.  All forms of the disease are thought to be associated with an incubation period.  This is a clinically 'silent phase' during which replication of the rogue protein is thought to be taking place.
The function of the normal form of the protein remains unclear, though it is thought they may possibly play a role in the transport of messages between specific brain cells (synaptic transmission).

DEAN HALL PRESENTS

A USECFORCE PRODUCTION

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic
The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function
Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge
86% of the worlds population die
Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. 
Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, 
driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected
Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly
You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

THIS IS YOUR STORY

So yes animals could be affected...maybe most of the farm animals have also died or have been killed...maybe some animals would show rage symtoms like our zeds... :)

• Like 1

The background of the outbreak seems to be a prion desease ( not a virus) 

Prion diseases are associated with the build up in the brain (and some other organs) of an abnormal or ‘rogue’ form of a naturally occurring cellular protein, known as the prion protein. The rogue protein results from a change in shape of the normal prion protein.  Once formed in the body these rogue proteins recruit and convert more of the normal prion protein into the abnormal form, setting off a kind of chain reaction which leads to a progressive accumulation of the rogue protein.  In the normal course of events, once they have served their purpose, prion proteins are broken down by enzymes in the body.  The abnormal prions however are more resistant to this process; so they accumulate and cause damage in the brain, which interferes with normal brain functioning.  All forms of the disease are thought to be associated with an incubation period.  This is a clinically 'silent phase' during which replication of the rogue protein is thought to be taking place.
The function of the normal form of the protein remains unclear, though it is thought they may possibly play a role in the transport of messages between specific brain cells (synaptic transmission).

DEAN HALL PRESENTS

A USECFORCE PRODUCTION

On 12 March 2013, a prion disease and spreads among the worlds population triggering a global pandemic
The disease causes proteins in the brain to be replaced with prions ceasing regular function
Most people progress to dementia and then death as the brain is replaced with ineffective sludge
86% of the worlds population die
Some survive with the disease in a chronic state. 
Lacking regular brain function, they are scarely human. They are unable to communicate, 
driven by insatiable desire for violence, and attracted to the scent of those uninfected
Society crumbles as the pandemic spreads rapidly
You are one of the 2% who are not infected yet

THIS IS YOUR STORY

So yes animals could be affected...maybe most of the farm animals have also died or have been killed...maybe some animals would show rage symtoms like our zeds... :)

This prion disease though is caused by some virus, as otherwise im not sure how could it be infective...

Well, if we reject viral infection hypothesis, how does the prion disease spread among (civilized) people then? :)

Prions can be transmitted by eating contaminated food , getting contaminated blood transfusions, probably smear infections and as it seems even airborne 

In our case we are of course speaking about a fictive, mutated version (highly contageous, short incubation period)

Now take a look at the symptoms of prion deseases ( like CJD), add excessive violent and aggressive behaviour and you are nearly there  B)

The first symptom of CJD is rapidly progressive dementia, leading to memory loss, personality changes and hallucinations. Other frequently occurring features include anxiety, depression, paranoia, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, and psychosis.[10] This is accompanied by physical problems such as speech impairment, jerky movements (myoclonus), balance and coordination dysfunction (ataxia), changes in gait, rigid posture, and seizures. The duration of the disease varies greatly, but sporadic (non-inherited) CJD can be fatal within months or even weeks.[citation needed] In some people, the symptoms can continue for years. In most patients, these symptoms are followed by involuntary movements and the appearance of an atypical diagnostic electroencephalogram tracing. Most victims die six months after initial symptoms appear, often of pneumonia due to impaired coughing reflexes. About 15% of patients survive for two or more years.[11] Some patients have been known to live 4–5 years with mostly psychological symptoms until the disease progresses causing more physical symptoms leading to a diagnosis and inevitable death usually within the first year of diagnosis.

[facepalm] could you guys please understand that it is a game and that there is a difference between wanting a game to have a realistic feeling and trying to match the every single property of the game 1-1 with the real world? the second CAN NOT HAPPEN!!!

And to blow your infected prion disease what so ever...

If they are not zombies and are just infected that means their circulatory system works... that means that they need to breath,eat,hydrate and need to sleep also they need to find shelter to be warm and not freeze otherwise they die.

Thats why its called a GAME.. you just look on the other side of some real life restriction and fact only to have fun and enjoy the game.

Oh ok sorry no more intellectually stimulating discussions ....we need more topics about guns and vehicles...I can see that

• Like 2

Prions can be transmitted by eating contaminated food , getting contaminated blood transfusions, probably smear infections and as it seems even airborne 

In our case we are of course speaking about a fictive, mutated version (highly contageous, short incubation period)

Now take a look at the symptoms of prion deseases ( like CJD), add excessive violent and aggressive behaviour and you are nearly there  B)

The first symptom of CJD is rapidly progressive dementia, leading to memory loss, personality changes and hallucinations. Other frequently occurring features include anxiety, depression, paranoia, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, and psychosis.[10] This is accompanied by physical problems such as speech impairment, jerky movements (myoclonus), balance and coordination dysfunction (ataxia), changes in gait, rigid posture, and seizures. The duration of the disease varies greatly, but sporadic (non-inherited) CJD can be fatal within months or even weeks.[citation needed] In some people, the symptoms can continue for years. In most patients, these symptoms are followed by involuntary movements and the appearance of an atypical diagnostic electroencephalogram tracing. Most victims die six months after initial symptoms appear, often of pneumonia due to impaired coughing reflexes. About 15% of patients survive for two or more years.[11] Some patients have been known to live 4–5 years with mostly psychological symptoms until the disease progresses causing more physical symptoms leading to a diagnosis and inevitable death usually within the first year of diagnosis.

I understand what this prion disease is supposed to be, i just don't know how could it be contagious because you know, prions don't have legs or wings or whatever :)

Maybe body fluids are involved? (e.g. sneezing, perspiration etc.)

If they are not zombies and are just infected that means their circulatory system works... that means that they need to breath,eat,hydrate and need to sleep also they need to find shelter to be warm and not freeze otherwise they die.

If i remember correctly, zombie lifecycle including degradation due to starvation (resulting in possible death if not fed) was mentioned in development plan.

• Like 1

Oh ok sorry no more intellectually stimulating discussions ....we need more topics about guns and vehicles...I can see that

I didnt mean that with my prior post... what I am trying to say is not to use real life facts (such as studies and other facts) as an argument to whenever a suggested idea should be implemented in the game.

Since if we choose that path of reasoning nothing in the game can stand up and we should have nothing (no morphine injections for broken legs since in real life you couldn't possibly walk if you were administered with morphine... especially run like nothing happened... morphine helps just to feel less pain) 

People should be immediately be immobilized if not dead when they take a shot to the chest area or general the torso... 

There should be no infected at all.. (and even if we could somehow reason with the possibility of such an infection to occur their lifespan should be minimal and the whole infection problem presented in dayz should be easy to contain thus we wouldn't even reach a DayZero) etc.

So yes if you like to discuss matters in a more philosophical manner I have nothing against it... what really grinds my gears are arguments like "nope we cant have zombie/infected animals because the infection is airborne" etc... that really sounds retarded to me.. I would rather prefer something in the line "nope I dont like zombie animals in the game" without even having an argument about why you dont prefer them rather to try having poser like arguments about the medical viability of the suggestion especially if the people presenting those arguments are far from being licensed doctors or what ever...  and even if they were licensed doctors etc I again wouldnt care about their medical conclusion because as I said above its a game... it isnt and cant be real life accurate because in real life nothing of what happens ingame is possible! Thus we should just rather focus on if we like an idea or not according to our taste in how we would like the game play to be.... thats all.