Sign in to follow this  
pabloottawa

After many hours of playing I've realized one thing....

I sure as hell hope the kid wouldn't pick up a cyclic-fire-capable firearm in real life. Especially considering how they are illegal to own without a special (and expensive) license in the US.

That aside, this is more of a problem with Day Z than it is with the playerbase. Right now, with the exception of a few-days-old .50 patch, literally the only thing you could do in-game was participate in PvP. There was no farming, less-than-bare-bones foraging, and less-than-bare-bones hunting. As such, killing is all the playerbase knows.

In a few patches, take away the utterly ridiculous firearm spawns. Give us something other to do than kill each other (as well as making that option more difficult), and the players will probably do it. Give us options, and those options will be chosen. Railroad us down a single path, and you don't get the right to complain when people follow that path, capisce?

Or, you know, players will server-hop for guns and ammo. But that is a whole 'nother bugbear to deal with.

I've been saying that for quite a while but few people have listened. You're right and it shows, even after we gave people the "be a medic" option as well as the "here is a gun, you can kill people with it" two large Medic clans spawned to help people survive.

I don't even want to be killing fresh spawns, I want to be playing the role of some dude who hated all his Chernarus neighbours and was elated to wake up in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. I would like to play golf in the main street, let off mortars, chainsaw through zombies and do wicked gnarly V3S jumps off implausible terrain, or take one of my friends and build a cabin in the snow and live off the land while killing wolves and bears, not shoot other players.

Firearm spawns are actually okay. The problem is guns are only really good for one thing now still, killing players because you don't need them for zombies. Fighting zombies with melee weapons isn't risky enough, and zombies don't give you a reward for killing them, so you just keep your ammunition to protect yourself from other bored, paranoid players with guns.

The solution, thus, is zombies need to drop loot [and military zombies need to carry and drop most of the ammo], melee combat needs to put you at risk of being crash tackled by zombies and given a disease from being bitten/scratched, and as you said, we need more options other than killing each other to do in the game.

I get a little swell of pride that dayz hasn't broken me yet haha. I still almost always try to make contact, and yes.....I get shot a LOT. Its when ya start to knw the map inside and out and realise gear comes and oes hat you can really just let go of those vices and try interaction every time. Sure I get that few seconds of rage...."A-hole.....really?....I was in a f'kin wave gesture with my weps slung you pice of...." yeah but that passes within 10 seconds and 20 more back on the beach doing exactly what you were before.

Now that tents are in its even better, stash some basics, maybe leave your best gun at camp and take a crappy one to go meet people. Only take your mosin for when you after revenge haha. When vehicles come will get better again, chances of lifts from friendlys, hijacking if you play that way. Death will become less and less of a hassle.

I say keep fighting the good fight, keep trying. It will fail 8/10 times but those 2 when it goes well are worth it. Might even make friends that you play with for years to come like I did on the mod :)

i am the same way, just the other day my clan members wanted to kill these players at NWAF, i said lets make contact first, try to become friends or tell them to fuck off. nope, didnt have it, but i guess that was all well, they ended up firing on us without any contact at all...... and died for their poor choice of going up 6v2 ;D

but as a lone wolf i will tell someone im friendly and ask if they need help. if they dont respond after one or two attempts, i shoot them in the head because i know they'll just do the same to me. ive been killed so many times, but have also made a few friends along the way

I like to DIE, it gives me a chance to find good loot all over again. I just wish the backpacks where a lot more RARE. Got to get a boar with an ax. 

I counciously only play with the impro.messenger back. lately i insert a smersh backpack for 2 medkits...ret is ammo. If iam lucky a vest but thats it.

I like to limit it a bit.

oh and ofc my copy of:

auf.jpg

I get a little swell of pride that dayz hasn't broken me yet haha. I still almost always try to make contact, and yes.....I get shot a LOT. Its when ya start to knw the map inside and out and realise gear comes and oes hat you can really just let go of those vices and try interaction every time. Sure I get that few seconds of rage...."A-hole.....really?....I was in a f'kin wave gesture with my weps slung you pice of...." yeah but that passes within 10 seconds and 20 more back on the beach doing exactly what you were before.

This is why I play Experimental (with it's frequent wipes) exclusively. Until I find a good private shard I don't want to care about my gear.

This game turns players into animals... Players stalk and kill each other.

Even animals kill for a purpose .. We just do it for fun lol

Friendlies exist. I'd say it's a 50/50 split, but unfortunately a great number of the playerbase think being nice is unconditional and will put themselves in situations were someone has dominance or feels threatened or cornered. Then come here and bitch about it.

However, there are a great number of assholes on this forum and game. I call them for what they are, sadistic sociopathic assholes that have finally found an outlet for their sheltered insanity. Then there are people who just want PVP, and the distinction is rather clear. I'd say this community is a diverse group, but you can't just put blind trust in someone and give them the opportunity to strike you down. Naivety is what kills so many people, and they are corrupted into bandits themselves through frustration.

It's a vicious cycle, but you don't have to be a dick to survive.

• Like 2

Indeed! The RRF and TMW are great groups of people. I've had interactions (and gotten help) from both groups at some point or another, and they are astoundingly professional about what they do!

That said, other than special groups like that, I do believe it is true that this game will crush anyone's spirit eventually. I'm still foolishly nice at times, but generally speaking I either avoid people or kill them. Six months ago I would not have said that, and that saddens me the tiniest bit.

If anything, the Standalone made me more forthcoming towards strangers, and i had only positive experiences. Of course i got shot once or twice, but, well, stuff happens, right? most of the times i had a great time and laughs

You die in DayZ, you die in real life. But for real, this game changes people, online and offline.

well, when the real zombie apocalypse hits (not if, WHEN ;) )

i am not gonna be as blue eyed as i would have been before playing DayZ and way more cautious

and of course dead after a few hours/minutes because i am terrible at running for long distances

• Like 1

Go play Call of Duty bro, right up your alley. All sorts of guns!

Right back atcha.

I have zero problems shooting you in dayz, game is fine the way it is.  I stay.  Deal with it.