Sign in to follow this  
kll4

Stop DayZ from turning into a Twitch shooter

No backpack, but I had full winter clothes and boots. Ran for 20 minutes in deep snow in the middle of nowhere cause the fkers dared me to run there without a snowmobile. Totally worth it; shooting AK is fun.

So it's not something people could consistently do when they're starving or don't have much food/water doing that many times a day or for much longer would be debilitating.

I think the main problem with walking and jogging is that if you walk especially you'll starve before getting to the next town, the hunger system needs some tweaking for sure 4 cans of beans shouldn't last you an hour that's a fairly huge meal. When that's fixed a nerf to run speeds and stamina will be fine, it might be a less exciting game to play but the people who play it like a twitch shooter would leave because it's not CoD any more and thus part of the problem would be destroyed.

So it's not something people could consistently do when they're starving or don't have much food/water doing that many times a day or for much longer would be debilitating.

I think the main problem with walking and jogging is that if you walk especially you'll starve before getting to the next town, the hunger system needs some tweaking for sure 4 cans of beans shouldn't last you an hour that's a fairly huge meal. When that's fixed a nerf to run speeds and stamina will be fine, it might be a less exciting game to play but the people who play it like a twitch shooter would leave because it's not CoD any more and thus part of the problem would be destroyed.

The food thing is a realism issue, if we want to talk realism then starving basically shouldn't even exist in the game, it takes days without eating to begin starving so long as you have water. It should take at least a week of constant play to die of starvation. Is anyone willing to commit to absolute realism? People will complain about the speed at which we run not being realistic but they don't mind at all that fruit randomly appears in abandoned houses and this place seems to never run out of food, guns, or ammo. If you want realism then we can have realism, the animals will be hunted to extinction in the area, the zombies will die off within a couple of weeks, and when you go to sleep your character actually stays in game and can be killed at any time.

I'm all in favour of a weight system. As a hiker and mountain climber myself I love the challenge of choosing between ability versus mobility.

About play styles, and twitch shooters, I favour strategic approaches for this game, though it should not be forced by clumsy and lagging controls.

The game should promote creativity and experimentation.

Repetitiveness becomes boring quickly.

I think part of the 'no twitch shooter' argument revolves around the type of audience the game attracts. I would like the advantage to go to the thinking creative players, rather then the dummies who can have only influence by destroying, which even babies can do.

I trust Dean Hall to make it interesting, deep and original, though he needs a sidekick to avoid going overboard with details that do not add strategic depth to the game, helping Dean with the priorities.

On the realism thing,

I think it would be a fun experiment to have a realism mode, where extinction and extermination can happen. To make it playable the administrator can speed up the time to say 1 game hour is 1 day.

To be true to realism, if you have eaten nothing, you'll find that speed, balance, concentration, recovery, memory, mind are greatly affected. Thinking, running, aiming are much harder. The food is important to keep warm, so you can aim steady. I think that difficulty thinking can be simulated by a subtle motion blur, less contrast, more vignetting, less view distance, lesser hearing. Those things impair the players observations and will retard and slow their decisions, just like a lack of food would.

Actually I think it may be a good idea to have two modes, the casual and the realism mode, where in casual you have 3rd person view, and a bit less weapon vulnerability and some other things that make the game accessible and a good learning the ropes mode for people new to the woods of Chernarus. Casual is for those that want a quick game, perhaps with a restricted map, so it works for 15 - 30 player counts, enjoying 1 to 4 hour session, an evening playing after returning from work. Maybe it could be a bug out scenario, where a player can have a self chosen backpack with gear (weight considerations!) and see if he can survive for x amount of days (game hours), and compare his ranking to the other server players.

In the realism mode players have only 1st person view, and maybe some other realism adjustments. However they aim to have a long sustained life and become the longest surviving player on the global, public ranking. To make this more challenging this ranking number and name should be seen in game, when a player is very close to another. A binocular or scope could be used to identify players from longer distances, perhaps 100-200m. This identification makes being a long time survivor fun, honourable and increasingly more challenging. Bandits should have a red ranking number, for they've chosen the 'dark side' ;) With a scope, range finder or binoculars and close up identification, people can more easily judge and decide to evade, meet, cooperate, attack players based on their global survival / bandit ranking. While this is not entirely realistic, a visible in game name and ranking will add a long play motivation and challenge that is so lacking at this moment.  - What is more challenging, being the worst bandit, or being the best survivalist?

Scenarios / events.

An administrator selected and timed events would add a lot of variation, just like in sim city. Maybe a scenario like this: day 1 zombie hordes, on day 2 a military invasion (Zeus tech), and on day 3 a nuclear attack, to just to name A scenario. The administrator should be able to chose, configure and combine his own game scenarios, so players never are sure what disasters will land on the shores of Chernarus. This added variation would greatly help the game Just like scenarios helps the Shack tac community to enjoy and grow. I'm sure you can think of a list of fun and challenging scenarios to spice up Chernarus.

Sorry for the long post, I felt inspired :)

Edited by Troll_Hunter

The food thing is a realism issue, if we want to talk realism then starving basically shouldn't even exist in the game, it takes days without eating to begin starving so long as you have water. It should take at least a week of constant play to die of starvation. Is anyone willing to commit to absolute realism? People will complain about the speed at which we run not being realistic but they don't mind at all that fruit randomly appears in abandoned houses and this place seems to never run out of food, guns, or ammo. If you want realism then we can have realism, the animals will be hunted to extinction in the area, the zombies will die off within a couple of weeks, and when you go to sleep your character actually stays in game and can be killed at any time.

True but there's no reason it won't be more realistic soon they're not done tweaking it plus days in the game are going to be shorter so a week in the game will probably be like 20 hours or something.

Realistically you starve after a week or so but after days without food you'd hardly be that functional, not enough to run around shooting people and carrying heavy gear so I don't think it'd matter if they made food last longer but also lower the amount of it that there is.

There's no reason why one feature being realistic has to mean every feature needs to be.

There are some things that definitely need to be more realistic.

Edited by UltimateGentleman

Food and thirst is tied to distance traveled not time.

So stamina and weight will not affect that

Food and thirst is tied to distance traveled not time.

So stamina and weight will not affect that

Why not? Lack of stamina and excess weight is going to tire you out quicker and make you use all your energy it would be impossible to go for a 20k run when you hadn't eaten in 3 days and had only enough water to not die. It would be some kind of miraculous event anyway or something you'd have to train to do.

A 20k walk without the heavy gear maybe.

@topic "I want to be able to run at 30 miles an hour so I can play with my friends!" is quite a hilarious excuse people use it's not some co-op game meet up with your friends somewhere nobody would just run for miles to meet up. Without a phone or any means of communication you wouldn't even know where your friends are so count yourself lucky you at least get that option and don't have to rely on chance meetings.