billymckendrick

Morphine Addiction

I am not a morphine addict myself nor do I have advanced knowledge of morphine.

In my English lesson today we read To Kill a Mockingbird. Mrs Dubose is a morphine addict. She suffers severe pain as she endures longer off morphine every day.

In dayz morphine should have some kind of side effect. I say this because people go into a gunfight, break their legs, take morphine (or a splint) and walk away like nothing happened. If you use morphine you should want morphine. You start to become addicted. Your character slows down until they get morphine. This will make the game harder to survive. People would kill for morphine. People won't kill in the first place in the risk of becoming addicted to morphine when healing. It makes people think more about their actions.

Many people will think "why not use a splint instead?" Well splints should be temporary. If your leg is broken and you use a splint you do the new limp animation until you find morphine or after a certain amount of time and rest the leg heals.

Edited by billymckendrick
  • Like 3

yeah, but also the epipen aswell. other than that, beans for you.

Ive been on morphine for many years, because my back is completely broken.
It takes time to build up an addiction, depending on the strenght of the morphine ofc, but its not like heroin, where you have a chance of becoming an addict after 1 or 2 tries.

I like the idea, but i dont know how easy it would be to implement, as you would have to use morphin several times, for many people MANY times, before you have a serious addiction problem.

I also want to add, that i stopped taking it, from day to day, after a 5 year intake of the pills. I did not feel pain, i did not get serious withdrawals, no shakes, no exsessive sweating. I had a headache for about a week and was very low on energy, and then everything was back to normal.

Theres a huge difference, from person to person, how they react to morphine and how easy they become an addict.

If we where talking heroin, opium or something of that magnitude, or if you werent taking it because of pain, it would be very different.

Just for the record, i know morphine is an opiate, but opium in its pure form is much more addictive then morphine.

A quick quote from the wiki:

In the presence of pain and the other disorders for which morphine is indicated, a combination of psychological and physiological factors tend to prevent true addiction from developing, although physical dependence and tolerance will develop with protracted opioid therapy.

Edited by Byrgesen

I like the idea. Injected morphine is much different than the pills. I think they should add an advantage to using epi pin like faster sprint without overheating with the cost of possible addiction. For morphine you could maybe heal instant and be able to take double damage for certain time with same chance of addiction. Then once addicted you could take away sprint and make aim terrible when not on the drug. Make addiction a 5 percent chance rerolled every time you take drug or something you could base on rng.

I don't think so. I don't know the exact statistics but I'm pretty sure less than 10% of the people (I think it was less than 5, it was small) that took morphine in the Vietnam war became addicts.

Drugs aren't addictive like that. What I mean is most people who use drugs wont automatically want more drugs.

Plus I just don't think there should be any long term effects of taking drugs in game. If you wanted there to be downsides to taking drugs I would  say add immediate effects, good and/or bad. I don't know what bad effects there could be though, morphine could give reduced shock damage or something so you could use it before going into a fight, Epi pens could make you faster and/or give you more energy which could work well with the weight and fatigue system (Which I'm pretty sure is planned)

Edit: oh I forgot to say, to deal with instantly healing broken legs and stuff they should make the healing work in stages, like, if you broke your leg you could take morphine and be able to walk/move slowly while limping, but you couldn't run until you use a splint. Something like that.

Edited by Agentstapler

I don't think so. I don't know the exact statistics but I'm pretty sure less than 10% of the people (I think it was less than 5, it was small) that took morphine in the Vietnam war became addicts.

Drugs aren't addictive like that. What I mean is most people who use drugs wont automatically want more drugs.

Plus I just don't think there should be any long term effects of taking drugs in game. If you wanted there to be downsides to taking drugs I would  say add immediate effects, good and/or bad. I don't know what bad effects there could be though, morphine could give reduced shock damage or something so you could use it before going into a fight, Epi pens could make you faster and/or give you more energy which could work well with the weight and fatigue system (Which I'm pretty sure is planned)

Edit: oh I forgot to say, to deal with instantly healing broken legs and stuff they should make the healing work in stages, like, if you broke your leg you could take morphine and be able to walk/move slowly while limping, but you couldn't run until you use a splint. Something like that.

It was heroin, not morphine. That proves your point even more.