Butifnot

I'm old and I suck at it so I play on empty servers.

I enjoy the game very much and am content to fight zombies and explore. I only feel truly safe (well, except for the zombies) when I am the only person on a server. For some reason it's hard to log on to an empty server and so I have to settle for one with a couple or so people on it. I have been on servers with only one other guy and damned if I dont bump into him. Anyway, I love the game.

• Like 19

I was like that in the beginning  too. i loved exploring and just avoiding people on low servers. Sooner or later it got a bit vexing and i started looking for people. If you want to be truly safe you could always join a private server. I feel those servers are more personal. So finding and having negative encounters with other players might be less or even non existent that on public ones

• Like 2

I was the same way when i started playing but then I got to a certain point where I wanted to make contact with other people whether it went well or not, eventually just playing against zombies will become more and more boring and you will want to mix it up by playing of servers with more people on it.

• Like 1

I usually play on servers with 10 or less people myself.

I find low pop servers have more friendly players in general.

I don't really avoid the high traffic areas anymore but I certainly don't visit Berezino like I used to.

It comes to a point where you explored it all, and zombies can be easy if you strafe enough even with the fucked up melee animations we have now, so there isn't much left to do if not try your luck and interact with other people. I also suck, aways loose in fair fights so I gotta ambush, camp etc to compensate my lack of skills with firearms lol. You say you only feel safe with 0 players, but it isnt a true apocaliptic experience if you feel safe imo. I like that feeling that death is right on the corner, kills the boredoom.

Games like this can get boring i belive, pvp interactions are great to avoid the boredoom

When i first played i would go on full servers. Interacting with others is fun as every encounter is unique. The guys at work love to hear my stories of how some butt hole chased my with an axe or how some fart knocker blew a hole in my face with his Mosin. Once While I was squatting down to get a drink of water from a pump some shithead walked up and punched me in the head so I killed him with my axe. I have a million stories like you guys all do.... Yeah, I still go on the full servers when I am a freshie. I feel a lot safer around others when I have nothing.

I enjoy the game very much and am content to fight zombies and explore. I only feel truly safe (well, except for the zombies) when I am the only person on a server. For some reason it's hard to log on to an empty server and so I have to settle for one with a couple or so people on it. I have been on servers with only one other guy and damned if I dont bump into him. Anyway, I love the game.

I suck too man..its okey, the other day I was hidden in a bush scouting with binoculars over a large field thinking "I dont wanna die now so im taking precautions"...suddenly a player is like 20 meter from me...I almost panic, draw my compass instead of the weapon...I then manage to draw the weapon and spray a full ak mag on the guy when hes about 10 meter away, thats 30 bullets...oh hes not dead, almost shaking I draw my compass again instead of changing the mag...in the end after 40 bullets or so the guy is dead and I had a mini heartattack

Player encounters are so rare for me that I will never get used to them ;)

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 2

I think thats true for most of the people who just started playing.The controls are not the best right now aiming a gun and shooting at a moving target( zombies ) is difficult to say the least.I'm not ready for any major encounters although I have run into a few new spawns and tried to help them as much as I could.Having someone else to run with I find really helps and I enjoy that part of it.It makes things a little more comfortable in the game.I dont really care about going to the military bases to find the best stuff,just finding something to open a can of food is like christmas to me.And like you all said this might change the more I play the game but for now i'm having fun.

Every single person in this thread is the kind of player I wish I could meet in the game lol.

• Like 7

I don't play on empty servers but I do have a hard time logging on by myself,  I usually only play with a buddy or 5, paranoia gets to me.

• Like 2

I'm so with you there OP. Military loot is for the birds my friend. Find me a light blue plaid shirt, camo ball cap, leather shoes, my starter jeans, grab a revolver or that sweet new pump action and I'm green light for survival mode.

But to the point, I started out on low pop of 20 and lower. I gotta say, I think you find more people willing to kill on low pops, because it's usually all server hoppers. That being said, it's good for just relaxing and playing it out as Jeremiah Johnson.

Just wondering though, as per your title, how old are you? Today was my 24th birthday.

Edited by IngloriouslyBad

I still prefer the loner lifestyle. Its so hard to read peoples intentions on this game so I spend more time trying to avoid them as much as possible. If they do sneak up on me and strike up conversation with their mic instead of their gun, I don't mind a quick chat. But if I hear gunshots I'm gonna Houdini my way in the other direction and hope I'm not being followed. If I come upon a new spawn, I'll usually spare a few cans of food and my canteen if I have extra. It makes me feel a little better about myself, and maybe it helps his thoughts toward being hostile toward everyone in the future.

• Like 1

And you know what! That's just fine.

I wish they had a compass and map system like the mod though...it can make aimless wandering a little less aimless and the best part is you can pat yourself on the back when you navigate to the precise location that you choose at random! (not joking, please add a proper compass/map, i'm so lonely)

Edited by Trizzo

Problem is, when you LOOK for people you only find hackers. How many of them are you can understand by googling popular forum (which is censored here, wow) and reading the stuff. I now found out a hacker through google and know his two steam accounts. Which I reported of course. If devs gave a shit, if would be easy to ban people by just browsing that forum, finding out their IP (through skype) and voila, another murican/english kid banned.

I don't mind people exploiting bugs, I do it myself and I like finding out new ones and then I report those bugs (most of the times). But I really feel sorry for those underage people who are so much abused at school and by their parents that the only way they can achieve happiness is by abusing other people with their hacks in game.

Edited by MaxRain

It's a good way to learn the game. When you get better you should be able to jump into more populated servers and play just fine.

All these pesky multiplayers games would be so much safer without the other players. 

Must be something in our DNA, us old farts dont go much on confrontation like the youth of today.

I'm 48 and an experienced gamer but I dislike the COD style some people play on DayZ. If I want hand to hand combat I fire up my ZX81 or VIC-20 and enjoy some 8-bit goodness.

I enjoy wandering the map alone, surviving and living off of the land, searching for the exclusive items, only eating fruit & veg. No tins, rice or cereal for me, dont even drink soda, just water.

When I do bump into people its generally a good experience. (apart from the last couple of days)

• Like 6

I'm an older player too and understand you perfectly. 

On populated servers not only items are very scarce, but you get killed by bandits and random bastards a lot.  So I scavenge enough gear on empty servers only.  And even afterwards, I don't have hours per day to dedicate to the game, so getting killed after spending a long time getting fully geared is not an option for me.  Therefore I, too, prefer to play on empty servers; exploring the map and dealing with zombies it's still a thrill. 

I look forward to join a server with like-minded individuals where we can collaborate and explore the world and the mechanics of the game without getting killed or sniped by the casual CoD nerd. 

If you people manage to run a private server, I'm in.   

• Like 2

Well gents I'm 55 and agree with you.

I will be starting another server (private), the one I have now is public and I'm still bound to it until the time runs out. And I have to convince the wife. ;) 

I don't want the edge taken out but I'm so sick of the kos mentality. If you're gonna kill me have the nutsack to talk to me first.

• Like 10

Just wondering though, as per your title, how old are you? Today was my 24th birthday.

I am 51 (137 in gamer years)

• Like 3

All these pesky multiplayers games would be so much safer without the other players.

;)

Well gents I'm 55 and agree with you.

I will be starting another server (private), the one I have now is public and I'm still bound to it until the time runs out. And I have to convince the wife. ;) 

I don't want the edge taken out but I'm so sick of the kos mentality. If you're gonna kill me have the nutsack to talk to me first.

You know I think you'll find a few people of the older generation willing to help spread the cost for a private server. I for one would be willing to help to have the opportunity to have an online DayZ OAP community where we would farm and kill Z's.

You ever get round to it, hit me up on PM.

• Like 2

Months ago I joined a server with only one other player.
What should I say.... I met him at the NEAF. Luckily no one got shot! ;)

I'm in my mid 30's and also enjoy playing on low pop servers. If I get bored after I get fully geared up I tend to head to a new spawn area, look for a new spawn and drop everything at their feet while I run away laughing maniacally. Then I have to start all over basically but it is at my discretion. 

• Like 3