saamohod

Machine guns in DayZ

MGs in DayZ  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do machine guns suit the environment and the spirit of DayZ?

• Yes, they completely belong here
    • No, there is no place for machine guns in the game
    • I can't provide a clear "Yes or No" answer, and I'll explain why

Lmg wasn't OP in mod, why would it be in SA? AKM with drum isn't OP. Nuff said

• Like 1

I'd love to see them as well; But i think we really need to get proper weight/stamina system first not this silly exaggerated perma sprint that we have now to make up for lack of vehicles. An LMG is made to be fired from a fixed/deployed position and IMHO this should be accurately portrayed in the sense that when prone or resting on a bipod LMG/HMG should significantly outperform full-auto spray from an AR in terms of disperson and recoil. The down side, would in increased exertion of your character carrying the heavy thing, slower Aim/look speed with it- and id really love to see weapons actualy have proper collision on the models causing them to clip on walls/doors/etc. this would make run-n-gun style with them very unwieldly and impracticle indoors.

• Like 1

...if the improve on weight and gun mechanics...

Im waiting to see what people do when they cant sprint forever anymore, where the heaviness of your gear makes you need to eat, drink, and rest more frequently!

• Like 2

Any gun in DayZ that fires in auto is already a machine gun.

Iirc there was something in the files about an RPD.

Wow..

If you truly think that just because a gun can fire full auto, that makes it a machine gun, you're an idiot. You clearly don't know what a machine gun is.

Let me try to put this in terms you might be able to understand.

Is the simpsons an Anime? Why not? They're both animated cartoons. Should I go around saying "any animated cartoon is already an anime"? That's pretty much what you're saying about machine guns. Something shoots full auto, therefore it's a machine gun, because machine guns shoot full auto.

"The simpsons is an anime, because it's a cartoon. Anime are cartoons, therefore the simpsons is an anime." See how fucking stupid that sounds?

(As an aside, the Simpsons is hell of a lot better than virtually every anime (Anime is horrible, but the fans are even worse; they like anime solely because it's anime. Not because it has good plots, story telling, voice acting, etc. Japan doesn't know shit about character development.)

Kids these days.

Edited by AnyMeansNecessary
  • Like 1

Would be great so long as they truly gave the ballistics and shooting mechanics a work around.

Remove the akm drum mag introduce a rpk74 and pkm

Why remove the AKM drum mag? Even if they add an RPK-74 it'd still only really be useful if they added a drum mag for it... which would also be compatible with the AK-74 and AKS-74U. I mean, yeah, 45 round magazines might be okay but you can still outclass it or equal it with the 60rnd coupled M4 mags or the 40rnd PMAGs.

Point being that any RPK type weapon system would be pointless given a proper stamina, weight, and ballistics system assuming they're limited to 45rnd mags and 30rnd mags, because they're basically just a heavier, bulkier and larger AKM/AK-74 that may be a bit more accurate and come with a bipod. ACE works with those types because of how battles are played out on a generally larger scale, but small scale warfare like DayZ is 90% of the time would mean that next to no one would ever want to pick up an RPK for more than looks.

Keep AKM drum mags and make them a rare, possibly helicopter crashsite spawn that can be used in both the AK system and RPK equivalent, while allowing 45 round mags to be the higher-end general military spawns. And of course to supplement add an RPD and PKM.

Wow..

If you truly think that just because a gun can fire full auto, that makes it a machine gun, you're an idiot. You clearly don't know what a machine gun is.

Let me try to put this in terms you might be able to understand.

Is the simpsons an Anime? Why not? They're both animated cartoons. Should I go around saying "any animated cartoon is already an anime"? That's pretty much what you're saying about machine guns. Something shoots full auto, therefore it's a machine gun, because machine guns shoot full auto.

"The simpsons is an anime, because it's a cartoon. Anime are cartoons, therefore the simpsons is an anime." See how fucking stupid that sounds?

(As an aside, the Simpsons is hell of a lot better than virtually every anime (Anime is horrible, but the fans are even worse; they like anime solely because it's anime. Not because it has good plots, story telling, voice acting, etc. Japan doesn't know shit about character development.)

Kids these days.

Well, actually, the true definition of a machine gun is any weapon that can fire rounds in quick succession, with select-fire capability. That means that submachine-guns and automatic/select-fire rifles also fall under the same category. Typically guns ala the AKM are classified as assault rifles because what machine guns are actually known as to people well versed with firearms are far different from automatic rifles. However, it isn't wrong to call ARs machine guns either.

That, and under most laws, machine guns are any weapons that are capable of select-fire.

And, of course, there's the fact that many people are not well-versed in firearms and it's far easier for people to identify guns as "machine guns" than it is to say "rifle capable of selective fire". It might sound dumb, but you have to learn not to give people flak when they aren't as into the topic as you are.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Why remove the AKM drum mag? Even if they add an RPK-74 it'd still only really be useful if they added a drum mag for it... which would also be compatible with the AK-74 and AKS-74U. I mean, yeah, 45 round magazines might be okay but you can still outclass it or equal it with the 60rnd coupled M4 mags or the 40rnd PMAGs.

Point being that any RPK type weapon system would be pointless given a proper stamina, weight, and ballistics system assuming they're limited to 45rnd mags and 30rnd mags, because they're basically just a heavier, bulkier and larger AKM/AK-74 that may be a bit more accurate and come with a bipod. ACE works with those types because of how battles are played out on a generally larger scale, but small scale warfare like DayZ is 90% of the time would mean that next to no one would ever want to pick up an RPK for more than looks.

Keep AKM drum mags and make them a rare, possibly helicopter crashsite spawn that can be used in both the AK system and RPK equivalent, while allowing 45 round mags to be the higher-end general military spawns. And of course to supplement add an RPD and PKM.

Well, actually, the true definition of a machine gun is any weapon that can fire rounds in quick succession, with select-fire capability. That means that submachine-guns and automatic/select-fire rifles also fall under the same category. Typically guns ala the AKM are classified as assault rifles because what machine guns are actually known as to people well versed with firearms are far different from automatic rifles. However, it isn't wrong to call ARs machine guns either.

That, and under most laws, machine guns are any weapons that are capable of select-fire.

And, of course, there's the fact that many people are not well-versed in firearms and it's far easier for people to identify guns as "machine guns" than it is to say "rifle capable of selective fire". It might sound dumb, but you have to learn not to give people flak when they aren't as into the topic as you are.

I would have said nothing if he didn't state it so matter-of-factly.

This whole effort to avoid giving us good sniper and machine guns is probably why people pay for hacking the living shit out of this game.  It's the only way to have fun until they give us more zombies, cars, and better guns.

I don't mean that it's a good reason to do it, no one should ever hack no matter what.  I just wonder if that's why so many people hack is because there is not enough fun things to do yet.

Anyways, yes, I am all for MORE heavy guns but they should be very rare to find in the game.

People hack because they suck at the game.  They get pissed off, thinking kids are ruining the game with PvP, and they buy the hax to go do exactly what they hate the most.  They think they are giving PvP and KOSers a taste of their own medicine.

Seriously, if you had run across as many hackers as I have, you would notice, most CAN'T HIT SHIT.  They are obviously not good AT ALL.

Edit- Joke is on them though, I have been killed by hackers so much I now chalk it up to dying by the games glitches.  I do not count it as a true death.  More like something that happens that gives me more to do, curing a little of the boredom.

Edited by harteman
  • Like 1

People already server hop to get the best possible load-out... I've run across players with MULTIPLE ammo boxes filled completely to the brim.  Ammo scarcity wouldn't stop people from having thousands of rounds on them and mowing down everything.  

That being said, I'd like to see a few, but they should definitely have some kind of downside to using them.  Like utterly ridiculous sway and recoil when not at least crouched or prone.  

Where is Katana57? He would have to say something about this? did he stop playing dayz?

The Styr Aug HBAR is a LMG and already been confirmed.

-2-AUG_HBAR.gif

It's only really an LMG as much as the M27 IAR is an LMG.

I mean, yes, they are classified as LMGs, however they both typically utilize standard capacity magazines, not high capacity ones. The big difference comes in barrel length, and in the AUG HBAR's case; the fact that it comes with a bipod. However, true LMGs would be more along the lines of an RPD or M249.