Sign in to follow this  
jdz (DayZ)

Storage and hording

edit - Derped and made a typo in the title.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sick of people bragging about these tent cities and having all of this excess gear in their vehicles and tents.

I think it completely defeats the purpose of the game!

You're supposed to get attached to your character, not wanting to die, not wanting to put your life at to much risk and losing all of your gear.

But this gear hoarding and tent cities completely ruin all of that.

It's as though death doesn't matter with it, if you die then you just run back to your tents or vehicle and you're all geared up again, it's that easy.

It's as though death doesn't matter or means very little, like other modern FPS games.

Personally I think tents should only have 10 slots and vehicles even less, maybe even have it set to X amounts of tents can be set up in a certain area.

I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts on this

I agree, but I do not agree in terms of a group encampment. As far as role play would go, you could always figure your respawn is another member joining the encampment. I'm not in a clan or anything; it just makes sense.

At the moment we do have a situation where a player's items is more valuable than their life which doesn't seem right. I've given this some thought and the only solution that comes to mind which I don't even particularly like is the idea of accumulating skill points for a character. These points could be spent on stuff like construction, first aid and so on. That does strike me as a bit gamey though.

We just need some way to add value to life.

We just need some way to add value to life.

Definately this' date=' quite hard to achieve though.

I agree, but I do not agree in terms of a group encampment. As far as role play would go, you could always figure your respawn is another member joining the encampment. I'm not in a clan or anything; it just makes sense.

Yes that's definately true, I see where you're coming from but I also thing that this will be the demise of this game.

Like people have said, it will turn into a giant game of deathmatch rather than survival.

I'm not sure where you guys are hoarding your tents. When I respawn I still literally have to find food/water and medical supplies plus a gun before I set out to my tent.

I'm not sure where you guys are hoarding your tents. When I respawn I still literally have to find food/water and medical supplies plus a gun before I set out to my tent.

I personally don't hoard them but I do know of groups of people who have their stuff 40kms off map so no one can get to it. Cheapest tactic ever, worse than disconnecting.

I would have thought the simple solution was to 'connect' in the database all hoarded items to the character who hoarded it. If the character dies, all the items get 'deleted' immediately along with him. 'Ownership' only changes if a different character picks it up.

And if it's true that people are setting up 'tent cities' outside the limits of the Chernarus 20km X 20km, then these should disappear when the character logs off. Thus any 'tent cities' can only be set up within the limits of Chernarus.

Cool, so next to no one has opinions on this but people will make threads with stupidest suggestions, not being able to make their mind up as to wether or not it's worth the crawl to the hopsital and about killing someone.

Good one guys, fucking great.

bump because I think tent cities out side of the map should eat loot and not allow players to save it there.

Yes that's definately true' date=' I see where you're coming from but I also thing that this will be the demise of this game.

Like people have said, it will turn into a giant game of deathmatch rather than survival.

[/quote']

We all have an idea of how this game "should" be, and most of us all have different ideas, some very different, but those ideas require other players to be on the same page. They are not and likely never will be.

I hate the deathmatch as much as anybody, but I'm so accustomed to coping with it, I barely notice.

I'd love to see the game in a place where survivor groups could literally build makeshift forts and live at them, but then one fort camp will go to war with another fort camp and we'll be at square one.

I personally don't have an issue with people being resourceful and preparing for their eventual death. If you manage to survive long enough and gain enough decent gear, why not store it? If it makes you any happier my group have had a base both within the 20x20 limit and one outside the limit, and guess what has happened both times to us when we've acquired a good amount of gear?....

It's got stolen and we've been ambushed!

From my own experience, setting up bases over time and putting so much effort into it often leads to a fairly negative consequence eventually. Just like death, the fact of the matter is... someone WILL find your base and eventually they will steal everything they can, and grief you by destroying or damaging the vehicles they can't steal!

That's the beauty of this game. Even if you set up bases to restock yourself, sooner or later, someone is going to steal everything and your going to be back to square one. Regardless of how many people you team up with!

Hoarding gives some people a reason to play, and more reasons to play are good. It also adds a dynamic of defending your camp. They just need to fix it so that you can't hide shit off the boundaries of the map and it would be fine. It's not like you respawn and instantly stock up on goods, you still have to make it to your camp, and there's always a risk somebody will see where you're going and find it if you aren't careful or you hide it too close to coastal areas.

And I disagree with the notion that losing absolutely everything you owned every time you die would make people play the game more seriously. From what I've seen it has the opposite effect - a lot of people will be turned off after dying so many times with good gear and will start spending their time PKing along the coast for their jollies. It's not that big of a deal if you die with an Enfield and a couple tools you found in an apartment in Cherno. Getting shot in the back from a mile away when you've been alive for 2 or 3 RL days is another story. Most people require a balance on their frustration level, and I think camps help with that to an extent.

I DON'T LIKE OTHER PEOPLE STORING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONLY PLAY-STYLES I LIKE SHOULD BE ALLOWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really they can store equipment as long as its in-side the 20kmx20km map zone which is more than large enough.

To increase the value of your life just have your blood level increase by say 250 each "day" you survive up to a cap of say 20k?

Woooooooooosh

That's the sound of the point going over everyones heads.

My point is that if you can just run back to your tent and re-equip, what's to stop the deathmatch style of play?

DEATH DOESN'T MATTER, IT ONLY MEANS YOU HAVE TO WALK 30 MINUTES TO GET RE-EQUIPPED.

That is my point, it's not about people having better gear than me, I'm well equipped with high end gear. This makes me be cautious and not attack situations as I would in many other modern FPS games.

If I die, I've got to start all over again, get all of this equipment back and go from there but if I had all of this other gear there if I died then where's the thrill? I don't have to worry about dying, I may as well play Quake,BF3 or COD.

To increase the value of your life just have your blood level increase by say 250 each "day" you survive up to a cap of say 20k?

Good idea, although it should only increase each day if your blood is already 9000> to prevent people getting injured and then just logging off for days.

Without a tent to store gear then what is the point in playing the game once your backpack is full of all the stuff you need? There is no point killing players or looting buildings when not having any inventory space left to store it.

Besides filling a tent with extra nice loot means I have already been risking my life more than necessary to get the loot in the first place.

Dieing and looting a building then dieing and looting a building is no different to looting a building, not dieing, store in tent, then looting a building. They both have a fear of dieing.

How about people barbwiring themselves inside a building so noone else can enter the areas good things can spawn, oh wait you want them to get rid of the tents so they cannot return and kill you while you camping in the building, ahh i get it now, go die in a hole :3 tents bring a small 'comunity' to the stry aspect, yeah you died, and you went and got your stuff back from a tent, but people are out there running around just to shoot other players and call them names while they die cause they can do anything else cause you sprinted up behind them while they where trying to sneak around a zombie and shot then with a shotgun screaming 'mad faggot" into your mic. Take out PvP then start worrying about if people are just gettign things from a tent.

I have no issue with hoarding or tent cities as LONG AS THEY ARE WITHIN THE MAP LIMITS. The shit gets stupid when people set up tent cities OUTSIDE the edges of the map that shit gets a little dumb. I applaud admins who go out of their way to delete those tents of people who go out of bounds to hide their equipment.

I think this game needs something like what is in Battlefield 3, you go out of the limits of the maps you have a few seconds to turn back or you die. Problem solved.

I'm more concerned with vehicle hoarding in particular. That's just lame seeing as how they are finite. Everyone else has to walk past all that industrial loot or hold on to some against all hope of actually finding a vehicle. And the best tool for finding more vehicles is a vehicle, so the problem is exacerbated from the start.

Even without a tent city death means little to me.

Whenever I die I usually have no problem making my way through Cherno/Elektro/Berezino and grabbing an ALICE pack, a sidearm/a lee or winny and plenty of food/soda to last me several days.

This game is easy to survive once you've been playing for a few weeks.

Well me and some friends found a couple stashed vehicles along with tents.

there was a buss some tractors a couple jeeps a bike and a truck.

took a couple vehicles along with a bunch of guns like L85's m107s bizons and a TON of ammo.

it was fun.

Those players who manage to find a tent has put a lot of effort into it, why should all that work be all in vain?