Sign in to follow this  
L_Lawliet

Mosin Rangefinding

A month or so ago i found a video on youtube of some guy who had figured out a simple way of range finding without any kind of map or app. Now from what i can remember he would zoom out as far as possible, find a zombie as a target, and then measure how many times that zombie would fit into the scope's cross-hair. If he was to imagine copies of zombies that size and put them on top of each other, for each copy it would work out as (the part im unsure of) 50m, so if he could fit that size zombie into the scope's cross-hair 10 times the target would be 500m away, he then adjusted the scope to 500m, aimed slightly to the right, shot and it hit, he did this with a few other targets and they all worked.

So what im asking as im not sure if im right, but if anyone knows this method of range finding and how to do it, or has a link to the video could you please let me know.

There are numerous easier ways to range-find.

1. Rangefinder, in game.. 

2. Use a map (in game map).. Ever square is 100 meters when zoomed in. From corner to corner, each square is about 135 meters. If you wish to get (relatively) close and the 2 positions on the map are at a strange angle from one another, you can use a small length of string, press it taut over your map from position A to position B, with your thumbs holding the string at each location, then move the string so it sits straight against the map.

3. Use dayzdb.com (Shift+Tab in steam, www.dayzdb.com, click on 2 positions. viola.)

It's 100m if you can fit a single person/zombie in between the thick black line and centre of the crosshair, 200m for two people and so on. You can also guestimate against doors, as a player is roughly 3/4 the height of a door. 

But with 0.50 release, may as well just find a rangefinder.

Edited by Euphobia

Google "mil dot range estimation".

You're welcome.

The main issue is that in DayZ you have to use a specific FoV to be able to use your scope this way. This FoV value is the most important piece of information in the video. And it seems to be at a different point for the Longrange Scope* than for the PSO-1 Scope (at least for the techniques used here).

*Thats the one you are looking for.

I must be slow, because I found a range finder and can't figure out where it tells you what range the thing you are looking at is.

Get a battery, take the RF t your hands and look through it, scroll and choose measure distance.

Other than the milspec rangefinder, it would be cool if a lesser civilian version like a golf range scope could be found. Not as accurate or long ranged and no digital readout but it wouldn't require a battery and could fit in one inventory slot.

example:

Monocular-style-Golf-range-finder-000632

I just imagine football fields between me and my target and it works pretty well...  /shrug

unless the actual rangefinder isnt able to zoom in its totally useless at the moment. 

You cannot really zoom, I think. It's still good enough and the fastest way to measure distance between you and a direct point, or at least the most accurate you can imagine.

You use that big ... crosshair or box and put the target right in the center of it. If your zombie (what else, of course?) target is in a building or on it for some reason, take the building (or the top of it) as target. Hit it. Then adjust accordingly.

I cannot imagine another more accurate way as the rangefinger works like the interactive dayzmap. But your own and the target location is more accurate if you hit it right.

E: It should be noted that it's range finding or measuring is limited. I think beyond 1000 meters it will just say -X- or something. Or maybe it is related to your draw / view distance. Then again I'd say fighting (moving) targets beyond 700 to 900 meters is somewhat useless. (Yes, for all the pros, no need to prove me otherwise now :P)

Edited by Combine
  • Like 1

Strangely enough, I haven't made use of the mil-dots in scopes whatsoever. I don't have a mag for my AKM, but it's fitted with a PSO-1 scope and I've managed to kill with the chambered bullet from pretty good distances about 4/5 times. The one time it didn't kill, I believe it only hit their leg due to failure of estimating the distance, but I tracked him down to put him out of his misery. I have similar results with a LRS-equipped Mosin. I've landed killing shots from the tall industrial tower in coordinates 119, 010 all the way to the main tower at 115, 006 from just 'feeling' for how much the bullet would drop from the distance.

I don't think rangefinders and having to calculate all that stuff is really necessary. It's certainly helpful, but unless I just have a knack for eyeballing it, I would sooner toss a rangefinder into the bushes outside of where I found it than carry it with me to use.

The range finder makes sniping easy. I'm consistently getting hits at 5-6 and even 700 meters out with the Mosin. NWAF has been a field day for me since the range finder came out.