Sign in to follow this  
Raventhorn

Spawn hubs

First off I would like to say that I have played since the very begining (of the mod) and the more hardcore the better.

When they add a new obstacle to overcome I get excited.

There is however one thing I miss, beeing able to play with my friends.
We are about 20-30 rl friends who play together, but we rarly get to play together, or we have to commit suicide until we spawn reletivly close.

(and the suicide sollution is worse then spawn hubs if you ask me)

What I am proposing (prob been suggested before, but could not find anything recent) are spawn hubs or spawn circles.

It`s a rather huge circle, bigger then the total area of for example Cherno, so you can`t just camp the "hubs" and kill noobs.

But this will make it possible to play with friends. Hook up abit easier, I don`t have as much playtime as I did when I was younger, and spending 2hours just running the forrest trying to hook up with 2 friends just kills it for me (and many others).

Considering there are several good suggestions in this thread that are actually better than mine but still get`s the point, I will add them in the opening post.

1: Spawn in global random spawn, but close to a friend. (cred. Evil Minion)

• First player spawn area is the global spawn area.
  • Second player spawn area is limited* to a 1 km circle around the first player.
  • Third players spawn area is limited* to the union of the 1 km circles around the first two players.

2: Spawn in from an incident with a friend. (cred. Nesuma)

• Random spawn along the coast (as it is now)
  • Spawn in a an old car wreck or an old boat (not working) simulating the way you entered the apocalypse together.

Read their own (and better explanations in the thread below)

People who are passionate about this game does not want any "short-cuts" or "easy gaming". But considering many of us have work and other Non gaming things we need to do sometimes we would still like to be able to play with friends. And I don`t think 2 fresh spawns able to start close are the biggest threat anyway. They just want to enjoy the game as friends.

Best Regards.

Edited by Raventhorn

Well, you could also do what every one else does (including me and my friends) and that is find your bearings on the map and meet halfway, it is never longer than a ten min walk that way.

Or... you could just meet up by actually meeting up in game and actually earning the benefits the group gives to you.

Because suiciding until you get a good spawn doesn't really sound like overcoming obstacles. Its not that much of a deal if you all just started with a new character but once some of you got geared or you are using this to get back together when someone got killed its getting very abusive.

Maybe restrict "spawning together" to freshspawns (all players have to start with a new character) and just spawn them in the regular spawn area but relatively close together (~1000m maximum distance). You should not be able to spawn closer to your geared friends though - thats just skipping obstacles/challenges.

• Like 3

Or... you could just meet up by actually meeting up in game and actually earning the benefits the group gives to you.

Because suiciding until you get a good spawn doesn't really sound like overcoming obstacles. Its not that much of a deal if you all just started with a new character but once some of you got geared or you are using this to get back together when someone got killed its getting very abusive.

Maybe restrict "spawning together" to freshspawns (all players have to start with a new character) and just spawn them in the regular spawn area but relatively close together (~1000m maximum distance). You should not be able to spawn closer to your geared friends though - thats just skipping obstacles/challenges.

Why would it be abusive if the geared player commits suicide to get back to the coast. I don't think that OP wants to spawn next to the geared player, just in the same hub as his other fresh spawned fellowers. But I still don't like the idea.

Why don't you just enjoy the game throughout, play 2 hour, walk a bit, loot a bit and on the next day the same thing and after 3 days you meet up with your friends and everything is wonderful because you had some solo time and you still get your group gameplay.

Well, you could also do what every one else does (including me and my friends) and that is find your bearings on the map and meet halfway, it is never longer than a ten min walk that way.

You mean what we do everytime we play? Ten min for every friend you hook up with in a game with around 5min life expactancy ?

Like I said I have played this game since very birth early release on the arma2 mod. I know all the "tips and Trix", it just still feels like you run to meet your friends most of the time.

And "find your bearings on the map" are you kidding me? I know the map as the back of my hand, and when I spawn I know exactly where I am, and how far I have to run. That is the basis for the whole suggestion.

Why don't you just enjoy the game throughout, play 2 hour, walk a bit, loot a bit and on the next day the same thing and after 3 days you meet up with your friends and everything is wonderful because you had some solo time and you still get your group gameplay.

Done that for a few years now.... I don`t see any good arguments against spawn hubs.... Just "I don`t like it"... that is in the category of "I don`t care what you like".

Give me some good arguments, like "it destroys the game immersion" or "That is the point of the game, to work to find people" and so. "I don`t like it" is nothing to discuss.

*Sarcasm* :)

I would love to just quit work, break up with my girlfriend, toss the baby in a dumpster and game several hours just to find my friends and THEN begin to actually play. *Sarcasm end*

This is what I said myself, suiciding until you spawn togheter is NOT overcoming an obsticle, but It`s what people do. And spawn hubs will remove the need to exploid a bad game mechanic.

Just being able to choose like 4 big circles along the coast would be enough, (and also remove the need to re-spawn until happy) but if that ruin your game play (As if "I like to run a few more minutes until I can play with my friends" is a good argument) I will let this go and just do something else. (and so will all of my friends).

Best Regards.

Edited by Raventhorn
  • Like 1

Why would it be abusive if the geared player commits suicide to get back to the coast. I don't think that OP wants to spawn next to the geared player, just in the same hub as his other fresh spawned fellowers. But I still don't like the idea.

It doesn't - unless it would be too easy to reclaim the gear afterwards.

I don't like the idea of separate and discrete hubs - its probably better if people would spawn at random points throughout the spawn area weighted by several factors. When spawning with friends I would just apply the same method but make the players spawn somewhat close to each other. For example by choosing the first sawn point as usual but the other spawn points limited to a certain area. To avoid large groups having too much of an advantage the area should increase with group size:

• Second player spawn area is limited* to a 1 km circle around the first player.
  • Third players spawn area is limited* to the union of the 1 km circles around the first two players.

So if you join with 10 friends chances are that two of you will spawn up to 10km apart from each other which somewhat mitigates the "huge sqzad spawns in one place" effect but still makes it easier to meet up with someone. For this purposes any personalized weight factors (like the place where you died before) should be applied to the whole group to make it harder to play "suicide>spawn>reclaim" with someones gear.

*Players may not spawn outside the global spawn area.

• Like 1

It doesn't - unless it would be too easy to reclaim the gear afterwards.

I don't like the idea of separate and discrete hubs - its probably better if people would spawn at random points throughout the spawn area weighted by several factors. When spawning with friends I would just apply the same method but make the players spawn somewhat close to each other. For example by choosing the first sawn point as usual but the other spawn points limited to a certain area. To avoid large groups having too much of an advantage the area should increase with group size:

So if you join with 10 friends chances are that two of you will spawn up to 10km apart from each other which somewhat mitigates the "huge sqzad spawns in one place" effect but still makes it easier to meet up with someone. For this purposes any personalized weight factors (like the place where you died before) should be applied to the whole group to make it harder to play "suicide>spawn>reclaim" with someones gear.

*Players may not spawn outside the global spawn area.

Hmm, you know what ? I completly agree :)

This was not bad at all... great idea :)

Best Regards.

Done that for a few years now.... I don`t see any good arguments against spawn hubs.... Just "I don`t like it"... that is in the category of "I don`t care what you like".

Give me some good arguments, like "it destroys the game immersion" or "That is the point of the game, to work to find people" and so. "I don`t like it" is nothing to discuss.

Ok, you're right. Bad argument. Serious arguments against it:

-We would lose the stranded people feeling when we can choose the area where we spawn.

-"That is the point of the game, to work to find people"

-"it destroys the game immersion"

-Some places would be totaly avoided.

But.

I can relate to your idea, but I'd prefer it if it's still random, it would be wrong if you could decide where to spawn. I think if they really want to make it possible to spawn together it should work depending on the time. If you and your mate both press respawn at the same minute you will get spawned together. This could be expanded by spawning both of you inside of a crashed car / boat or something giving a minimum of background and why you spawned together.

Edited by Nesuma
  • Like 1

Ok, you're right. Bad argument. Serious arguments against it:

-We would lose the stranded people feeling when we can choose the area where we spawn.

-"That is the point of the game, to work to find people"

-"it destroys the game immersion"

-Some places would be totaly avoided.

But.

I can relate to your idea, but I'd prefer it if it's still random, it would be wrong if you could decide where to spawn. I think if they really want to make it possible to spawn together it should work depending on the time. If you and your mate both press respawn at the same minute you will get spawned together. This could be expanded by spawning both of you inside of a crashed car / boat or something giving a minimum of background and why you spawned together.

Come on don`t use my own arguments against me :) Well I guess that`s what I risk when I provided them.

A good point would be that people should be able to hook up with friends with good gear, i.e. - "spawn at hub 1, I am close" - that would be wrong. And I did honestly not think about that.

So I agree with your point that it should be random. And I like the way you added the car or boat idea. This weekend we where 4 friends meeting up having a "good old lan" (except it`s online, but you get my point)

I am an old Dayz player 2 of them where new, and we introduced the game to them, they only said positive things about the game. "So you get cold and die?... cool, then we have to work around that".... "You can starve?.... also cool"  Some bugs but hey it`s alpha, only thing they said at the end was... "well, fun game but we did not really get the chance to play togheter".

And we startet tallking about solutions that would harm the gameplay to much and let people play togheter. But I agree, keep the random spawn just add an option to spawn "relatively" close to a friend. Or Like a scenario like you explained, in a destroyed boat or similar (which was inspired btw, kudos)

(This is why I post on the suggestion board btw, to get good and constructive feedback, thanks)

Best Regards

• Like 1

I say no to this just because, having another set of eyes with you is the biggest advantage in dayz. Now with a system like this your 20-30 man group could spawn in and be just a few hundred metres away from each other...all hooked up in under 10 mins. Then you loose a few in a battle....no probs il just spawn within a few hundered meters again and wel regroup. Its sort of overpowered, especially when 30 of you is 75% of the server pop.

The running and meeting up is a huge part of dayz gameplay. The tension of wether it will work.....the feeling vunerable while you are alone. But to be honest my group (around 8 if we are all on) have long given up rolling together. We split up, do our own things then if one of us comes under fire we call out for help. All our guys converge from different directions (wherever they were an the map) and we have never had a +20min response time.

Basically I don't see the run to meet people as a bad thing....it slows the speed at which you get something better than top tier gear. And its not that bad atall, 20 mins max to meet up even if one was in one corner and other in opposite corner. Work on getting better that a "5min lifespan" and youl be doing fine. When you survive for days/weeks/months, that little 30mins-1hour spell at the beginning is no big deal  :)

While I agree with you that it takes away from the "Gotta go rescue our friend" mentality and fun... It becomes fucking tiresome fast. (Sorry to be blunt)

It's as "authentic" as Arma 3's latest fatigue updates where your character has a heart attack after sprinting 100 feet. While yeah that's probably a lot more realistic, it's maddening to the point that it takes away from the core enjoyment of the game itself. I'm a big advocate for realism and immersion, but it's so distracting/problematic that it renders the game more of a pain in the ass, than an enjoyment.

As for the "10 minutes to meet in the middle" argument... I don't know what kind of speedhacks you're using, but no way that's possible, especially when one guy is a fresh spawn. It's 30+minutes at the best of times. The fresh spawn has no chance just ramming through the woods trying to make it. Especially now with rain/temperature.

Once the mechanisms come into play properly, it will take a solid hour of intense work just to stabilize yourself from fresh spawn, and that's staying in the same city. Meeting and maintaining a group will be impossible under mechanics like that. Maybe if you're a 4-5 hour per night player, yeah. But for anyone who isn't going to dedicate their life to the game, teamwork is just going to be impossible.

To make things more constructive... Asides from "NO", what would make this work?

What about "group" configurable spawn cities? (I notice DayZ has no group workings really, but maybe set something up where people can declare themselves as part of a group, and when you are in the group, it can be declared to only spawn in one city etc?)

This doesn't work well when it comes down to the group being on the other side of the map though.

Maybe give the fresh spawn a choice of spawning within a couple KM radius of an area? So if you chose Electro, well you could wind up there, or one of the 3-4 directly neighboring cities?

With that in place it may be possible to punish suiciders as well? (10min wait timer if you jump off a building after spawning?)

I'm sorry I don't have better ideas of how to fix this, but the current implementation is dogshit when it comes to meeting up as a group (And it's only going to get much worse with the new survival mechanics).

We will see a huge increase in "Lone Wolf - KOSers"

I say no to this just because, having another set of eyes with you is the biggest advantage in dayz. Now with a system like this your 20-30 man group could spawn in and be just a few hundred metres away from each other...all hooked up in under 10 mins. Then you loose a few in a battle....no probs il just spawn within a few hundered meters again and wel regroup. Its sort of overpowered, especially when 30 of you is 75% of the server pop.

With the proposal I posted above a group of 20-30 people would most likely occupy the whole spawn area (depending on the weights and whether your groupmates count towards it or not) - so thats not much of a change in the first place. The bigger your group the greater the diameter of your spawns will get. Those weights would also prevent people from spawning close to their corpses and it should only be possible if everyone is a freshspawn. Geared players would only affect the weight and here the effect should be negative - if you die in battle but your group of friends survives you will most likely spawn even further away as your friends are a group of players and the system should tend to spawn you away from areas with higher player density.

The running and meeting up is a huge part of dayz gameplay. The tension of wether it will work.....the feeling vunerable while you are alone. But to be honest my group (around 8 if we are all on) have long given up rolling together. We split up, do our own things then if one of us comes under fire we call out for help. All our guys converge from different directions (wherever they were an the map) and we have never had a +20min response time.

Definitely - thats why there should be some distance between the players. Not having your friends around instantly would also increase the chances of players who do not know each other to cooperate. Though there is a temptation to meet up - which results in people suiciding to get another spawn or running straight for a meeting point. Things that don't have a good effect on gameplay. So giving some friends who joined together the chance to spawn closer to each other might be a good thing. And it might even reduce the carelessness of freshspawns, because when you die you will spawn on your own - and most likely further away from your friends.

Basically I don't see the run to meet people as a bad thing....it slows the speed at which you get something better than top tier gear. And its not that bad atall, 20 mins max to meet up even if one was in one corner and other in opposite corner. Work on getting better that a "5min lifespan" and youl be doing fine. When you survive for days/weeks/months, that little 30mins-1hour spell at the beginning is no big deal   :)

The problem is that right now the environment isn't very challenging and running speed to way too fast - so you can actually affort going for a quick run to meet someone. But thats hopefully to change and then you spawning in Cherno and your mate spawning in Berezino would mean that the two of you wouldn't meet anytime soon.

It's as "authentic" as Arma 3's latest fatigue updates where your character has a heart attack after sprinting 100 feet. While yeah that's probably a lot more realistic, it's maddening to the point that it takes away from the core enjoyment of the game itself. I'm a big advocate for realism and immersion, but it's so distracting/problematic that it renders the game more of a pain in the ass, than an enjoyment.

So realism is only fine if it doesn't affect your unrealistic behavior?

Once the mechanisms come into play properly, it will take a solid hour of intense work just to stabilize yourself from fresh spawn, and that's staying in the same city. Meeting and maintaining a group will be impossible under mechanics like that. Maybe if you're a 4-5 hour per night player, yeah. But for anyone who isn't going to dedicate their life to the game, teamwork is just going to be impossible.

Thats what I mean - right now meeting each other is no real problem and there are few other things to worry about so you are actually happy to have a "quest". But with more game elements in place (temperature is a start here) it will take longer and longer and in the end most people want to play the game with their friends. meeting up should be a part of the game and by no means trivial but it shouldn't take so much effort. Specifically I think "meet a friend" should be easier than "travel from Berezino to Cherno".

The problem is that right now the environment isn't very challenging and running speed to way too fast - so you can actually affort going for a quick run to meet someone. But thats hopefully to change and then you spawning in Cherno and your mate spawning in Berezino would mean that the two of you wouldn't meet anytime soon.

I kinda like that (if you don't do a suicide) it could potentially be a night or 2 of play just to meet your friend.

I just saw a post from gibonz that had a brilliant phrase in it...."lives per hour" we so need something like this. It would pretty much abolish that respawn for spawn mentality. More it would throw the emphasis of the game right back onto survival, and allow us to keep random selected respawn points :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 2

So realism is only fine if it doesn't affect your unrealistic behavior?

Realism is fine until it starts to break down the playability of a game. There's a level where it pushes beyond what the average player is willing to tolerate throughout their experience.

Again, I'm normally a huge advocate for as much immersion and realism as possible, but eventually it kills the spirit and enjoyment of the game if pushed too far. It's a "Game" after all, some rules need to be bent in order to bring the experience down to a game level, otherwise fuck it let's just go run off into the woods with a bat, some beans, and a raincoat. Some shortcuts need to be made in order to bring it to a level that the audience will tolerate.

Your average (the ones who make up 85%+ of the game's audience) isn't going to stomache much more than an hour worth of struggling to meet up with a single friend. Most average players only play for an hour or two a night. The majority of the people here are a little more hardcore, but as the game progresses, there will be more and more causual players who won't have time/patience for that. (And while most of us would reply with "well fuck them anyway", they are what will make up the majority of the game's income when it does go live, so they make the rules in the end)

I like the idea of having a challenge for everything, but it reaches a point where it becoms too much. I admit, I've suicided to get better spawns, many times. And after a while of playing and not getting a decent spawn, knowing I've got another hour of pissing around to meet up, most of our group goes, "Ok fuck this I've had enough for tonight, let's just go play something else" and the entire group hangs it up for the night.

It's a tough balance, and currently it's at the limit of what I would call tolerable. Any more and groups will bleed off fast if nothing is done to simplify things for them.

If you're a lone wolf, it's not bad at all. But from a group perspective, it's a mess.

Thats why we are aiming for a reasonable amount of time here.

It shouldn't be too easy as this would cut down most of the early game and also gives you a significant reward (meeting up with people you know you can trust) without the respective effort. If its too easy to meet your friends the DayZ community will most likely boil down to groups of friends who are hostile to everyone else reducing the amount of social interactions and the need to cooperate with strangers (though people are often more relaxed towards strangers with their friends nearby). So I think meeting friends should take more effort (on average) than getting your basic survival right - you should meet up for mid game or - if unlucky - for the second half of early game.

However, it shouldn't be too hard either because in the end you want to play with your friends. So after a reasonable time having to deal with strangers you should be able to meet up. This should probably be easier than most of the midgame elements like traveling to the next big city or military base or looting through a significant number of towns. I think meeting friends should be about as difficult as finding a weapon with some ammunition (not tons).

Thats speaking of freshspawns. With geared players involved there should be no benefits (other than knowing and communicating with a guy thats geared) - you shouldn't use friends as a failproof way to skip early/mid game. This means the difficulty of meeting your geared friend should be about as high as the difficult of meeting any other player with his distance to the spawn area. Now as most groups can communicate via TS/Skype its actually less but there shouldn't be any artificial help. This also helps making death a threat - because it would result in quite some work to get back together. Which is a good thing.

Realism is fine until it starts to break down the playability of a game. There's a level where it pushes beyond what the average player is willing to tolerate throughout their experience.

Again, I'm normally a huge advocate for as much immersion and realism as possible, but eventually it kills the spirit and enjoyment of the game if pushed too far. It's a "Game" after all, some rules need to be bent in order to bring the experience down to a game level, otherwise fuck it let's just go run off into the woods with a bat, some beans, and a raincoat. Some shortcuts need to be made in order to bring it to a level that the audience will tolerate.

Your average (the ones who make up 85%+ of the game's audience) isn't going to stomache much more than an hour worth of struggling to meet up with a single friend. Most average players only play for an hour or two a night. The majority of the people here are a little more hardcore, but as the game progresses, there will be more and more causual players who won't have time/patience for that. (And while most of us would reply with "well fuck them anyway", they are what will make up the majority of the game's income when it does go live, so they make the rules in the end)

I like the idea of having a challenge for everything, but it reaches a point where it becoms too much. I admit, I've suicided to get better spawns, many times. And after a while of playing and not getting a decent spawn, knowing I've got another hour of pissing around to meet up, most of our group goes, "Ok fuck this I've had enough for tonight, let's just go play something else" and the entire group hangs it up for the night.

It's a tough balance, and currently it's at the limit of what I would call tolerable. Any more and groups will bleed off fast if nothing is done to simplify things for them.

If you're a lone wolf, it's not bad at all. But from a group perspective, it's a mess.

Dayz has always been a niche game, I think a lot were drawn in by you tube videos of thrilling engagements....but not the hours of gameplay that led to that. It went as far as to earn the "antigame" reputation for its realism.

Nothing is "a mess"....well maybe the way some approach the game. If you spend more than 20mins respawning for a better spawn its illogical. The map can be traversed in under 30 mins,, by traveling and looting specific POI's you  can beat your target location with some basic gear in under 1/4 of a 2 hour play session. Traveling and looting  is a much more effective use of the time than respawning over and over.

At first the map can seem daunting, like respawn is the only viable way to make the distance. But stick it out and you will be surprised how much more efficient looting towards each other is. Also vehicles will come along soon enough, there will be the possibility of hitching a ride, hijacking a car, finding one and letting the guys loot industrial spawns as the converge.

Basically if you are spending an hour trying to get a better spawn your wasting your time, you could have met your friend, then another, then another in that amount of time :)

Basically if you are spending an hour trying to get a better spawn your wasting your time, you could have met your friend, then another, then another in that amount of time :)

I should have been a little clearer in my post. I don't mean spending an hour suiciding or an hour running across the map. It's more that you can't do anything until you get a "basic" level of gear. So for a new spawn, they can't even TRY to go meet up with their friends until you stabilize your food/protection to a certain level. You can't even walk around a spawn town without a shit-ton of agro going after you, meanwhile you're weaponless.

The actual burn to meet friends doesn't take too long (Let's say 15-20min max if it's a straight burn). But it's the extra crap that needs to be done before you can start the journey.

All this to say, I don't HATE it, it's real game play, and some of my complaints may be Alpha related (Spawn in, and there's literally fuckall loot in the town, so you won't live to even run to the next town). But it teeters on the edge of being a fun challenge and "Ok this is getting annoying".

I gave DayZ a break for about 3-4 months because it was getting to be completely unplayable between massive bugs and hackers, etc. Now that I'm back, it's looking better, but there are still some things like this that could use some looking into or ideas tossed around.

• Like 1

I should have been a little clearer in my post. I don't mean spending an hour suiciding or an hour running across the map. It's more that you can't do anything until you get a "basic" level of gear. So for a new spawn, they can't even TRY to go meet up with their friends until you stabilize your food/protection to a certain level. You can't even walk around a spawn town without a shit-ton of agro going after you, meanwhile you're weaponless.

The actual burn to meet friends doesn't take too long (Let's say 15-20min max if it's a straight burn). But it's the extra crap that needs to be done before you can start the journey.

All this to say, I don't HATE it, it's real game play, and some of my complaints may be Alpha related (Spawn in, and there's literally fuckall loot in the town, so you won't live to even run to the next town). But it teeters on the edge of being a fun challenge and "Ok this is getting annoying".

I gave DayZ a break for about 3-4 months because it was getting to be completely unplayable between massive bugs and hackers, etc. Now that I'm back, it's looking better, but there are still some things like this that could use some looking into or ideas tossed around.

This is exaclty how I feel aswell.

Had a break for a while, startet up again now as they will be adding vehicles soon.

And also got a few new friends with me, their complaints are not the bugs (and we all know there are a few).

It`s not beeing able to play with the people you bought the game to play with in the first place.

But it`s not just new players who comment on this, old players who played with me in the early release of the mod also says that with the new temperature and the little to no loot (something I love btw) it`s hard to meet up with your friends, and this is a multiplayer game after all. Just last night we hade 3 players just playing arma 2 since they died 3 times before even meeting any of us.

Keep it hard.

Keep it challenging.

But let me play with my friends.

Glad to see there are atleast a few others who find the idea of a better solution to spawn is needed. And perhaps the best one is not even suggested yet.

I got 2 great ones just by posting in here.

Best Regards.

• Like 1

Glad to see there are atleast a few others who find the idea of a better solution to spawn is needed. And perhaps the best one is not even suggested yet.

I got 2 great ones just by posting in here.

Exactly. I don't think the best/proper solution has been suggested yet. I'm not saying Spawn hubs is perhaps the best solution to this, and I don't enjoy putting something down without providing a better alternative, but even I can't think of a good alternative. All I know is it's a growing problem. One that will become a massive problem as more casual "regular" players come onboard.

P.S. for those saying the game is all about meeting new friends as well, I agree, but let's face it, we want to play with our existing friends as well. Anyone who thinks it's not a big deal, look at the shitstorm ElderScrolls Online is dealing with in this regard. They completely fucked the dog with that megaserver mess.