Sign in to follow this  
jayleann

bleeding with more lasting impact

Hello, I have a suggestion for bandaging. At the moment a bandage completely stops the loss of blood and keeps it stable on a certain level from which you can recover quite easily and without worrying about it anymore. My idea is to change that in the following way:

Once you start bleeding, you can use the bandage to reduce the loss of blood but not completely stop it. The bandage has a certain duration which is dependent on its quality (pristine, damaged, etc.) and the type (rags, medical bandage, etc.). So from the point you put the bandage on your body it only reduces the amount of blood you loose (this happens when the bandage is damaged, badly damaged and the like) or it deteroriates the quality of the bandage until you reach that point. When the rag/bandage reaches the level of "soaked through" or "ruined" it is not reducing blood loss anymore, or only to a very small extent and with increased risk of gangrene.

As a second improvement the wound itself should have a duration/intensity value. Depending on the intensity of the wound there could be a chance to recover completely without bandages. Especially when you are physically in a very good condition it should be possible to heal by yourself. I sometimes watch WOBO and other youtube-guide people and I recognized that DayZ is measuring the amount of blood you loose per second, depending on what caused the damage (melee weapon, bullets, zombies, etc.), so I think it should work.

So from my point of view the process of stopping the damage should last minimum as long as the actual recovering process when you eat food to gain your color and resilience back.

Since this idea sounds like a lot of other people may have had it before I apalogize if it was mentioned already. I write ideas down as they appear and I am not very good with the search function. :)

• Like 4

I like this, maybe a suture kit to use to almost completely stop bleeding on more serious wounds aswell. If the suture kit took a lot longer to use than a bandage, the bandage would be the goto for in a combat situation, then later in the woods stitch it up+ fresh bandage and bleeding would stop within 30mins or so :)

Sure, as long as zeds stop making you bleed. They don't bite, they slap you with their hands. And human nails even if not trimmed and broken, are not capable of causing serious bleeding. 

• Like 1

I like the idea, I really do .The problem is, lets say two small squads get into a skirmish. Jim's squad wins it, but he takes a bullet to the leg. It's a massive gash, it means it'll take hours for him to be able to go back to full health, even with the best medical care. SO what Jim's going to do, is leave his gear in the woods, suicide, then respawn without that gash, then just run off and grab his gear again.

I love the idea of having bandages be more realistic, including things you didn't mention, like having to take painkillers for larger wounds, or suturing/cauterizing stuff. The problem is, if it's less of a hassle to just respawn, people won't do it.

So my suggestion, would be to do this, but also have a system where the longer a survivor has been around, the more valuable he is. Maybe he gets more total health, or a steadier shooting arm. Maybe he has more stamina. But something to make it so that people won't suicide to get rid of more serious injuries.

Ehh, this post feels a little off topic. And I may have misunderstood what you were trying to convey. Sorry if that's the case.

I like the idea, I really do .The problem is, lets say two small squads get into a skirmish. Jim's squad wins it, but he takes a bullet to the leg. It's a massive gash, it means it'll take hours for him to be able to go back to full health, even with the best medical care. SO what Jim's going to do, is leave his gear in the woods, suicide, then respawn without that gash, then just run off and grab his gear again.

I love the idea of having bandages be more realistic, including things you didn't mention, like having to take painkillers for larger wounds, or suturing/cauterizing stuff. The problem is, if it's less of a hassle to just respawn, people won't do it.

So my suggestion, would be to do this, but also have a system where the longer a survivor has been around, the more valuable he is. Maybe he gets more total health, or a steadier shooting arm. Maybe he has more stamina. But something to make it so that people won't suicide to get rid of more serious injuries.

Ehh, this post feels a little off topic. And I may have misunderstood what you were trying to convey. Sorry if that's the case.

Seems like a completely different problem all together.

One that could be fixed with randomized spawning and limited lives per hour.

Making the prospect of committing suicide not a viable option.

I would love to see some kind of bleed system table in dayz.. perhaps its on the wiki hmmm

limited lives per hour.

Best Idea Ever....where's the thread for this :thumbsup:  :beans: