ElRolle

Not being able to use RCON on private shards

So, the private shards are here, despite some quite limiting rules they are OK for what the game currently is and finally give us some more freedom - definitely a step in good direction, even though it's just a step, not a leap forward. I'd obviously prefer the server files to be released to the public, so we don't have to host our servers on overloaded machines from GSPs for ridiculous prices, but I suppose EA methods spread fast throughout the gaming industry.

This is however not what this thread is for, one of the new private shard rules makes no sense to me and I'd like to know the reasoning behind why it was added:

http://dayz.com/files/pdf/Server_Hosting_Rules_Private.pdf

You may not perform the following actions on your server

(...)
Install any 3rd party tools, modifications, or applications (aside from BEC – At this time)

I get that we shouldn't do any modifications (not that we can access any of the server files to actually do something), but what is wrong with RCON tools? What possible abuse or advantage do they give to admins compared to in game BEC commands which do exactly the same thing, the difference being you have you to be at home, start the game, connect to the server, log in with your password and manually type in commands to kick/ban someone from your server? Why force people to use BECs archaic text-file based whitelist when in 2014 nobody uses flat file data storage, everything is done through SQL? Since these rules are private shard specific, what possible damage would community or players suffer on private shards if these features would be allowed?

I realize that it says "at this time", but taking the SA history I'd take that as "maybe in 2 years, if we feel like it" more than an actual temporary restriction.

I don't demand the rules to be changed, I just would like to know If any of the devs or even someone involved in decision making when these rules were defined could chip in with a reasoning, that would be plenty.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Hi Rolle,

Played on your RP-Server back then - great to see it is still a thing!

From what i understand you gain access to certain error logs they afraid of you could possibly abuse when using RCON.

What we rlly would need is:

• Kill logs (to enforce rules like PvE)

• Connection logs (to whitelist easily and enforce rules like "no combat log" or ghosting)

Regards

• Like 1

I just would like to know If any of the devs or even someone involved in decision making when these rules were defined could chip in with a reasoning, that would be plenty.

I can only speculate but perhaps the reasoning is so that if any issues arise with the rollout of private shards etc, they can much more easily be identified/reproduced if there aren't a bunch of different/unknown third-party rcon tools which could be the cause.

This is what Rocket said a few weeks ago regarding the rollout of admin tools etc.

With great power comes great responsibility. We clearly need to increase server admins control over servers, but people need to realize that as we do that - we increase the potential for abuse.

I see threads of rage of people complaining about the lack of server admin tools, and then threads that outline problems associated with server admin settings/kicking/etc...

What we need to do is allow the team time to add server admin functionality at a pace where they can assess impact. So it's really a question of carefully changing how things work rather than reacting instantly to problems.

Hi Rolle,

Played on your RP-Server back then - great to see it is still a thing!

From what i understand you gain access to certain error logs they afraid of you could possibly abuse when using RCON.

What we rlly would need is:

• Kill logs (to enforce rules like PvE)

• Connection logs (to whitelist easily and enforce rules like "no combat log" or ghosting)

Regards

Hey, I remember you! :)

That's the thing though, RCON does not give you any more information than BEC already does. If the concern would be user privacy I would understand, but BEC already displays IP and GUID of connecting players just as RCON client does.

I can only speculate but perhaps the reasoning is so that if any issues arise with the rollout of private shards etc, they can much more easily be identified/reproduced if there aren't a bunch of different/unknown third-party rcon tools which could be the cause.

This is what Rocket said a few weeks ago regarding the rollout of admin tools etc.

That would be strange, since the RCON clients work using the standardized BattlEye API it shouldn't matter what client is used, they all send the same calls to the server. Therefore as long as BattlEye works with the game server, the communication between BattlEye and an RCON client should not interfere with the game.

The quote is understandable - for public servers and I agree with what Rocket said. In this case however, the functionality is already there and available for private shard admins - they can kick and ban at will - using BEC. I imagine BEC uses the exact same BattlEye calls to kick/ban players as an RCON client does. This is why I am confused by this rule - why not let admins easily connect remotely and deal with problems within seconds instead of forcing them to join the game and manually type commands?

Thank you for replying though :)

Hey, I remember you! :)

That's the thing though, RCON does not give you any more information than BEC already does. If the concern would be user privacy I would understand, but BEC already displays IP and GUID of connecting players just as RCON client does.

That would be strange, since the RCON clients work using the standardized BattlEye API it shouldn't matter what client is used, they all send the same calls to the server. Therefore as long as BattlEye works with the game server, the communication between BattlEye and an RCON client should not interfere with the game.

The quote is understandable - for public servers and I agree with what Rocket said. In this case however, the functionality is already there and available for private shard admins - they can kick and ban at will - using BEC. I imagine BEC uses the exact same BattlEye calls to kick/ban players as an RCON client does. This is why I am confused by this rule - why not let admins easily connect remotely and deal with problems within seconds instead of forcing them to join the game and manually type commands?

Thank you for replying though :)

That is amazing that you still recognize me! Hope your HIVE is doing well and good luck with the SA part :)

Please in this context it would be named Rolleout :D

EDIT: this thread took over with same question http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/204322-no-rcon-support-anymore/

Edited by VanValdenburg

So, the private shards are here, despite some quite limiting rules they are OK for what the game currently is and finally give us some more freedom - definitely a step in good direction, even though it's just a step, not a leap forward. I'd obviously prefer the server files to be released to the public, so we don't have to host our servers on overloaded machines from GSPs for ridiculous prices, but I suppose EA methods spread fast throughout the gaming industry.

This is however not what this thread is for, one of the new private shard rules makes no sense to me and I'd like to know the reasoning behind why it was added:

http://dayz.com/files/pdf/Server_Hosting_Rules_Private.pdf

I get that we shouldn't do any modifications (not that we can access any of the server files to actually do something), but what is wrong with RCON tools? What possible abuse or advantage do they give to admins compared to in game BEC commands which do exactly the same thing, the difference being you have you to be at home, start the game, connect to the server, log in with your password and manually type in commands to kick/ban someone from your server? Why force people to use BECs archaic text-file based whitelist when in 2014 nobody uses flat file data storage, everything is done through SQL? Since these rules are private shard specific, what possible damage would community or players suffer on private shards if these features would be allowed?

I realize that it says "at this time", but taking the SA history I'd take that as "maybe in 2 years, if we feel like it" more than an actual temporary restriction.

I don't demand the rules to be changed, I just would like to know If any of the devs or even someone involved in decision making when these rules were defined could chip in with a reasoning, that would be plenty.

Thank you!

+1

Need Rcon to can kick/ban with reason.

(Supper friendly and proffessional to kick users with no reason. BUT WE CANT !)

WAIT AND SEE

(Its Alpha Haha)