Sign in to follow this  
savini

Lock Picks and Garden Lime

So I hopped onto experimental today and the first thing I noticed...was that I loaded in so fast I didn't have time for my ritual piss break. The next thing I noticed was the my framerate was considerably higher than normal.

I'm not sure what the team has done, but it is fantastic. I was actually getting all giddy about it. I recommend trying out the new experimental build if you haven't yet.

So in my excitement I ran around checking out some houses I would normally skip and I suddenly came across a bag of lime on the ground. Funny enough, I actually found it near the wrecked bus with the mass grave.

2014-10-15_00001.jpg

A few minutes later I spied a peculiar little object on the ground. I didn't recognize the shape so I decided to check it out.

2014-10-15_00002.jpg

A set of lock picks? Curiouser and curiouser.

So then. The discussion is this... What do you suppose these new items are for? Surely the lime would be used for gardening, yeah? Disposal of bodies isn't really a main concern of many of the new residents of Chernarus, I don't think.

The lock picks though. What on earth do you suppose those are going to be used for? Unlocking safes? Houses? Handcuffs? All of the above?

Forgive me if there has been talk of safes and such, but I haven't heard anything about items we may be able to lock.

So there. Speculate! or clue me in if I missed something :P.

• Like 3

You can use the lockpicks to lock and unlock doors now. If you come across an already locked door, simply melee your way through it! B)

• Like 1

Fertilizer for food, or for fertilizer bomb. Funny... I feel like I can somehow predict how most players would plan to use it.

• Like 1

You can use the lockpicks to lock and unlock doors now. If you come across an already locked door, simply melee your way through it! B)

I see!! Very cool. I'm gonna hop in and try it out.

[EDIT: Just hopped in and tried it out. Works like a charm! The quality drops with each use it seems, and I was able to pop the door open with one hit of a crowbar, but I think it will still be a good first line of defense in a hold out situation.]

Very cool addition. I recorded my lock picking testing. I'll post it up here in a moment.

If anyone finds some more lime, try to experiment with it and let us know what you come up with.

Edited by Rhodes
  • Like 1

Will I be able to coat zombie heads in lime and throw them at my enemies?

Maybe in the future zeds will be lured by the scent of blood and if you kill someone in your own camp, you'll have to dispose of them to not put yourself at risk?  Idk, just a wild guess.

The gardening lime is actually used in the greenhouses with other gardening tools, however the only confirmed crop I know of that you can actually grow as of right now would be the tomato. Have fun :)

I'm starting to think the 'homemade explosive' idea is probably correct. What all would one need to make a...actually. Maybe that isn't something we should discuss...the hows of it I mean. I won't be able to hop on for a little while so I can't mess around with it unfortunately.

Also, just finished uploading the short vid. I should've tried busting down the door bare handed as well as the axe, but I didn't think about that until now unfortunately. The crowbar can pop the door open in one swing, which makes sense. I just hope it isn't one hit for everything. If someone happens across another set of lock picks, see if you can bust open the door with your hands, or another melee weapon.

Anyhow, here is a short vid of the lock pick in action.

As you may have noticed, the quality of the lock pick degrades with use. Also, you must have the lock pick in hand in order to use it. I noticed the crowbar there at the end and decided to see if I could pry open the door. Indeed I was able to with one quick hit.

[EDIT: Just read Stryker's post. I wasn't aware that some farming was implemented. Geez, I'm quite a bit behind it seems :blush:. Well, I'm still curious to see the lime being used.]

[EDIT TWO: I have my game settings turned down quite a bit, hence the shitty textures and what not. Just waiting on my new ram to arrive.]

Edited by Rhodes
  • Like 1

Very interesting initial implementation of barricading.

Hopefully, locking a door will eventually become a more involved process both to set up and to destroy.

Garden lime is also very useful for getting rid of meat on bones and such, we use it quite a lot when making moose-heads with antlers to mount on the wall

Little tip, if you decide to try out experimental and you never actually did it before, take some time and read in the experimental subforum here. There are tons of Info, especially on update days. The initial implementation of barricading and horticulture was confirmed with the announcement that exp is down for update way earlier today.