Sign in to follow this  
Llewryn

First Gunfight

I play lone wolf, mostly because I don't have any friends who play DayZ.  I've only been playing for a couple weeks and have to stay away from the bigger cities due to poor computer performance.  So I felt very lucky to be spawned outside of Novo.  I skirted the edges of the city and looted to the point where I was able to defend myself from Zeds and headed to Severograd to keep looting on my way to the NWAF. I get very lucky and find an axe, a shotgun (sawed it off) and a mosin, along with some rounds. I'm energized, hydrated and healthy. Feeling good!

I see in the distance another player being chased by a zombie and I couldn't tell if he was armed/able to defend from zombie attack.  I run over and call out in direct chat if he needs help.  I lose sight of him and got no response in direct.  I decide to go back to looting and keep my eyes pealed.

I run into a piano house and close all the doors to prevent any zambies from wandering in and look around.  I'm upstairs when I hear a door open.  I call downstairs "Hey, you friendly down there?"  No response.  Crap...

I pull my shotty and close the door.  I give it a few minutes, then hear another door open.  I open the door in 3rd person and see a guy with a mosin standing at the top of the stairs pointing toward the room I'm in.  My heart starts to race...palms sweaty...then I see a second guy come up the stairs.  I call out again "You don't have to do this...we can work it out".  No answer.  I know my death is coming and I embrace the adrenaline coursing through my veins.

The first guy walks down the hallway trying to get an angle on me (I'm in the corner of the room trying to peek around the door frame).  I fire off a shot and barely miss his arm.  He backs off for a second and I lean out more to fire off another shot. I miss.  I pull out my Mosin expecting them to rush me now that I've emptied my shotgun. They don't attack.  I reload my shotgun and as soon as I do they pounce.  I shoot the first guy at the same time as he hits me.  Screen goes red.  Arm broken, but still alive. The first guy does not appear to have been hit, but isn't moving.  I empty the Mosin into him, gun swaying wildly...he dies.  I pull my shotgun and as I do the second guy gets the drop on me.  One shot.  I'm dead.

What an exhilarating experience!  I can't wait to get into my second firefight.  Maybe this time I'll win.  I think I would be wise to be less helpful and more stealthy.  A lone wolf must run alone and should help only himself...

• Like 7

Sounds like a adrenalin fueled moment there.

If you do spot someone, don't approach instantly.

Follow him and see if he has a friend.  I personally wouldn't approach 2 players unless both unarmed, even then its still risky.

Before you make contact, make sure you have the upper hand, i.e. the dude is looting and standing still.

• Like 1

Making any contact with players is a risk, but a risk that can put you on edge as much as the gunfight. Trying to speak to this person you dont know... you might be sharing a beer in a minute or exchanging shots... but wait did he offer you that beer to occupy your hands or did he pull a gun to shoot a bandit behind you? Theres a whole other game in the social interactions if you ask me.

Edited by umm_me

I just watched Jam Jar's latest video...it was almost identical to what happened to me, except I had more rounds and he was up against more guys. That, and he is epic and handled it way better than I did...

Edited by Llewryn

Sounds fun.

I hate it when you have a great stand-off like this and then seeing the horrible words in red.. No response from server for 10 seconds :(

• Like 1

This situations are really exciting. Also 2 people with weapons is much likely to attack you if you're alone, so yeah try to avoid them. Brotip:if you get one of them killed and you're trapped and hurt, go next to the dead player and go prone exactly ontop of him, the second bandit will most likely be like "Aaah, he died, walks up to you and tries to loot you, when you see he's checking the items out from his friend which he thinks is your loot or something (players usually gets confused), blast his dick of.. 

I can respect the people who acts nice only to lure you to stand still while their friend does a clear headshot only to see them both loot me afterwards, that makes me smile as much as I rage.

Although people like you met who doesn't respond makes me so irritated. Servers should have an option saying: Microphone REQUIRED. And players without a mic should be unable to join them. Direct chat such as talking, bonding and negotiating using mic is like 70% what this game is all about, otherwise you could play any other single player game out there and stop ruining this game for others.

But yeah, thats just my opinion.

If you want another lonewolf to team up with some time, feel free to add my skype: luddeludde1

I play kinda rollplayish and prefer cool looks above actual performance, such as bandana mask/cowboy hat with brown coat and revolver/mosin, instead of having a balistic helmet and MP5. Plays really stealthy and tries to avoid players, unless it means saving fresh spawns that you can tell is nice or if I got a really nice opportunity to take someone out that would benefit me, I would do it.. I mean comeon, it's all about surviving huh? Usually I try to talk sense to people first, but yeah I notice this community gets worse every day so soon I'll probably stop checking if people are nice or not before I end them with my sniper.

Edited by haxborn

Nice story most of us have all died of gunfights and won. My best one was in the jail in turovo(no longer in .50 R.I.P). Was just taking a trip to nova and a I passed down here to check this place out and went inside this guy tries to shoot me with an SKS and misses and I get my magnum and shoot all shots 2 hit. Finally at the corner of the room I get my mosin and shoot. I win

nice experience there buddy. I can't remember my first bloodshed. So far in the game, all I remember I only fire my weapon a few times and most of it  was for a self defence. I never waste my ammo on zombies. A nice axe on the head should be suffice.

I had an experience couple of weeks back, cross path with a person, fortunately he didn't notice my existince. I take take out my mosin and aim at him just incase, if he see's me and start to be hostile. I can just straight away shoot him. Suddenly, there is this itchy trigger finger feeling. I press the left mouse button couple of times but nothing happens, he walks away and dissapear. I check my mosin what could have happen and only notice that I forgot to load my ammo!!

It was his lucky day and I dont have blood on my hands. Thank god. I can't wait for this game to finish so that we can feel it full potential.

This situations are really exciting. Also 2 people with weapons is much likely to attack you if you're alone, so yeah try to avoid them. Brotip:if you get one of them killed and you're trapped and hurt, go next to the dead player and go prone exactly ontop of him, the second bandit will most likely be like "Aaah, he died, walks up to you and tries to loot you, when you see he's checking the items out from his friend which he thinks is your loot or something (players usually gets confused), blast his dick of.. 

Im sorry, that will only work 1/100 times.

However when it does work its hilarious.