Baker.

DayZ engine performance! FFS!

We would all love this game to throw 60fps in cities, we would all love to have mid range hardware and be able to play with every setting to the wood. But in recent days I have been remembering one of my favorite games of all time "Crysis".

Crysis was a monster, it brought even the finest machines of the day to their knees, even today mid range hardwae would have issues with every setting on high at 1080p. And in those days (2007) this was a point of pride for Crytek, their engine was the benchmark of PC performance; "but can it run Crysis?" was the only question you needed to ask when purchasing parts or a complete build (the answer was usually um yeah kinda).

Here's a quote: "Crysis was an untameable beast with current hardware and even several 8800GTXs in SLI struggled in the early days of the technology with minimum frame rates regularly dipping to unsavoury figures."

The engine has scaled amazingly well. Today I fired up Crysis and was first so proud of myself that I could play with every setting on high, and second was floored at how amazing it still looks. 

So when we complain about DayZ performance let us remember a time when a game squeezing your PC into submission was a good thing.....

0cY074C.jpg

oAeJVCy.jpg

a02evNB.jpg

uQhSi5k.jpg

Edited by Bakermensch
  • Like 3

Crysis is made on an entire different engine which was made for a wholly different purpose than dayz, which is still not finished. Your point?

Crysis is made on an entire different engine which was made for a wholly different purpose than dayz, which is still not finished. Your point?

I don't think i could state my point any clearer to be honest

• Like 1

:facepalm:

The point is that back then people didn't see it as such a negative that the game perfomed like crap on most machines. It was pushing the limits and was the benchmark for a good gaming rig. But with dayz it seems people mainly just want to bash at how badly it runs dispite the fact it, in many ways, is pushing the limits. I do think it has already taken the "Can it run Crysis?" thing though....these days is "But.....Can it run Dayz?" :)

Well that's what I got from it anyways

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 8

Ah I see. Well, the problem with dayz's performance doesn't come so much from the graphical fidelity (except for the ancient renderer maybe) but due to all the things running and being simulated in the background. Poor server performance as well etc.

Not much you can do at the moment when even with a high end rig it doesnt really matter in DayZ. That's why I misunderstood, beans to you.

• Like 3

And now imagine Crysis having DayZ's viewdistance.

• Like 8

And now imagine Crysis having DayZ's viewdistance.

I don't recall Crysis allowing you to snipe someone from 1km away. That's a very good point. If I read properly also the DayZ engine still renders the back side of buildings and such and there's a ton of optimization yet to happen. It's only going to get better boys! Hold on to your zucchini and potatoes!

• Like 2

I don't recall Crysis allowing you to snipe someone from 1km away. That's a very good point. If I read properly also the DayZ engine still renders the back side of buildings and such and there's a ton of optimization yet to happen. It's only going to get better boys! Hold on to your zucchini and potatoes!

Cryengine 2 wasn't all that optimized either, and that's mostly my point. Back then we would say "Its even rendering the back sides of buildings!". The title of the thread is ironic, and the post more a statement that things used to be different, we used to revel in this kind of stuff. I for one loved (and still do) when something raped my hardware.

I'm not trying to say the engines can be compared "apples to apples" 

Edited by Bakermensch

I for one loved (and still do) when something raped my hardware.

Everyone gets off on something!  :lol: I won't judge!

• Like 1

Today I fired up Crysis and was first so proud of myself that I could play with every setting on high

DESKTOP|i7 4930k | Asus Rampage Extreme IV | 32 GB G.Skill RipJaws PC3-10700 QC| Samsung EVO SSD 250GB | Geforce GTX 780 Superclocked |

Fuck off.

"OrLoK says: This is NOT how we do things here, with your post count you should know better."

Edited by orlok
  • Like 4

Are you seriously using Crysis as a comparison? Crysis had pretty bad optimization

Are you seriously using Crysis as a comparison? Crysis had pretty bad optimization

um...

Cryengine 2 wasn't all that optimized either, 

You're singing to the wrong crowd. Don't get me wrong. I sympathize with the people who are patient and understanding, but I barked up this tree a few days ago

and was totally shut down by people wanting to complain their case. How they spent 30 dollars and (get this) verbatim "black mailed into clicking the agreement",

and that they deserve the game's unforeseeable and evolving bugs fixed immediately, as if they had a bargaining chip. My only words from here on out to the people

who complain constantly.... Go the fuck home and play something else.

That is all.

EDIT***

Oh, and they'll nit-pick your example into detailed specifics to defend their case, missing the overall message of the OP.

It's a frustrating crowd.

Edited by StarLord

You're singing to the wrong crowd. Don't get me wrong. I sympathize with the people who are patient and understanding, but I barked up this tree a few days ago

and was totally shut down by people wanting to complain their case. How they spent 30 dollars and (get this) verbatim "black mailed into clicking the agreement",

and that they deserve the game's unforeseeable and evolving bugs fixed immediately, as if they had a bargaining chip. My only words from here on out to the people

who complain constantly.... Go the fuck home and play something else.

That is all.

EDIT***

Oh, and they'll nit-pick your example into detailed specifics to defend their case, missing the overall message of the OP.

It's a frustrating crowd.

It was more a commentary on how we used to look at things. People are gonna believe what they want I suppose.

It was more a commentary on how we used to look at things. People are gonna believe what they want I suppose.

Agreed.

I do realize they are different games, but in relation to looks, Crysis was way better optimized (even though it only supports 2 threads, but that's due to it's age) than DayZ is - Crysis could and still can bring High-End rigs to their knees without much of a problem, however it still looks amazing, better than most modern games IMO even tho it's 7 years old already.

The thing is, the engine scaled very well, meaning you could still play crysis on an old potato, e.g. a Single Core Processor and a GF 6800 when using low Settings.

Whereas in DayZ, you'll always get crappy 20ish fps in towns, no matter how strong your hardware is or how low you turn your video settings - that problem is unfortunately present in all Arma Games and I think it might be the #1 game breaker, although we're probably all used to it already...

Point being, I don't think the performance of DayZ (and other Arma Games) is acceptable in relation to their looks - optimization is where the engine is really starting to show it's age.

Edited by Nik21
  • Like 3

So when we complain about DayZ performance let us remember a time when a game squeezing your PC into submission was a good thing.....

That's completely different though.

Crysis "squeezed your PC into submission" because the game itself (mainly graphics) were far ahead of anything users' hardware could handle at the time.

Dayz on the other hand is simply running of a pretty shitty engine known for it's bad performance AND is yet to be optimized..

So really you're comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by Chompster
  • Like 1

So really you're comparing apples to oranges.

Sigh, nobody ever reads the whole thread

I'm not trying to say the engines can be compared "apples to apples" 

I built a new rig in mid 2006 for a flight sim but also had Crysis on my radar..on a budget but she was a nice thing back then. Waited a month for a P5N32SLI premium  mobo from the states.2 7800gs cards, new duo core 2.4ghz clocked to 2.8.With tweaking Crysis ran fucking awesome until the big alien dome appeared towards the end of the game, then she started stuttering.  Arma , which came out around the same time ran like a drunk dog, gave up on it after a month of fucking with it. Changed from sli to a 9800gtx+ after one of the 7800's died and a rerun through Crysis was beautiful all round with some tweaking. Never went back to arma until the mod,

The original flight sim i built the rig for.. finally came out in 2011, 8 years in development and it was an unoptimised pos. Many tears.

• Like 2

Sigh, nobody ever reads the whole thread

So you assume.

With only 2 pages and the average response being less than 2 sentences long i did read the whole thread and saw that comment you quoted and still conclude you're comparing apples to oranges (hence to 'really'). If DayZ really did simply require a beast computer to run i'd be holding your hand and chanting along with you. But it doesn't. it's just another game running off a faulty engine with poor performance, bad task distribution (CPU heavy) and lacking actual optimization because it's alpha.

DayZ or any game that runs off this engine or a variant of it will never be what Crysis was, essentially a benchmark people used to boast how awesome their computer was. If anything the only game that'll be able to do that anytime soon will be Star Citizen when that releases(ironically it also runs on the Cryengine)  

Edited by Chompster
  • Like 2