JERRY220

THIS GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR NOOBS

The learning curve for new players to the ARMA engine with this mess on top is nearly insurmountable. I can see where the OP is coming from. My friend and I have talked a few guys into picking the game up, and if it wasn't for us 2 veterans on teamspeak with them they would have declared the game shit and moved on.

"Learn the map"

How can you learn the map when you have a limited time to find food/water and no way to defend yourself? Viper's respose of "find where you are on the map" doesn't help because YOU DON"T SPAWN WITH A FUCKING MAP.

I know where to go because I've put in a ton of hours. I know if you hit up a barn from the get-go you'll probably score a shotgun or a CZ if you're lucky. I know where Kamenka and Berezino are. New people have no clue and have no way to find out.

The learning curve for new players to the ARMA engine with this mess on top is nearly insurmountable. I can see where the OP is coming from. My friend and I have talked a few guys into picking the game up' date=' and if it wasn't for us 2 veterans on teamspeak with them they would have declared the game shit and moved on.

"Learn the map"

How can you learn the map when you have a limited time to find food/water and no way to defend yourself? Viper's respose of "find where you are on the map" doesn't help because YOU DON"T SPAWN WITH A FUCKING MAP.

I know where to go because I've put in a ton of hours. I know if you hit up a barn from the get-go you'll probably score a shotgun or a CZ if you're lucky. I know where Kamenka and Berezino are. New people have no clue and have no way to find out.

[/quote']

Yep, as it's the mods fault for people expecting something like Arma to be simple and easy to understand, let alone a modification like Day Z.

I have to agree with most of this. Especially the part about going inland. Some guy on a global chat server told me to go inland to look for weapons and when I went inland I got lost for a really long time. Until I stumbled upon the NWA and I stepped onto the airstrip and got sniped.

Veterans of DayZ usually don't get the fact that a noob has no idea where any of the places are. And even if they know the coast few know the inland area.

"Learn the map"

Single player -> Mission editor, come on please. You can explore at leisure the whole damn country from the comfort of a car or helicopter without being harrased by noobs, bandits and zeds.

Arma (and its predecessor OFP) have never been easy. And DayZ makes it even a bit harder, because it is a unlimited duration mission without an clear Blufor vs Opfor, there is no goal other than to survive as long as possible.

Tons of loot won't save you from a lucky noob with a Macaroni, and that's not the fault of the noob.

I have to agree with most of this. Especially the part about going inland. Some guy on a global chat server told me to go inland to look for weapons and when I went inland I got lost for a really long time. Until I stumbled upon the NWA and I stepped onto the airstrip and got sniped.

Veterans of DayZ usually don't get the fact that a noob has no idea where any of the places are. And even if they know the coast few know the inland area.

The first week I played I was lost the entire week, people would ask me where I was and I would have no clue at all other than being in a forest.

AND IT WAS REALLY GREAT!

So great that I'm still playing.

New players of DayZ usually don't get the fact that a veteran has been in the exact same position (alright, minus being weapon-less but that's not a big deal), being lost for a week and eventually learning the map is part of the game.

Just like getting gear, once you learn the good spawns and how to best avoid players in the area it's much easier.

If this game wasn't as hard, as brutal, and as unforgiving as it is, I wouldn't have felt as amazed and as celebratory when I hit day one. I spent the next 8 hours getting my ass handed to me by overwhelming hordes while showing a friend the ropes. When I stood proudly atop a mound of dead zombies with 2 empty weapons, I had about 2 seconds of pride before an AKM round slammed into me.

My stupid mistake had been using voice chat to say what town I was in, and a couple of bandits took the time to come kill me. At least they wasted 6 rounds on my friend and I.

There is only one thing in this game that will kill you: making a dumb-ass mistake. It's gonna happen, and your score is how long you can go without making a fatal one. After my first day 1 life, I died rapid-fire to stupid mistakes until I finally got a character past the 4 hour mark. I was running through a forest laughing like a madman and clutching my precious matches. I sprinted out of town into the woods paranoid as fuck that I'd hear a CRACK! and then see "You are Dead." Gonna cook me some cow i killed with a hatchet, but first I had to log out to lower my paranoia to a less debilitating level.

The first week I played I was lost the entire week' date=' people would ask me where I was and I would have no clue at all other than being in a forest.

AND IT WAS REALLY GREAT!

So great that I'm still playing.

New players of DayZ usually don't get the fact that a veteran has been in the exact same position (alright, minus being weapon-less but that's not a big deal), being lost for a week and eventually learning the map is part of the game.

Just like getting gear, once you learn the good spawns and how to best avoid players in the area it's much easier.

[/quote']

That's not true. People are coming to play just DayZ specifically. I played the crap out of Red Harvest so I know all about chernarus anyways way before DayZ was started. People just showing up for the DayZ mod have never seen chernarus before.

However' date=' I have to give OP some credit. As it is, the game DOES have an extremely sharp learning curve. First, you have the curve to learn ArmA 2's controls and mechanics (even with the tutorials). Then, you have the curve of figuring out what the hell to do - where are the danger zones, what's the "just died, no gear" strategy?

I've managed to jump the curve through excessive research (anyone else watch Nooby's Misadventures?) and wikiwalking prior to playing, but should hours of Youtube/wiki studies be necessary to play the mod without frustration?

Sure, the OP's a noob whose argument comes off as whiny and juvenile, but we have to ask - is DayZ really too hard on newcomers, like he says?

[/quote']

Some help text on the map screen might help easing players into DayZ. Even if you have no map you can still read the mission notes/briefing (once one is added).

Having just a few pointers would be really helpful, especially interaction dynamics differing from vanilla ArmA 2 (right clicking stuff in the gear menu instead of having stuff in the action menu, for example, that took me a while to notice).

I started playing today. I played for many hours. I didn't die once.

This game will probably have a tutorial one day...but I'm not aware of any Alpha releases that ever have. It was my belief that a reasonable person would recognize that when a game advertises it is an unfinished product and in a very early testing phase that it will be unpolished. Said game might not coddle you or hold your hand...especially this one. That said, rather than coming here to bitch, perhaps you should have come here before you spent the afternoon pissing yourself off.

Honestly, during the testing process, I wouldn't want a bunch of "NOOBS" in the servers. They can play when the game goes gold.

It's not impossible, just very hard, which is good! If it was to easy, what would be the point of playing it? The whole challenge of this game is surviving and the more difficult the more fun in my opinion. I've died countless times over the last few days, but I'm learning from my mistakes and I'm not moaning about it.

I'm going to ignore most of your post because it's mainly just whining without offering any constructive criticism but to the "this is too hard and I'm not able to learn the basic mechanics" argument, I'd just like to point out that Arma has a whole bunch of tutorials and ways you can learn the mechanics without ANY threat whatsoever from zombies or other players.

That's right... Arma! You know, that game you bought that this is a mod for. Have you even tried playing it? Seriously... give the tutorials a shot and if you still can't say you don't understand the mechanics then I would say it's got nothing to do with failures of the mod.

It's not impossible' date=' just very hard, which is good! If it was to easy, what would be the point of playing it? The whole challenge of this game is surviving and the more difficult the more fun in my opinion. I've died countless times over the last few days, but I'm learning from my mistakes and I'm not moaning about it.

[/quote']

Survival is impossible without SIGNIFICANT preemptive knowledge, and not the type of knowledge one gets from either trial and error in the game, or from knowledge of real world survivalism. The process of sneaking by zombies is very spastic, it's a difficult and delicate dance, the punishment for failure is either death or at least a LONG LONG run (which makes you vulnerable in a lot of other ways), and a good majority of areas it isn't really worth sneaking by zombies. You just kind of have to know what areas there's actually a chance of spawning actually valuable loot.

So ya, revise your statement. This game isn't impossible to play from a fresh spawn, but it is impossible to accomplish anything meaningful for "noobs". You effectively at LEAST have to research the surrounding areas of the spawn locations in order to make any realistic progress in any reliable way. That is NOT a realistic expectation for a "noob".

For those who are too stupid to get started:

DayZ [Tutorial] looting electro bare handed [1/2]

And because those are too stupid - there is part two.

Survival is impossible without SIGNIFICANT preemptive knowledge' date=' and not the type of knowledge one gets from either trial and error in the game, or from knowledge of real world survivalism. The process of sneaking by zombies is very spastic, it's a difficult and delicate dance, the punishment for failure is either death or at least a LONG LONG run (which makes you vulnerable in a lot of other ways), and a good majority of areas it isn't really worth sneaking by zombies. You just kind of have to know what areas there's actually a chance of spawning actually valuable loot.

So ya, revise your statement. This game isn't impossible to play from a fresh spawn, but it is impossible to accomplish anything meaningful for "noobs". You effectively at LEAST have to research the surrounding areas of the spawn locations in order to make any realistic progress in any reliable way. That is NOT a realistic expectation for a "noob".

[/quote']

I don't get where you're coming from to be honest. To say it's impossible to accomplish anything for new players is ridiculous. I'm new, and I'd say I've accomplished some pretty cool things. You don't walk into a game and expect everything to be laid out on a plate for you.

Haven't read the OP, just replying to the title.

GOOD

The game was made to be a HARD simulator.

How do you even get detected by zombies? They're dumb as sh**.

You can crouch behind them and walk 50 miles around them and they still don't see you.

Come on, Man, Even if the starting Makarov has been taken out, you can still survive.

I respect that the game is a bit TOO hard as it is, since newbs like me don't really get along with the aiming, and the engine of the game.

But it's no reason to just give up and make a massive fu**-fest in the forums.

The only place where you should be pissed off is in game, where you can actually shoot people.

lol he calls them stupid, then tells them to go to electro. wow. A winner is you.

This is truly a difficult game. It's not an arcade shooter. You have to learn stuff the hard way. If you don't have the patience to learn you will not have good time in this game. It's good you got this out of your system, so now you should watch a few quick tutorials on how to move in a populated city without a gun. I'm not an veteran, but I used my time to practice on how to do stuff and now I have a plan whenever I die and respawn. I do according my plan, and get good stuff fast and then have fun.

Remember, this is supposed to be played with a parter. It's really frustrating to play alone and you will not do good that way.

lol he calls them stupid' date=' then tells them to go to electro. wow. A winner is you.

[/quote']

So you say I should go to NWAF emtly ? You are great !

lol he calls them stupid' date=' then tells them to go to electro. wow. A winner is you.

[/quote']

So you say I should go to NWAF emtly ? You are great !

Are your parents related by chance?

Do you know how many deer stands/whole towns are between the coast and NWA?

You obviously don't know...

I love how when a game is hard people cry and when they make it easier you cry too easy just don't play there are other games for you don't ruin it for the rest of us who like a challenge

I've noticed a lot of the encounters i had were mainly kiddies with large firepower.

Like untrained soldiers with big toys

Let the noobs swarm to the game so i can teach them a lesson.