Sign in to follow this  
Death By Crowbar

Staying warm...

Oddly since I posted this I managed to find a gear setup that, so long as I'm energized, hydrated, and healthy AND I keepp running seems to keep me from getting a cold status. It's basically Gorka (jacket, pants), Military boots, ballistic helmet, tactical vest (forget which), gloves, etc - all pristine except 1 or 2 are worn. This is on my 1pp char, so maybe the server I happen to play is not as cold as where I normally play in 3pp... I wish there was a way to tell the servers settings.

Staying warm is easy and I haven't had a problem doing so on any of my characters. Never had to make a fire before. All you need is a combination of clothes that would obviously keep you warm in the cold. Rain coats, hunter pants, any hat is enough to do the trick.

Hhhmmm, 2 hours, not bad, not bad at all.

So, for me it was 2 times, when I reach condition, when internal self-warming compensates external cooling, and stay warm indefinitely, regardless weather/rain/wind/whatever.

Both times it took about 12 hours from new fresh spawn, too long for my liking.

For you it was just 2 hours, huge difference. So its not time alone.

Its not just clothes combo, I was dressed similar, and still suffered from cold freezing.

Ultimate goal is of course to put it blindly under 15 min    ha ) lol

After some heavy thinking/drinking, I do have some suggestion about this condition, I'd like validate a few things, before narrowing it down.

Now questions:

- How long did you stay near you last fireplace, before compensation takes place?

- Do you know, what was your body temperature right after leaving fireplace?

- What cooling/warming messages did you see, if any?

I spawned near Kamyshovo, found burlap sac and rope, crafted a courier bag, then looted the town, found a down jacket quite quickly but I kept having "I'm promptly cooling off".

Went as fast as I could, but not running, to Elektro, went to the fire station, found 2 handguns (no mags) and a firefighter axe (bd), then went to the power plant where I found a ZSh3 Pilot Helmet.

After that I went to Cap Golova, to take some water at the well nearby, there I encountered a fresh spawn, didn't wasted my time talking with him and to avoid a trap in case he had his friends waiting for him in Cherno I took it north around Pik Kozlova in order to have a better view of the plains of Prigorodki. Then told myself "Fuck I have nothing to lose", cut trough the plains and arrived north of Cherno, there I looted the houses in the suburbs of Cherno, went downtown, had to fight a few Zs, then went to the hospital but I found nothing of interest (except a bd first aid kit).

I decided to head north to Dubky, where 3 guys intercepted me, played the idiot, doing the friendly dance, didn't wanted to use the mic because I knew these guys were bored and just looking for some fun so I took the first opportunity to leave, they started to shot at me with their M4, one of them "Shot his legs", I made the longest sprint of my life in DayZ up to south of Nadezhdino where I had a little break to feed myself and drink all the things I found before in order to be ready for my trip to NWAF.

All that time I had the "I promptly cooling off", "I'm freezing" alternating messages. Went through the woods up to Rogovo then through the fields up to Veresnik where I found my SKS but nothing else of interest. Then went straight ahead to NWAF not giving a shit if someone could shot me or not. Thankfully no one insight in NWAF, but the place was quite empty, yet I managed to find the TTsKO jacket and Gorka Autumn pants in pristine condition and a green mountain backpack as well as a Makarov and two mags, a pristine firefighter axe, pristine military boots, worn UK camo vest and a worn ballistic helmet. From that moment I only have the "I'm slightly cooling off" messages. I never had to start a fire. I found a thermometer but didn't picked it up.

Sorry for the long story, but I thought it would help you understand that I didn't cared too much about my temperature, I told myself "If I die, I don't give a shit, maybe I'll be lucky and spawn in Vybor". My idea was to just find enough things not to die of hypothermia in the next few minutes and make it to the NWAF in order to find the military gear I had prior to 0.49. I really had a goal in mind, I didn't started to turn in circles going here and there, I knew what I wanted to achieve and I decided to go "All in". I worked, I'm alive.

I spawned near Kamyshovo, ....

Hi, thank you so very very much. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Some bits fit very nicely in what of my suggestion about this compensating condition.

However some not, which effectively means its wrong.

My problem is, thats whats working for other players, not working for me, even I have very similar clothes setup, and bright green on food/water/energy/blood/health.

So there is something still missing from my attention, something I am doing wrong, or not doing/have.

Thats why I am still carrying shit load of crap, 2 axes, stone, books, parers, whole nine yards, to make fires to warm up.

In current build, carrying weight is not a thing yet, so it should not matter, I think, I may be wrong about this too.

Bottom line, squire one, so please let me make some additional experiments, I will report it if find out something interesting.

Thanks again for a very good detailed story.

I really don t know mate, i saw that video about temperature as everyone did when 0.49 was on exp. But since then i haven t found any trustable documentation about temperature. Right now i just stick to my clothing combination because i don t need fire to keep warm. Any accurate and not too outdated litterature about temp available somewhere?

I think you're right, I was always "I am cold" until I stop running, then "I am shaking"...Start running again, "I am cold".  I think running has a small, but noticable effect on your temperature.

I think you're right, I was always "I am cold" until I stop running, then "I am shaking"...Start running again, "I am cold".  I think running has a small, but noticable effect on your temperature.

"I am cold","I am shaking" - both messages are for Light (?) Hypothermia Temperature level, so it no matter, which one you see.

Both for the same light brown (beige?) color of cold for your status in inventory.

Next are "I am freezing"  for Medium (?) Hypothermia (brown?), and "I am hypothermic" next for Heavy/Severe (?) Hypothermia (crimson red?).

Thats how I died many times, so I know first hand/nose/heart.   Sad face from experience.

Running, clothes, wetness, body temperature, air temperature, wind speed, map elevation - all seems have noticeable effect.

Rain however does not, it affects your wetness, and not affect you directly.

Messages "I am slowly cooling off" "I am cooling off" "I am promptly cooling off" "I am rapidly cooling off" are not messages for any level of Hypothermia,

and just cooling process messages, without messages "I am cold","I am shaking" and  light brown status "Cold" (or worse) - you are fine.

The entire system is bugged. Even getting warm by the fire is bugged and sometimes you have to log out/in for the effect process to take place. No servers are warmer than others.

Puffy coats and P coats work sporadically. There is no guide or system to stay warm in a bugged environment.