Sign in to follow this  
gregthegangster

Extreme lag as soon as I get to the menu of the game with a £2000 computer

Hey guys, today I've literally been through hell trying to get this game working on my MacBook Pro.

I've basically gone out & bought Windows 8, created a partition on my hardrive (of my MacBook Pro) & installed it into that partition using Apples 'Bootcamp assistant'. After installing the operating system I also loaded the drivers which were given to me by Apples 'Bootcamp assistant'.

I now have the game on the Windows 8 (on my MacBook) which is a £2000 machine... I have got to the menu & experienced extreme lag to the point where I've even managed to turn down all my video settings & it is still lagging a lot despite my high-end computer hardware - here is my computer http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MGXC2B/A&step=config#

I have tried running the game on this website http://www.systemrequirementslab.com & everything is great but it says I don't have the required 512MB of video RAM... It says I have 256MB. This is complete bullshit? I believe I have 2GB of GDDR5 video RAM. It also says that my graphics card is called 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'. So I believe this is where the issue lies. My theory is for some reason one of the drivers which I have installed which was given to me by the Bootcamp assistant is messing with me.

This is literally all the information I can possibly provide, does anybody know how I could fix this?

Thanks you!

The Engine this game uses is very CPU intensive and im afraid 2.0 GHz doesn't cut it very well.

The Engine this game uses is very CPU intensive and im afraid 2.0 GHz doesn't cut it very well.

Are you sure? I went out today to buy Windows 8 for this game thinking I would have no problems what so ever with my hardware. I don't think that's the problem to be honest with you. I have 2.3 Ghz but it also says 'You Have: 2.3 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.29 GHz'; heres my results from systemrequirementslab http://tinypic.com/r/2zqyffd/8

Edited by GregTheGangster

Also it's not like my whole computer lags to shit when I've loaded the game, if I load the game in windowed mode my computer is just as fast as it usually is loading other applications & stuff.

I just downloaded it on one of my older laptops that runs at 2.3 GHz and I play it fine.. So yeah I'm guessing that's not the issue. 

I just downloaded it on one of my older laptops that runs at 2.3 GHz and I play it fine.. So yeah I'm guessing that's not the issue. 

That's what I mean, there really shouldn't be a problem with my hardware. I'm using a really, high-end machine that graphics designers & stuff use. My hunch is this 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' interfering with something as when I run my system requirements ( http://tinypic.com/r/2zqyffd/8 ) it has his text 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' replaced where my graphics card should be. I looked up 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' & it seems to be a driver http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653353(v=vs.85).aspx.

Is it possible your MacBook does conflict in one way or the other with your Windows 8 installation? Like not using parts of the hardware?

Edited by Evil Minion

Is it possible your MacBook does conflict in one way or the other with your Windows 8 installation? Like not using parts of the hardware?

That's what I've guessed from reading the report from systemrequirementslab but surely that can't be the case... I really don't know, but the game isn't even playable.

It's just a proper joke, I've spent loads of money on the OS/other things & spent about 6 hours dicking about with 1 problem after another. I finally get the game downloaded & stuff & it lags like this.

Lol has Mac, and a laptop Mac at that and doesn't understand why he cant run the game well.

Dont get Macs, they are overpriced. a 2000 Dollar Mac is like a 400 dollar PC

• Like 2

Lol has Mac, and a laptop Mac at that and doesn't understand why he cant run the game well.

Dont get Macs, they are overpriced. a 2000 Dollar Mac is like a 400 dollar PC

Did you look at the tinypic link? It says everything is good & it's only the game that lags, nothing else on my machine does.

I've noticed in my video settings that my 'interface resolution* is 2880*1800*32 shouldn't it be 1440*900? It doesn't give me an option to change it though only to windowed mode

http://tinypic.com/r/258t75x/8 This cant be normal surely ?

Here's the extra kick in the balls with the ArmA engine : turning graphics settings down shifts the rendering load to the CPU.

Which would be okay if you had a decent CPU, but you don't...

Here's the extra kick in the balls with the ArmA engine : turning graphics settings down shifts the rendering load to the CPU.

Which would be okay if you had a decent CPU, but you don't...

I do have a decent CPU.... You just read '2.3Ghz & 2.8Ghz' then make your assumption. It says there that my CPU performs at 5.29Ghz & it scores in the top 84th percentile for CPU's tested. Also were looking at the recommended requirements not the minimum.

I do have a decent CPU.... You just read '2.3Ghz & 2.8Ghz' then make your assumption. It says there that my CPU performs at 5.29Ghz & it scores in the top 84th percentile for CPU's tested. Also were looking at the recommended requirements not the minimum.

I apologise but he's right, you don't meet the minimum requirements which state Intel HD 4000 graphics with 512Mb VRAM. At any rate if you're thinking of buying a game and want it to run smoothly you should always make sure that you're above the recommended specs, nevermind the minimum. In most cases the min. specs refer to the specs needed to run the game at all without receiving an error message of some kind and it refusing to open.

Also a 2.8Ghz CPU that performs at 5.29Ghz also doesn't make sense, that's some kind of mistake on the part of the site. They don't make CPUs that run at 5Ghz as stock at this point and to overclock a CPU that high you generally need water-cooling in a well ventilated desktop build. You simply couldn't run a laptop at that speed, it would melt. My CPU, for example, is clocked to 3.4Ghz as stock and I'm running at 4.5Ghz with an aftermarket cooler that I bought and I don't think I'll be pushing it any further than this without switching to water cooling. I don't think overclocking from 2.8Ghz to 5.3Ghz would be possible without liquid nitrogen. xD

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 1

I got an 6+ years old PC still with the stock CPU running at 3.0 Ghz, how the hell did you spend £2000 and get a 2.8 Ghz CPU???? Also set your 3D resolution to the same resolution as your monitor, if I read your screenshot right you're currently trying to render the game at twice your monitor's resolution which should be 1440x900, a standard 16:10 monitor resolution. That's obviously your problem right there.

Edited by EchoZeero

I got an 6+ years old PC still with the stock CPU running at 3.0 Ghz, how the hell did you spend £2000 and get a 2.8 Ghz CPU???? 

S7uIpWM.png?1

Edited by Rags