Sign in to follow this  
Sistinas1973

Are these weather effects a bit too much?

I think the problem some of you guys are having is that you're expecting clothing alone to make you warm. That's not going to happen unless you get a down jacket and those are terrible in the rain. To get warm what you need to do is get fully energized. Once you're energized, you'll produce more body heat and you'll actually start warming up. I've laid down in two fires with dark orange hungry and not been able to get rid of my hypothermia, but once people brought me some food I started getting better right away. Fires are a great way to get your heat up once you're well fed if it starts to drop into freezing, but food is the ideal way to stay warm. If you're well fed and you have a coat or a gorka top you're going to be perfectly fine. Don't even worry about being cold, just keep yourself from freezing. You can run around wet and cold all the time and as long as you're fed you're rarely going to drop down into freezing. If you do, just make a fire and warm up for a little while.

I'd say it even seems as though they've dialed things back a bit in the past few days.

Edited by albinoclock
  • Like 1

Hypothermia definitely needs to be toned down a bit...  It's not like it's below freezing.  It's not snowing on a regular basis and bodies of water aren't frozen over.  Yea, you'd probably be as chilled as you have ever been if you get soaked and its chilly out, but sprinting around and swinging weapons constantly would counter at least a small amount of that.  

I have regrettably had the misfortune of riding a motorcycle in below freezing weather in a T-shirt and shorts for almost an hour.  I'm obviously not dead from that experience, but I can say I would never be stupid enough to let that happen again...  The human body is extremely resilient to temperature fluctuation. 

According to issue #0017389 "Only Vilayer hosted servers handling temperature effects properly since 0.49 server stability update" you can see in the bug reporting forum it's a problem tied to several (all?) servers not hosted by Vilayer. I don't know if Vilayer-hosted servers truly have a working temperature system (it's two days I'm searching for one and I can't find them), but yesterday I tested several other servers and I can confirm that regardless of clothing (full pristine, fully clothed with warm items), regardless of character status (full green healthy/hydratated/energized status) and regardless of weather the temperature drops steadily the second you log in, going down until it hits hypotermia. The only way to slightly warm the character is run A LOT; the only way to warm the character effectively is lighting a fire, but leaving it means a quick drop in temperature and the downward spiral towards hypotermia starts again.

The bug is classified with an "assigned" status, so apparently the developers are aware there's a problem and are working on it.

Post scriptum: what the hell, why this issue and many other important problems have so few votes? Where on hell are all the players? That's an alpha, we're supposed to test things. Why people don't register on the DayZ Bug Tracker and contribute to the development?!

Edited by DocWolf

Yea, I'm glad they are adding weather effects to survival but it seems like as soon as you get cold.....your doomed to die.

90% of the time it's raining so that doesn't help. Since they added this feature, all my deaths have been due to hypothermia. I've clothed up and even worn rain coats and down jackets. Also trying to just get indoors before "hypothermia" sets in and waiting it out. But that doesn't have any effect. I know making a fire will combat the effects but most of the time I don't or can't find the materials to make a fire IN TIME. I'm finding it hard to see the point in continuing once "cold" "wet" "I'm freezing" set in. It just becomes futile to continue at that point.

I am 100% with you mate. Rain affects you a bit too extremely. I am orienteerer and sometimes it rains and I run in the woods for an hour, sometimes even more and even then I dont get cold. I usually wear VERY light clothes, but in DayZ you can wear hat, jacket, cargo pants, vest, boots and still while you are running you get cold when it rains.

They're just testing the values for now I bet, the absurd rate of cold/wet/hunger states setting in is not going to be in the final product any more than our ability to sprint across the entire map with no problems. No one dies from 20 minutes in the rain. We're alpha testing so they want to see the effects pop up quicker.

Pretty much this.