Maarten (DayZ)

Why did you shoot me.

I will also add that the game was A LOT more fun when people actually did group up. Now it's just arma with shitty weapons and a hunger bar. Oh yeah, and those zombie things, too.

I will also add that the game was A LOT more fun when people actually did group up. Now it's just arma with shitty weapons and a hunger bar. Oh yeah' date=' and those zombie things, too.

[/quote']

People stopped grouping up? That's kind of terrifying because that means I have no idea who these 6 guys are that keep following me around giving me things and shooting at my enemies with me.

Must be some kind of glitch. I guess they'll fix it in the next patch and I'll realize I've been alone this whole time.

This is a military simulator engine running a zombie simulator mod. Not a military game on a zombie game mod. Therefore real world tactics apply. This is an apocalypse. You should be treating the zombies as a threat and the players as a high priority threat. In a real world zombie apocalypse you would not shout friendly, don't shoot. Why? because the world is full of arseholes who would kill you because that's one more mouth to feed if they group up with you at the very least, and if they let you go they don't know if you will find a weapon and stalk them. Look at the walking dead at that bar scene. That is how 99 pct of ppl will be in a real apocalypse. If you are dying over and over you know EXACTLY how long you'd survive in a real apocalypse.

Yes, I know that this is a game, but that doesn't change the fact that it is set up for a real life situation like this. You have to treat your one life as if it is your one life in real life.

So, on that note, here are some tactics that I use to survive in DayZ against players.

1- NEVER announce/reveal your position

2- ALWAYS assume the other player is an enemy unless you know them irl

3- Let players pass without them noticing you if at all possible. Why get yourself into a crappy situation when you could avoid it.

4- Even when you do group up with a random always assume if you are point you are a hostage. Even if you have a weapon.

5- If being shot do not waste time lying down, crouch running, crying over the mic or chat. JUST RUN!!!! Zig zag, get cover, GTFO!!!!!!

My personal feeling on the pking in dayz, is without it, the mod would never get my heart pounding. The zeds are too easy to ditch, they don't scare me at all. But I see a player my heart immediately starts beating faster. He comes my way and it's like I'm actually there. The adrenalin kicks in, I start shaking from excitement/nerves, it's by far the most intense feeling I've had in a video game since my first nuke in MW2. Because I know he could end my run with one bullet.

Yeah, I just kill them first and save the trouble now. But it was much, much more fun when people cooperated.

Groups of people are usually actually safer than individual people since one guy can't take out a whole crew. Even if he manages to kill two of four the remaining two will stay there and the respawned will get their stuff back uninterrupted. Just gotta keep that one player always in front of you :)

Oh the COD kid phrase. Really nice' date=' thumbs up. Never heard that yet.

[/quote']

Yeah' date=' I just kill them first and save the trouble now. But it was much, much more fun when people cooperated.

[/quote']

I bet you own all of the COD titles even though they have been the same game since MW1.

I've only been playing DayZ for a week or so, but I've learned real fast what the game world is like. Yesterday I stumbled upon three guys prone on a tree line looking out. I went prone and crawled up behind them.

A week ago I would have introduced myself to them. Maybe tried to team up with them. Perhaps traded some supplies. Now I know they would have shot me for doing that. It sucks. As I crouched there with my Winchester pointed at the back of their heads, I silently wished that we could have been friends. And then I killed them all.

Feels bad, man.

Oh the COD kid phrase. Really nice' date=' thumbs up. Never heard that yet.

[/quote']

Yeah' date=' I just kill them first and save the trouble now. But it was much, much more fun when people cooperated.

[/quote']

I bet you own all of the COD titles even though they have been the same game since MW1.

Call of duty 1, 2 and 3 where all the same since MW1?

DAT LOGIC.

I've only been playing DayZ for a week or so' date=' but I've learned real fast what the game world is like. Yesterday I stumbled upon three guys prone on a tree line looking out. I went prone and crawled up behind them.

A week ago I would have introduced myself to them. Maybe tried to team up with them. Perhaps traded some supplies. Now I know they would have shot me for doing that. It sucks. As I crouched there with my Winchester pointed at the back of their heads, I silently wished that we could have been friends. And then I killed them all.

Feels bad, man.

[/quote']

Don't feel bad. Think about it in real world logic. If this was real life you probably wouldn't have been able to get away from them safely, plus you would know three people are behind you and that's reason enough to not sleep at night. And if they were thinking tactically at all they would have had a 360 field of view on their surroundings. Three people looking in the same direction deserve to die. That's just stupid. I have never understood the "I wanna see toooooo" logic of some people. In a group of three you have one man looking forward and more left, scanning the horizon. Middle man watches directly right and a little forward. Back guy is looking back and to his right, the point man's left. One man has a limited field of view. Three men have a 360 degree field of view almost continually. You should not have been able to sneak up on them. Their stupidity got them killed and you probably taught them a valuable lesson. And if they did have a designated rear guard that guy probably got reamed out hahaha.

I know but the behaviour of individuals is created by the mod because there is no reward for teamplay

Hogwash. It's built on a military simulator. The entire game is specifically designed to award tactical team play.

Incentives to cooperative play are quite numerous and more are coming.

However' date=' that's irrelevant to the topic of "PK." Team play will not reduce PvP. Teams will simply kill other teams and solo players. In fact, I predict an increase in murder rates as team play becomes more prevalent for the simple fact that teams are more effective killing machines.

Carry on.

[/quote']

So the issue is lack of things to do once geared besides killing.

me and my brother patroled today on LU48 in elektro shotting the bad guys and helping the unarmed survivors.

newspawns i never kill. so there are not just assholes outthere.

overthink your playstyle again.

i often get killed by nervous noobs which dont trust me or want my gear but thats worth it. i feel so good if i can make someones game easier.

but if someone shoots at me (if i give him a chance) then i fire back.

i got like 100 h now in dayz and i just shoot 2 as first on sight. they were a big threat.

never give up your defense or get cocky.

My group shoots people for sport. We seldom come across survivors who have gear as good as ours. We've already bested what the mod has to offer and now we've chosen to hunt people instead.

Brutal and unfair? Yes. Psychopathic? No, it's a game. Go outside.

My group shoots people for sport. We seldom come across survivors who have gear as good as ours. We've already bested what the mod has to offer and now we've chosen to hunt people instead.

Brutal and unfair? Yes. Psychopathic? No' date=' it's a game. Go outside.

[/quote']

Dicks and griefers? yes... also dayz isn't meant to be played like a game but like a sim.

Brutal and unfair? Yes. Psychopathic? No' date=' it's a game. Go outside.

[/quote']

Dicks and griefers? yes... also dayz isn't meant to be played like a game but like a sim.

It's a sandbox. It's not MEANT to be played any particular way

I kill people for sport too. Nothing else to do once you reach your goals...

What is ruining the game is the disconnect exploit to avoid death. That shit is lame.

In my first few weeks, I've killed two players, and that was in self-defense. And it's been really fun helping and being helped by strangers, (especially those Kiwis with their crazy-cool accents) but:

The threat of being surprise attacked & potentially killed by other players, without a built-in safety net, is a very, very important part of this mod.

And being able to rapidly log out and/or server bounce needs to be removed, YESTERDAY!

I've been playing the game for about 8 weeks I think. At first I was playing solo and having a ton of fun just trying to survive in the DayZ world. Everything was new and fresh. Going North/inland was a major rush not knowing what was there and learning to survive as a lone wolf. Avoid others when possible, be cautious and aware at all times, and if confronted by another player try and have the upper hand.

About 2 weeks into playing I teamed up with some great guys. Our collective experience and varied playstyles allowed us to thrive easily. Equipment became easy to get and other players were something to be hunted for what they had instead of avoided.

Now though getting gear isn't even a problem anymore. Even without tents/vehicles, inside of 3-4 hours, we can have what most people consider high-end gear just because of our experience in knowing where to find the gear or how to hunt people that have it. None of this involves exploits, cheats, or hacks. It all comes down to teamwork and experience.

At this point what is there for us to do really? We usually run 3-8 deep in a group. Not many players/groups can take us when we play tryhard mode unless it is a large, organized clan or hacker. Lately, we have taken to hunting snipers around the coast that are killing newbies, though admittedly there is collateral damage sometimes as we have a couple trigger happy folks. Some of our group have taken to just playing recklessly and not caring about surviving as they find starting without gear to be more of a challenge than actually trying to survive. Once geared, they go back to the coast looking for the newbie killers not caring if they die in the process.

My point is that the only real challenge in Dayz for us is other players. The infected never even factor into anything we do anymore unless it is as an indication there are other players about. Sure we could set-up a reinforced area and defend it, but server hopping totally negates any defenses we could create so why bother. Hunting other players is the only challenge left in the game.

What is ruining the game is the disconnect exploit to avoid death. That shit is lame.

Its only lame for the POS bandits.

...What is ruining the game is the disconnect exploit to avoid death. That shit is lame.

You don't really believe that, do you? D/c'ing to avoid death goes against everything around which this game is built. It's adding exactly the kind of feature I believe Rocket wanted to avoid.

And I am NOT a bandit. I'm the opposite. Hell, I even try to "bury" all my infected kills, as they deserve a proper burial, after all their suffering. (And it helps survival to not leave a trail of evidence.:angel: )

- Don't creep up on people.

- If you want to get in contact with someone, do it from a distance. The farther away you are, the less they'll see you as a threat.

- Don't try to befriend people with gear less good than yours, or way better than yours.

- Stay away from people that are not giving a crap about moving silently.

- Stay away from groups that don't use the ingame communication system.

Rocket disagrees. That shit is lame and will be fixed eventually. Just a matter of time...

People who play this game on the philosophy "shoot on sight" are simply bad players. Any half decent player knows this and doesn't have to spend ages rambling about why, it's just obvious.

The only exception being roleplaying as someone who's an asshole, like Northernlion did.

There's nothing wrong with high levels of caution, or murdering when in desperate need of food or water. Camping around cities killing people simply because you own a shotgun, that's the sort of thing the mod creators will have to crack down on. These will be the kind of players who will be actively removed from the game.

Camping around cities killing people simply because you own a shotgun' date=' that's the sort of thing the mod creators will have to crack down on. These will be the kind of players who will be actively removed from the game.

[/quote']

This is never going to happen. Bandits will never be "removed" from the game.