Sign in to follow this  
agouti

Resting your weapon and Universal Bipods

I wonder if it would be possible to implement a sort of "resting" function in dayz. I've found in another game, no names mentioned, that shooting offhand is fairly inaccurate, but you can "rest" your weapon by either laying your hands on a windowsill, or bracing yourself against a doorway or tree. I feel this would make accurate fire possible, and add a level of realism to the game. Proning should somewhat "rest" your weapon with a bipod really adding to the accuracy. Also, why no clamp-on bipods for use with nearly every longarm, from the mosin to the sporter .22?

Also, shouldn't every weapon have the ability to have a bipod? Many after market bipods are simply drilled into the stock, use swivel studs, or other common methods. I feel this should require a screwdriver or some tool to accomplish, but other than that, why shouldn't every rifle potentially have the ability to take a bipod? 

Main points: Resting Rifles and Universal Bipods.

Side rant:

Maybe you aren't from a country where firearm ownership is permitted, but if you are, and you hunt, you know, I'm sure, just how common all of these after market parts are, from cheaper than dirt, cabela's, gander mountain, etc. Don't give me this anti-sniper crap. The mauser has been around for over 100 years and has proliferated the firearms market and is still used and sold today in the form of the remington 700 and other widely available hunting rifles. It's accurate, dependable, and reliable. I'm sorry, but in a post apocalyptic scenario, the basic mauser pattern hunting rifle would be very very common. Personally, I prefer repeating rifles, but this doesn't make my point any less valid.

Resting rifles would be nice - however it has to be implemented in a way that feels right. Might come with a "not able to stick your weapon inside/through walls" feature - the rifle is rested if its just above such an obstacle.

Universal bipods... I am not sure if I understand correctly. Do you want a common bipod that can be used by every weapon)? I don't like this. As an attachment my opinion is there should be much more people using the weapon without. Also its not authentic to plug the same bipod on every weapon. Some of them (AK variants, different NATO rifles) might use the same model but for others you would need to find specific ones.

Having bipods for many weapons as opposed to just a few would be nice though - but they should come with some downsides (weight, cumbersome, bad for non-prone/rested positions). Though for some weapons (like most handguns) its just silly.

Are you familiar with how bipods work? 

This is a clamp on bipod.

31+y8CpTw3L.jpg

The clamp on bipod clamps onto the barrel of your rifle. Does your rifle have a barrel? Good! It can use a clamp on bipod!

But wait, what about more specialized form of bipods?

This is a swivel bipod.

SmallHarrisBipod.jpeg

It attaches to the stock by means of swivel studs.

887160.jpg

In order to attach swivel studs to attach the bipod, your rifle needs to have a stock. Does your rifle have a stock?

The mosin nagant, the ruger 10/22, and even the blaze, get this:

ALL HAVE STOCKS! OMG!

The best type of wrong people are the smarmy sounding ones. Barrel to bipod, the worst idea ever, terrible bipod is terrible.

And no the mosin cannot use that stud. The foreend to thin, you will touch the barrel, crack the wood after repeated firing or just horribly effected the accuracy anyway. Want to ruin a perfectly functioning mosin, drill that swivel into the wood. It's not plug and play.

As for you OP agreement! Give me bracing, drill/taps, rails or the ability to make brackets or loot em.

Edited by Trizzo

The best type of wrong people are the smarmy sounding ones. Barrel to bipod, the worst idea ever, terrible bipod is terrible.

And no the mosin cannot use that stud. The foreend to thin, you will touch the barrel, crack the wood after repeated firing or just horribly effected the accuracy anyway. Want to ruin a perfectly functioning mosin, drill that swivel into the wood. It's not plug and play.

As for you OP agreement! Give me bracing, drill/taps, rails or the ability to make brackets or loot em.

It's smarmy, not smary, and also, I'm OP.

Also, I would like to say again that I'm also very very interesting in a resting feature, and wouldn't like to focus solely on bipods.

That being said, yes, the clamp on bipods are terrible. However, the mosin is by no means a precision rifle and any marginal decrease in mechanical accuracy is far outweighed by the practical accuracy. However, keeping with this idea of terrible bipods, I would like to suggest:

Not the clamp on bipod, but the clip on bipod:

316Up1ZbjmL._SX450_.jpg

Also, the shooting sticks! A craftable item:

ShootingSticks115.jpg

That being said, yes you CAN attach a swivel studs on the mosin, you do it further to the hands than to the end of the barrel, like most other rifles.

2iqmwlx.jpg

Or you can put them through the sling mount.

30w9hdf.jpg

Here are more pics. Wow that one's ugly!

1gsk21.jpg

1fke86.jpg

Edited by agouti

I'm not disagreeing with you! Give us the authentic bits and pieces and I support it.

My mistake, thought there were two different people and not meaning anything too personal. If it came across that way sorry!

IMHO after market parts for a mosin is akin to polishing a turd. If you could somehow get a night force, bipod, compensatator all the bells and whistles, it's not going to anything for 60-70 year old mass produced battle rifle. I simply need to temper the reverence for the mosin nagant, people are OBSESSED.

I don't see the need for a universal bipod.

Bipods should be used in game sparingly to separate guns and to emphasize how versatile some weapon systems are.

The mosin is something of a turd.

However, not all mass produced battle rifles are crap. Even the mosin as a platform is capable of superb accuracy, just not the way it was done. The finns for example, made excellent mosins. The k98 and k31, made by the germans and swiss are wonderfully accurate rifles. When you decide upon an action for a bolt rifle (let's say you're building a hunting rifle for personal use), you're essentially stuck with either a mauser based action, an enfield based action, or a mosin based action (or some crazy exotic thing, I like my k31). I think the vast majority choose mauser based actions. In fact, I don't know of anybody who has made a custom rifle based on a mosin action, but I'm sure it's out there; the receiver is quite strong. Now, I own a mosin, and it's not that great. But if it's the only long range rifle I owned, I'd try to get the most out of it. As it stands, the mosin is currently the only long range rifle in the game.

Still though, even in the absence of universal bipods, I'd love to see the resting feature. That is the key point to this.