Sign in to follow this  
scriptfactory

After barricading, add trade windows

-- part, une, things i want in barricading (or, so entitled)

Barricading and door locks should be a focus, in my opinion. The following features would be great:

• Barricading: People should be able to lock doors and reinforce doors/windows.
  • Trading: Two people standing in front of a reinforced window should be able to see each others inventory. They should only be able to drag stuff into the other player's inventory; not take anything out of it.
  • Traps: We should also be able to make manual and automatic trigger-able traps to fuck up people trying to break into our shit.

-- part deux, game mechanics that would be cool (or, trying to be Rocket)

Other game mechanic suggestions:

• Walls should be unmovable, invincible and impenetrable for gameplay reasons. At least until the hacking situation is under control.
  • Locks/barricades should be pick-able/breakable but we should be able to make this take extremely long as a server/shard option (up to 30 minutes or an hour).

-- part trois, potential scenarios enabled by barricading (or, I've got 25 lighters on my dresser)

I feel these changes would add a great deal of depth to DayZ gameplay, especially on private shards. Here are some example scenarios that could happen if these options were added:

• There could be seasons where everything is super cold and you had to wear something heavy like the puffy jacket.
  • People could run stores from their house:
    • Need ammo or a weapon? Can't go to NWA because there are so many zombies there that it requires a clan to raid it? Better have some cigarettes or weed (i.e. universal currency) to trade for them.
  • You could trade the food you are growing in your in-door greenhouse to your neighbor in the neighboring house for seeds or gardening materials (i.e. universal currency generation):
    • Tobacco/weed could be grown and rolled with paper to make cigarettes/joints.
    • People would get robbed for their weed and cigarettes.
  • Towns could hire bounty hunters to patrol it looking for people that were trying to break into houses. They would get paid in weed and cigarettes if they caught someone trying to break into a house. Handcuff them and take them to the town clan/government and get paid in cigs.
  • Robbers would be could designated by red/dirty palms you get automatically showing the effort you need to use to break into a house. You could say, robbers are caught red-handed.
  • Citizens could pay the town government/clan in cigs or other resources for the money it takes to keep them safe.
  • Town governments could pay guards in cigs to kill (and steal all of the shit of) people that weren't paying their dues.

So many possibilites. I can't count any higher in French.

Id go for a "Trade Window" barricading option, with a low shelf to place items on. Only for immersion reasons, there should always be a risk. If you were trading through a window a guy could always slip a gun under and demand stuff or just shoot ya. The actuall opening for items could be tiny so the trader has the time to react if bandit tries something.

Unbreakable walls is cool (though it would be nice to be able to go through one with the right tools at some point). Picking locks would play into having the trade window aswell because ok so the A-hole shot you through the window, but he now has to pick the lock to get at your body.

I want them to give us the tools to create these situations, but as always....the chance for it to go horribly wrong :)

Id go for a "Trade Window" barricading option, with a low shelf to place items on. Only for immersion reasons, there should always be a risk. If you were trading through a window a guy could always slip a gun under and demand stuff or just shoot ya. The actuall opening for items could be tiny so the trader has the time to react if bandit tries something.

While my original idea was that we could just place the trade item in a shelf under the barricaded windows I guess this would end up with a lot of bugs (it IS DayZ). Instead, just being able to see the other person's trade window is a good balance, I feel. A person should always be able to shoot through the bottom (unbarricaded) part of the window, of course. Just not through the reinforced parts surrounding it. So you might take a bullet or two if a trade goes wrong but you could spring your traps to kill your attacker and patch yourself up. It adds a whole new strategic component to trading.

Unbreakable walls is cool (though it would be nice to be able to go through one with the right tools at some point).

I would love this to be a server option. Totally unbreakable walls would be an excellent feature for PvE/Roleplay shards but most hardcore servers would probably want to disable this option.

Thanks for the responses! :)