Chaingunfighter

AKS-74U confirmed... could this mean...? no...

What do you want  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What should,in your opinion, the developers add?

• The AKS-74U
    • The AKMSU
    • The Zastava M85
    • AKS-74U and AKMSU
    • AKS-74U and Zastava M85
    • AKMSU and Zastava M85
    • All three - Variety is key (Haha, bonus because it rhymes)
    • I'm not really affected by which they choose, I'm just glad they're adding one
    • I didn't want them to add any of these! Why would they even consider them, those vile, satanic developers!

Yeah that can be the case, I've mentioned it myself.

Would be very interesting to see the final weapon list for DayZ and then have some discussion about weapons.

I also think that it's safe to assume  DayZ will receive more weapons of which  some will be of western provenience.

In the end, Western (NATO) weapons are more prevalent thanks to many sovereign states that are part of it.

I would be very surprised if we did not get some Heckler&Koch assaul rifle like G36 and/or G3 of some sorts.

Also some variant of Enfield L85 would not be out of place. We got UK pattern assault vests to go with it nicely.

Steyr AUG that Austrian soldiers uses could come too, although Austria is not member of NATO (which surprised me tbh).

I guess nobody can argue with NATO being in Chernarus at some point. 

Maybe the only "friction" point is the question of rarity of those weapons, ammo and attachments.

Btw thanks for supporting vz.58. I know I'm a bit biased, so it's nice to see other folks like that old workhorse as well.

I'm in support of practically any weapon, but the SA Vz.58 is one of my favorite 7.62x39mm AK-Pattern rifles. It's not an AK variant but I can't find anything else to call it.

Like I said, I wouldn't place money on it being included because it's externally extremely similar to the AKM, especially when not firing. However, it'd definitely be my top choice for another 7.62 AK variant, contending for first with the AMD-65.

The G3 isn't really an assault rifle, it's a battle rifle, just with fairly low recoil compared to quite a few other BRs. Considering they were on the list the Chris Torchia and the other artists have been following they're a good candidate to be done because the devs have never actually taken weapons suggestions, they've just been somewhat conforming to what people are asking for as per what's on their list and mostly doing what they want.

Who actually cares, can we maybe get a burstfire weapon like M16 or AN-94? That would actually make a diffrence. Also sniperrifles that are actually equipped for real longrange shots without being forced to constantly fuck with your FoV, and actual machineguns.

AN-94 would be great but it requires 5.45x39mm ammunition, something not in game, that the AKS-74U could be a great pioneer of. That, and the AN-94 wouldn't perform too differently versus the AK-101, it just has the cool moving barrel and can fire 2-round bursts. The 74U would actually function as an SBR AK type.

An M16 or AR-15 with a 16' or 20' barrel I've wanted for awhile, but they could also do something like the G36 which has automatic, burst, and semi-automatic

I think they'd better fix fire selection before they do a burst-firing weapon anyway because I'd hate being forced to expend all two/three/four/whatever rounds whenever I fired.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

I vote none!

They need to add some type of "normal" hunting rifle and not another military weapon. Something like a .308 or 30-06. Make them available in barns and farm houses on rural areas.

I vote none!

They need to add some type of "normal" hunting rifle and not another military weapon. Something like a .308 or 30-06. Make them available in barns and farm houses on rural areas.

They just added the CR527, I'd say that's a fairly "normal" hunting rifle. We've also got the Rossi R92 and MP-133 shotgun coming, neither of which are strictly military.

Not to mention they confirmed the derringer in the same update.

So that's three civilian weapons and one military carbine, I don't see the problem. Nor do I see the problem with having military weapons anyway.

• Like 1

Had to give you beans even though that 5.56 part sounded bit like a bait.

Btw in British TV series "Strike back" dude were using this short Vz.58 quite a lot. I think it was that 5.56 version as well.

Haven't seen it in a while, but I'm marginally sure that Vz. 58 had some kind of STANAG magwell adapter. I think the proprietary clear 5.56 mags for the Vz. 58 give it a unique look. But a 7.62x39 version would be just as good, if not better.

Checked... it did.

800px-Strike_Back_S04E02_084.jpg

• Like 1

I vote none!

Well according to some of the people that attended pax the .30-06 should make a debut in the form of the m1 garand.

So that opens up the doors for a wide selection of hunting rifles.

how about none of the above.

Care to explain why?

Well according to some of the people that attended pax the .30-06 should make a debut in the form of the m1 garand.

So that opens up the doors for a wide selection of hunting rifles.

The Garand would certainly be an awesome rifle to have, possibly the lowest end battle rifle, being that it has few attachments (rifle grenades would be epic, though), an 8 round internal magazine (although it wouldn't need mags and would thus still need to be about as rare as the SKS), and the signature but also debilitating "Ping!" sound of the clip being ejected.

However, I'd much sooner rather see 7.62x54mmR and .308 be split into two different rounds, simply because they both allow for a wider range of variable firearms and still include hunting rifles. I don't know what the plan is, but my "perfect caliber plan" would be:

• 1 'varmint' round - .22LR | For a variety of low-caliber pistols, rifles, and even some SMGs
  • 1 compact round - .380 ACP | For compact pistols and SMGs, obviously, and .380 "pocket revolvers" - The Derringer will probably be a .380 variant, if not then a .22LR one.
  • 2 handgun rounds - 9x19mm & .45 ACP | Large variety of handguns, revolvers, SMGs, and even some carbines
  • 1 revolver round - .357 Magnum | For larger-caliber revolvers and some rifles, mainly lever-action
  • 3 intermediate rifle rounds - 5.56x45mm, 5.45x39mm, 7.62x39mm | To have a varied and balanced list of ARs, carbines, LMGs, and rifles
  • 2 'high-caliber' rifle rounds - 7.62x51mm/.308, 7.62x54mmR | For long rifles, snipers, DMRs, and MGs
  • 1 dedicated hunting-rifle round - .30-06 | A caliber that's relatively common but used essentially exclusively in civilian rifles
  • (Possible) Dedicated sniper round - .300 WM/.338 Lapua/12.7x99/12.7x108/14.5mm | Something extremely rare but used for super-long distance rifles, possibly anti-materiel or even anti-tank.
  • 1 40mm grenade round - 40mm Grenades | General 40mm grenade type for the M203/GP-25 as well as any standalone launcher, possibly with flare, smoke, and gas rounds. While the Western and Eastern 40mm grenades are slightly different, I don't see the point in separating the two since they function the same and grenade launchers as a whole are rare.
  • 1/2 shotgun rounds - 12 Gauge & possibly .410 Gauge | 12 Gauge obviously for most shotguns and .410 gauge for compact/varmint shotgun type weapons and pistols.
  • Other special, rare rounds - 9x39mm, PG-7V rockets, LAW rockets, etc. | Other weapons like the RPG-7, M72 LAW or whatever that use unique rockets would obviously need their own calibers. 9x39mm would be one of the rarest ammunition types but used in super powerful guns like the AS VAL/VSS Vintorez/AK-9/SR-2

That's a solid 14-15 different calibers (not including the rare calibers, since they're just special), but when you look at the weapon list made possible as a whole it'd probably be better while not going overboard. You can do most common Western and Eastern military & even civilian firearms in general with those. Obviously guns like the Tokarev, PPSh, or Nagant M1895 would need to use 9x19mm or other conversions, but they could still be done.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Care to explain why?

becuase there are other things that need done that are more important than adding more firearms.

-snip-

Well, if the M1 Garand rumors are true... and assuming they include .30-06... then we'll have 7.62x54R, .308, and .30-06.

Which is ideal, in my opinion. .30-06 for the common hunting rifles and low-rent battle rifles. 7.62x54R for the uncommon Warsaw Pact gear (i.e. Mosin, SVD, and PKM), then .308 for the rare NATO stuff.

Once that's done, or even if they don't add .30-06, all that's left in my opinion as necessary is a dedicated sniper rifle round.

I mean, we're really only talking about adding a handful of calibers (three or four depending on what one views as necessary).

If they do add the M1 Garand, they may not include .30-06 right away. So, we'll see. Just don't want people freaking out any more than is absolutely necessary.

Edited by Katana67

Not for nothing, but there's already a thread on this. Which was unfortunately titled in such a way that made it seem like it wasn't about this very topic (because it is about a personal attachment to an argument, rather than the argument itself).

Anywho...

I wouldn't mind any of the above.

If they were to add 5.45x39 as well as an AKS-74U that would be lovely!

If they were to add a 5.56 SBR AK variant, that would be cool too!

If they were to add a 7.62x39 SBR AK variant, that would be just as cool!

I guess I might prefer the 7.62x39 SBR AK over a 5.56 SBR AK. Obviously, I'd rather they have an AKS-74U in 5.45x39 (as adding 5.45x39 would add an extra layer with which to balance ammunition rarity). But, given that I feel that's the least likely scenario, I'd go with a 7.62x39 SBR AK due to how problematic/divisive the prospect of another AK chambered in 5.56x45 is.

If they were to add 5.45x39 though, I'd want them to dump the AK-101, re-chamber it in 5.45, and then re-name it accordingly. No sense in then having an AK-101 and an AK-74M. And it's not like there's any shortage of distinct 5.56x45 weapons to take its place.

And yes, after they knock out all the requisite AK archetypes left over (i.e. a SBR AK and an HBAR AK), I think Warsaw Pact stuff needs to go on the backburner for a while (save for the SVD which is ostensibly finished already, and perhaps a PKM/RPD). Hopefully a battle rifle (like an M14, FAL, G3, or AR-10) is on the 1.0 weapons list.

Hey! I take offense! This is causing me more mental anguish!

Seriously though, 5.45 all day every day. I will stand by that, for personal reasons.

Well, if the M1 Garand rumors are true... and assuming they include .30-06... then we'll have 7.62x54R, .308, and .30-06.

Which is ideal, in my opinion. .30-06 for the common hunting rifles and low-rent battle rifles. 7.62x54R for the uncommon Warsaw Pact gear (i.e. Mosin, SVD, and PKM), then .308 for the rare NATO stuff.

Once that's done, or even if they don't add .30-06, all that's left in my opinion as necessary is a dedicated sniper rifle round.

I mean, we're really only talking about adding a handful of calibers (three or four depending on what one views as necessary).

If they do add the M1 Garand, they may not include .30-06 right away. So, we'll see. Just don't want people freaking out any more than is absolutely necessary.

well .308 nato is for the nato stuff, hunting rifles use .308 winchester. they are not the same thing. its like how 5.56 nato and .223 rounds work. any rifle chambered for .556 nato can shoot .223 remington, but .223 rifles can not shoot 5.56 nato.

Edited by hellcat420

becuase there are other things that need done that are more important than adding more firearms.

Well, considering that they have a team of people who have specializations, I don't think it makes sense to have artists and modelers working on fixing bugs or adding new ground breaking features.

Plus, even content related stuff is worked on across the board, it's not like they throw all of their time into one thing.

And I was talking about in general. Even if they completely stopped adding new things to fix what we had, there'd still be a time and place for new stuff at some point.

.308 absolutely for rarer guns.

Of course this would mean making the Blaze 95 a .30-06 and the LongHorn a .223 but I have no real problem with doing that.

Either way the garand is only speculation, right now the closest two guns we can expect are the Rossi R92 and MP-133, then the AKS-74U. I'd say the derringer is next but because it's one of Rocket's personal projects like the MP5K was it might take a while (considering the gap between the MP5Ks announcement and actual implementation). We'll probably have the SVD and a few other guns before we get the actual derringer, but I wouldn't say that the derringer is at all groundbreaking, just a cool backup weapon.

Well, considering that they have a team of people who have specializations, I don't think it makes sense to have artists and modelers working on fixing bugs or adding new ground breaking features.

Plus, even content related stuff is worked on across the board, it's not like they throw all of their time into one thing.

And I was talking about in general. Even if they completely stopped adding new things to fix what we had, there'd still be a time and place for new stuff at some point.

there is plenty of new stuff that needs created/added other than guns. it has nothing to do with bug fixes.

there is plenty of new stuff that needs created/added other than guns. it has nothing to do with bug fixes.

And like I said, they're working on plenty of other stuff that isn't guns -

• A Firefighter Helmet
  • the SPOSN backpack
  • a 55 gallon drum
  • Cigarettes
  • Vodka
  • Dime Bags
  • Skate Helmets
  • Wallets
  • Radio Cassette Players
  • Waterproof bags & backpacks

And, of course they're working on new buildings for the NEAF and a new zombie model.

Having some new guns from time to time isn't a problem, we're getting plenty of other unrelated stuff.

• Like 1

I want to see a bigger focus on residential/hunting weapons.

• Like 2

And like I said, they're working on plenty of other stuff that isn't guns -

• A Firefighter Helmet
  • the SPOSN backpack
  • a 55 gallon drum
  • Cigarettes
  • Vodka
  • Dime Bags
  • Skate Helmets
  • Wallets
  • Radio Cassette Players
  • Waterproof bags & backpacks

And, of course they're working on new buildings for the NEAF and a new zombie model.

Having some new guns from time to time isn't a problem, we're getting plenty of other unrelated stuff.

those are small things. there are significant things that need to be done that will take a lot of resources, like vehicles, barricading, base building, etc.

those are small things. there are significant things that need to be done that will take a lot of resources, like vehicles, barricading, base building, etc.

Those are being worked on.

My point is that adding an AKS-74U is not getting in the way of vehicles or fortifications, both of which take far longer and much more people to do.

I want to see a bigger focus on residential/hunting weapons.

That would be nice. A few no frills no customization civilian rifles would also be nice. I wonder if the mauser that we saw a long time ago will return.

e3Lon9q.png

• Like 2

That would be nice. A few no frills no customization civilian rifles would also be nice. I wonder if the mauser that we saw a long time ago will return.

e3Lon9q.png

All that reminds me of is that one guy on the forums here somewhere that said 8mm should take a few shots to the torso to kill someone thinking it was smaller than a 9mm round because of what it was called. That was a funny post.

All that reminds me of is that one guy on the forums here somewhere that said 8mm should take a few shots to the torso to kill someone thinking it was smaller than a 9mm round because of what it was called. That was a funny post.

That, in turn, reminds me of a dude who thought that gas operated gun mechanisms mean that you have to connect propane tank to the weapon in order to shoot....

That, in turn, reminds me of a dude who thought that gas operated gun mechanisms mean that you have to connect propane tank to the weapon in order to shoot....

I gotta remember that to prank some new guys. "Hey guys we need you to pick up 20 combat loads of JP-8 at the fuels compound for our M240s and M249s."

• Like 1

well .308 nato is for the nato stuff, hunting rifles use .308 winchester. they are not the same thing. its like how 5.56 nato and .223 rounds work. any rifle chambered for .556 nato can shoot .223 remington, but .223 rifles can not shoot 5.56 nato.

I wasn't saying they were! Hence why I didn't even mention 7.62x51 NATO in the above post. At all.

I was speaking in terms of the game. Seeing as how they have to re-name the rounds (i.e. .308 rather than 7.62x51) in order to make it more straightforward.

And there are .308 civilian variants of pretty much every 7.62x51 weapon anyhow, so, I'm not worried. Not that I would be in the first place, for the reason I stated above (i.e. talking about the game, not reality).

• Like 1

Just received a reply to my inquiry about the plan for the AKS-74U.

Can't say specifics as it was a PM, but we may be "happy" when the AKS-74U rolls out.

I wasn't saying they were! Hence why I didn't even mention 7.62x51 NATO in the above post. At all.

I was speaking in terms of the game. Seeing as how they have to re-name the rounds (i.e. .308 rather than 7.62x51) in order to make it more straightforward.

And there are .308 civilian variants of pretty much every 7.62x51 weapon anyhow, so, I'm not worried. Not that I would be in the first place, for the reason I stated above (i.e. talking about the game, not reality).

Yeah, .308 and 7.62x51mm are essentially the same round. It's honestly not a huge deal if they make 7.62x51 guns use .308, even if they were made for the more powerful caliber.