Sign in to follow this  
RAM-bo4250

Tents. What are they good for? Absolutely Nuttin

I hate the fact that when someone gets killed they have an ability to gear up near instantaneously. Decisions have consequences. Bad decisions should have bad consequences.

The finished game is going to have a weight & stamina system. There will be such consequences for taking more loot than your character can handle. Players will be forced to take the bare essentials, in a nutshell.

The finished game is going to have a weight & stamina system. There will be such consequences for taking more loot than your character can handle. Players will be forced to take the bare essentials, in a nutshell.

I think Dayz has the concepts down pretty well. Every argument has excellent counterpoints. The concepts are well thought out. See if Dayz can deliver. I think it can. 

If you only had to buy a new copy of dayz when you died... That would be real hard-core.

never found, seen or used a tent yet but I'm assuming there's a limited space that you have to store your stuff. so it's not an infinite gun/ammo/food/clothing machine.

if someone is using it for their pvp resupply depot they've only got a handful of times to gear up from it. and it'll have to be restocked eventually... so really the time they save running back to the tent to gear up is gonna be spent restocking it in a short matter of time.

not to mention what others have said about body temp and weather screwing with everyone on the way to their tents.

in the end it's not gonna be the time saver some people are fearing

If you only had to buy a new copy of dayz when you died... That would be real hard-core.

Except that it wouldn't, because your loot would still persist in the server - so it would only delay your regearing by the length of time it takes to complete the purchasing/reinstalling process.

it's a double edged sword, the persistence...on one hand, i completely agree that having ridiculous caches, and worse yet, clans or groups with said caches that go and pick up their bro immediately after he dies- this sort of thing really softens the otherwise brutal edge of consequence. it's kind of like if a roguelike such as nethack had a magical bag of holding that you could throw your favourite items into for next time. it's kind of annoying when i see / kill a guy that is fully geared but is playing like a moron, because the consequence to him doing so is basically negligible. i know even after i kill him, he's on TS and his buddy is bringing him a shiny new M4.

on the other hand, setting up a camp / home base of some kind makes complete sense in a survival scenario / game. like, why wouldn't you be able to?

what kind of constructive suggestions are there to combat this? the first thing that comes to mind to me, is that anything persistent you've built such as a tent, gets destroyed upon your death. true to the roguelike example above, you can save your stuff, and have your camp, but when you die, it's all from scratch.

However a clan or group is likely to have surplus supplies, so the dead player is just a new person they found and took into their midst and equipped. Tents for small groups/individuals get found and raided so they don't guarantee gear after you die. Tents used to disappear a week after you died in the mod I think but it should be quicker in the SA.

However a clan or group is likely to have surplus supplies, so the dead player is just a new person they found and took into their midst and equipped. Tents for small groups/individuals get found and raided so they don't guarantee gear after you die. Tents used to disappear a week after you died in the mod I think but it should be quicker in the SA.

I think the best way round it would be have tents be degradable. So, you have to patch them up to keep their condition from slipping to 'ruined', whereupon the items inside them begin to degrade as well. Thereby an unattended tent and its contents disappears after a while, and you avoid having to include inauthentic concepts like "ownership" of stored loot.

• Like 1

I think the best way round it would be have tents be degradable. So, you have to patch them up to keep their condition from slipping to 'ruined', whereupon the items inside them begin to degrade as well. Thereby an unattended tent and its contents disappears after a while, and you avoid having to include inauthentic concepts like "ownership" of stored loot.

This!

I have NOT been playing my Hardcore guy for awhile as he has a tent,waiting on update, in his backpack. Today I log on to him and the tent is GONE from his inventory ????

Any input on this?

Dred