Cap'n (DayZ)

Has the battle been won?

We have fought hard, on many fronts, for many days now. For all we have seen, it has been a losing battle. Every time it was brought up, we were defeated by redundancy and entropy. The rhetoric and quoting overran our meager forces. But we fought hard for our cause. We fought like men, real men. And this time, I accepted defeat. Our spearhead against the anti-5.45 forces was quickly shot down, and it seemed as there was no way of victory. At that point, I accepted the impossibility of our cause. But, there is hope.

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-01-sept-14

"Something a bit newer is an AKS74U which is a work in progress by one of our talented artists,"

"AK101 retexture"

I may be over exaggerating things, but this gave me hope. Hope, that the devs have not forgotten. Our valiant fight against the forces of 5.56-everything may not be in vain after all. We may not have to suffer the defeat of compromise, and the implementation of 7.62x39 variants that never saw extensive use. In the end, they might just see our point. Now, we wait.

Because some day, I hope that my children will be able to enjoy 5.45x39 without living in fear of compromise. All this bloodshed, all these good men and arguments lost, won't be in vain.

PdHT3nC.png

"Slavnaya pobeda strastnykh voinov v zashchitu Chernorussii !"

• Like 7

I want 5.45x39 in game, but I have a feeling the "AKS74U" will be re chambered to either 7.62x39 or 5.56x45.

One can hope, but they'll prolly just rechamber it to 5.56 NATO or 7.62x39

Because authenticity in firearms is apparently unnecessary 

We have fought hard, on many fronts, for many days now. For all we have seen, it has been a losing battle. Every time it was brought up, we were defeated by redundancy and entropy. The rhetoric and quoting overran our meager forces. But we fought hard for our cause. We fought like men, real men. And this time, I accepted defeat. Our spearhead against the anti-5.45 forces was quickly shot down, and it seemed as there was no way of victory. At that point, I accepted the impossibility of our cause. But, there is hope.

Well written brother, well written! 

Many of us got bloodied in this rightful struggle and there might be, in the end, a glimmer of hope yet!

p.s. That was exactly what I though when reading about AKS74U being added since this baby is not chambered in anything than 5.45x39.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that 5.45 will come eventually.

It is far too prevalent and would make too much sense from both a realism stance and from gameplay aspects.

It will probably come in the easiest form too a simple renaming of the ak 101.

I have a feeling that 5.45 will come eventually.

It is far too prevalent and would make too much sense from both a realism stance and from gameplay aspects.

It will probably come in the easiest form too a simple renaming of the ak 101.

The thing is, that AKS74U should be only in 5.45 right?

If they wanted to pull that caliber trick again, they could have just introduced some shortened version of AKM, no matter how rare that one might be.

The thing is, that AKS74U should be only in 5.45 right?

If they wanted to pull that caliber trick again, they could have just introduced some shortened version of AKM, no matter how rare that one might be.

Yes but I was not even aware there was a AKS74u in the works.

Haha nope, sorry! How about a drum magazine for the M4 instead?!?!?! pewpewpewpewpewpew

Not to be debbie downer, but they said the AK-74M would come out too... but released the AK-101 instead. So it could be that Torchia just said "AKS74U" because it's a familiar model and we'd know what he's talking about, and they really intend to release a 5.56x45 or 7.62x39 variant (of which there are many).

I've inquired about what the plan is, hopefully I hear something positive with regard to 5.45x39. If not, I personally won't mind. But if so, cool beans.

And I would caution you against retroactively casting yourselves to be "downtrodden." Many of the arguments put forth for why 5.45x39 should be included, were just as un-effing-reasonable as the arguments you're now saying were the result of a "majority" against you (even though, ironically, when the actual argument about 5.45x39 was happening... many of you claimed to be representing a majority). And if you're proud of fighting against compromise, then you're an extremist. And extremists cannot be reasoned with, which is something that I personally do not find to be praiseworthy.

So, perhaps consider a little grace/humility if things go your way (which they haven't just yet). And it's not without a measure of condescension when I say this, but you didn't see me creating a victory lap thread whenever they decided to rename the AK-74M to get it in the game (which actually happened).

To re-iterate, I want 5.45x39. I do not view it as a necessity. It would be a good addition.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

Well guys a bit of good news for some of us gun junkies. Looks like the carbine version of the AK-74, the AKS-74u is being designed for in game use according to the dayz tumblr. Also the AK-101, which is was originally started out as an AK-74 and re-colored with black furniture is receiving a new model (Perhaps one of the modernized platforms seen at Eastern European defense expos) hinting that the AKS-74u and it's rifle length big brother the AK-74 may debut together in an upcoming update. Anyone else excited?

Looks like 5.45 was already textured from the looks of this image if I'm not mistaken:

https DOT twitter.com/ctorchia/status/396756761069109248

for some reason I can't direct link twitter.

Edited by Dale Gribble

Looks like 5.45 was already textured from the looks of this image if I'm not mistaken

You're half correct. 5.45x39 is in-fact, in DayZ currently.

The current AK-101 magazines have visible 5.45x39 rounds inside of them, but it still is chambered in 5.56x45 (hence why the difference is largely semantic in this particular case, as it just involves swapping of names).

bA0ofUx.jpg

The rounds pictured in that old rendering (from last November IIRC, before SA was even released), though, are not 5.45x39 (pictured below). Looks much more like vanilla 7.62x51/.308 to me.

5.45x39.jpg

That was one thing that was cheap about turning the AK-74 to the AK-101, while I appreciated they recolored the furniture black, I really hated that the magazine still had a 5.45 round. they could have at least recolored the casing to brass. The same thing happened with the CZ bolt action gun. However in that twitter post, it seems that the AK-74 round as an item was developed.

One can hope, but they'll prolly just rechamber it to 5.56 NATO or 7.62x39

Because authenticity in firearms is apparently unnecessary

You're right, it isn't necessary. You guys are whining about the right bullet going into the right gun in a video game where morphine instantly and permanently fixes broken limbs, among other extremely unrealistic aspects.

Unturned is arguably a better survival experience than DayZ because it embraces the fact it's a video game with survival aspects on every front. Their ammunition scheme is "civilian bullets" and "military bullets" blanketed across every gun type, and the game is still great.

DayZ doesn't need to worry about unimportant stuff like ammunition authenticity at this juncture; it's got much more important issues to take care of.

• Like 1

Say the ak74 does make it back and they choose to keep both the ak101 and add an ak74.

What version would fit in ?

Obviously if the AK101 sticks it would far too similar to the ak74m confusing some players.

So do they go with the aks-74. ak74 with plum furniture , ak74 with light tan bakelite furniture ?

Also people should be more excited about a derringer hopefully it signifies another .22lr weapon a good prostitute pistol. Hopefully lace is added so we can holster it on our inner thigh.

• Like 1

AK101 makes no sense in a former Soviet satellite state as they'd not be using any NATO calibres and have enormous amounts of 5.45x39 in storage IF the government of Chernarus ever decided to upgrade from 7.62x39.

You're right, it isn't necessary. You guys are whining about the right bullet going into the right gun in a video game where morphine instantly and permanently fixes broken limbs, among other extremely unrealistic aspects.

Unturned is arguably a better survival experience than DayZ because it embraces the fact it's a video game with survival aspects on every front. Their ammunition scheme is "civilian bullets" and "military bullets" blanketed across every gun type, and the game is still great.

DayZ doesn't need to worry about unimportant stuff like ammunition authenticity at this juncture; it's got much more important issues to take care of.

But the game is touted as an authentic and realistic survival experience, so why should they betray that? Yeah, too many calibers are unnecessary. I don't think Unturned is doing it right though (ammunition is WAY too easy to find, if that's the case), and I was just moderately bothered at how uncharacteristic it was, mainly on Bohemia's part. They develop hyper realistic games, so I didn't expect them to forgo adding 2 or 3 more rounds (too many is too many, sure). I also took it to heart, because the AK-74 is my favorite gun in ArmA, the mod, and real life. And the fact that it's attached to the lore, it just didn't really make sense to me. They added .380 JUST after that announcement. Huh? I'm getting mixed messages here, what are they actually doing? 

Is it wrong that I provide a counterpoint?

• Like 1

Say the ak74 does make it back and they choose to keep both the ak101 and add an ak74.

What version would fit in ?

Obviously if the AK101 sticks it would far too similar to the ak74m confusing some players.

So do they go with the aks-74. ak74 with plum furniture , ak74 with light tan bakelite furniture ?

Errr, I'm not sure of your question.

If they included both the AK-101 and AK-74M, then they'd both "fit in" because they're in the game.

All that's needed on the AK end, are four generic AK-pattern archetypes.

1. The "modernized" AK (i.e. AK-101, AK74M, AK-103).

2. The "vanilla" AK (i.e. AKM)

3. The SBR AK (i.e. AKS74U, AKMS, Zastava M85)

4. The HBAR AK (i.e. RPK, RPK-74M, RPK-201)

And perhaps a bullpup AK.

Whatever caliber they're in, once they're covered, I want them to give AKs a break.

The furniture aspect is covered by the attachment system, not any given weapon being included.

Edited by Katana67

No it is necessary, this game was marketed as a hardcore experience and an "anti game", not some causal garbage like unturned. If ammunition authenticity is "unimportant" to you then it would benefit you to try some other causal games that won't make you think too hard.

Furthermore, to use a cliche phrase, its an alpha, the morphine mechanic is a placeholder and may be adjusted or made more difficult before release. I would bet having to find a compatible blood-type to make a transfusion is really difficult in your gaming experience.

If they included both the AK-101 and AK-74M, then they'd both "fit in" because they're in the game.

Whatever caliber they're in, once they're covered, I want them to give AKs a break.

The furniture aspect is covered by the attachment system, not any given weapon being included.

No I agree they both fit in.

What I am asking is what variant do they put in to avoid casual player confusion.

AK101 makes no sense in a former Soviet satellite state as they'd not be using any NATO calibres and have enormous amounts of 5.45x39 in storage IF the government of Chernarus ever decided to upgrade from 7.62x39.

Really? This type of stuff is still in the water supply? Just off the top of my head...

Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Czech Republic, Germany [formerly East/West], Georgia, are all former Soviet countries which have standard-issue service rifles chambered in 5.56x45.

It's also worth mentioning that ten former Warsaw Pact countries are a part of NATO now.

Deleted. Adds nothing to convo. Sorry.

Edited by RAM-bo4250

A real fault on the devs is not rolling out several AK pattern weapons that aren't rifles (or course they may still do that at a later date). For example if there was a Vityaz,Saiga 12,AKM, AK-74, and AK-101 in game then we have a family of weapons that can be used in several different roles and various calibers, but accept the same accessories such as the PSO,KOBRA, and share buttstocks,handguards, and in some cases muzzle breaks. This is not including picatinny rail mounted optics,flashlights and laser aiming modules.

What I am asking is what variant do they put in to avoid casual player confusion.

Well personally, I don't really assign much validity to the "it's confusing" argument put forth by the developers. But, if I were to work within the confines of that argument, I'd include perhaps a Polish 5.45x39 variant instead of the AK-74M.

But then again, I don't particularly see a need for both the AK-101 and AK-74M. If I had to choose, and if 5.45x39 were included, I'd dump the AK-101.

I think it should be one or the other, not both (as that would be wholly redundant).

And either way (unless they're willing to render an entire line of AKs in 5.56, 5.45, and 7.62 at the same time) there's going to be an outlier. Which is why I want 7.62x39 to be the "common" round, only able to be used in the AKM and CZ 527. And 5.45x39 to be the "uncommon" round to be used in the rarer, but more varied, lineup of AKs (like the AK-74M, RPK-74M, and AKS-74U).